Vehicles that you wouldn't think could have a standard shift

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Vehicles that you wouldn't think could have a standard shift

Post by theholycow »

Stelcom66 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:19 pmAnother van that came with a standard shift was the Chevy Astro if it had the base 4 cylinder engine. The 4.3V6 was by far in the majority of them, of course only with an automatic.
The Astro 4.3 was available with three pedals 1985-1989. It had possibly the strongest NWC T5 and the only 11 inch clutch with a 1 inch 14 spline hub. This I know because it is very relevant to my 1980 Buick conversion. Also, the T5 currently in my car is from a 1986 Astro 4.3.

Of course it was certainly quite rare for anyone to actually order one that way, I assume, as they are super-rare now.

It was a miracle when I stumbled on one at the Pick 'n' Pull. It was under 40°F, raining, and an hour or two until closing time. My aging, non-mechanically-inclined dad was with me. We ripped that bitch out like cavemen. Unfortunately there wasn't time to get the clutch disc, but I don't think the 11" disc will fit anyway; my flywheel/clutch cover assy/pressure plate is for 10.4" (but there is no 10.4" OEM application, only an expensive custom racing part, so I use a 9" or 9.4" from more common applications).

Dad thought I was nuts buying a transmission for a failure that hadn't happened yet, but a year or two later I needed it and finding any appropriate T5, let alone that extra-strength one, would have required time and money that I wouldn't have had...it sure was cheaper getting it when the getting was good, and it was great having it in-stock when I needed it!
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Colour me surprised. I didn't realize the Asstrough came with a 4 cylinder engine at 1 point. Must have shared all the things with the S10 (and Bladder).
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

theholycow wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:06 am
Stelcom66 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:19 pmAnother van that came with a standard shift was the Chevy Astro if it had the base 4 cylinder engine. The 4.3V6 was by far in the majority of them, of course only with an automatic.
The Astro 4.3 was available with three pedals 1985-1989. It had possibly the strongest NWC T5 and the only 11 inch clutch with a 1 inch 14 spline hub. This I know because it is very relevant to my 1980 Buick conversion. Also, the T5 currently in my car is from a 1986 Astro 4.3.
Interesting - always thought the 4.3 Astro had to be an automatic. The 3.0 V6 Ford Aerostar I had briefly (had to think about trading in after driving it in snow for the first time) had a 5 speed manual. It was a nice powertrain but the van was very spartan.
potownrob wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:26 am
AWD civic wagon of that vintage had a 6 speed manual with a granny 1st gear. sehr cool. almost went to look at one of those back in the early to mid 2000s. a lot of those 4 banger manual poverty spec trucks i'm not sure i'd want to attempt driving in modern day traffic. vista had a weak 2 litre 4. i never knew til decades later that it was so weak and slow. dad said it was a turtle, even before the tranny problems. :shock:
That made me think of the Toyota Tercel AWD wagon. A neighbor had one with a manual shift, I think it was an '86. That model had a relatively limited run. Sounds like your Dodge Vista had the base engine - or maybe the 2.6L 4 wasn't available then. That was the same Mitsubishi engine that was optional in the first gen Dodge/Plymouth minivans, and I thought the Vista as well.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Stelcom66 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:09 pm(had to think about trading in after driving it in snow for the first time) had a 5 speed manual. It was a nice powertrain but the van was very spartan.
I imagine the rear end was not very heavy, though better than a pickup. For snow you would want good snow tires and some ballast.

And yeah, the Astro and Aerostar were spartan, kinda special-purpose vans for businesses and people needing RWD body-on-frame tough "work truck"-built small vans for hauling and trailering. Some were sold as/used as family vans to compete with the typical FWD minivan but that's totally not the right market segment for them.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I drove a 4.0 Aerostar Eddie Bauer edition. Turquoise over tan and 4 captains chairs. Topped out and 90mph.

160 horsepressures for something that weighed as much as a small moon.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Amish V-6 Diesel Gladiator Pick-m-Up in 2020?
http://www.autonews.com/article/2018112 ... how-toledo

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpxlfy9XMOE[/youtube]
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"