Manuals you'll miss in 2019...

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Manuals you'll miss in 2019...

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:16 pm Audi kills TT as it bids to emerge as a premium EV brand
https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/ ... o-readmore

This might be the last nice pair of TTs you'll ever see.
am eye the only won who just realized your photo was of a couple of 2nd gen TTs?? eye stihl want a 3rd gen TT though... :shock:

::droool::
Last edited by potownrob on Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:37 pm Toyota's Japan-Only GR Yaris Hatchback Has a 268-hp Turbo Three
The GR Yaris' 1.6-liter turbo is the most powerful three-banger in the world.
The GR Yaris is only offered with a six-speed manual transmission.
https://www.autoweek.com/news/sports-ca ... rbo-three/
ugh why bother :?
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

"HEY, MIKEY LIKES IT!"

2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0 Review: Perfect for a Very Specific Sort of Buyer - AUTOWEEK

"It simply isn't true that the family sedan is dead, even if American manufacturers seem to be more or less ignoring it in favor of crossovers. At the same time, sedans like this—which don't punish you for selecting a manual transmission by forcing you to accept a base-grade engine and a poverty-spec interior—are all but gone. Very few people are going to option an Accord this way. Honda surely knows that this particular combination of features does not add up to a volume-seller. But it went and built it anyway. You get the sense that this one's for us."

"But for under $32,000, which is a few thousand bucks under the average transaction price for new cars these days, the Accord feels like the one I'd be very happy to daily-drive. Don't get me wrong: Piloting this Honda is not a mind-blowing experience. It's a very good car, not a game-changer. But this particular combination of features, especially the transmission and the 2.0-liter turbo, help elevate it from sensible to special. The experience it offers is harder and harder to find."

https://www.autoweek.com/drives/a305993 ... 5-readmore
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:40 pm "HEY, MIKEY LIKES IT!"

2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0 Review: Perfect for a Very Specific Sort of Buyer - AUTOWEEK

"It simply isn't true that the family sedan is dead, even if American manufacturers seem to be more or less ignoring it in favor of crossovers. At the same time, sedans like this—which don't punish you for selecting a manual transmission by forcing you to accept a base-grade engine and a poverty-spec interior—are all but gone. Very few people are going to option an Accord this way. Honda surely knows that this particular combination of features does not add up to a volume-seller. But it went and built it anyway. You get the sense that this one's for us."

"But for under $32,000, which is a few thousand bucks under the average transaction price for new cars these days, the Accord feels like the one I'd be very happy to daily-drive. Don't get me wrong: Piloting this Honda is not a mind-blowing experience. It's a very good car, not a game-changer. But this particular combination of features, especially the transmission and the 2.0-liter turbo, help elevate it from sensible to special. The experience it offers is harder and harder to find."

https://www.autoweek.com/drives/a305993 ... 5-readmore
eye kinda wish (if eye were in the market for a car and were ten years junger) they specced the 1.5 turbo sport accord similar to the 2.0 turbo sport model. the 2.0 sport is based on the EX, so it has heated seats, moonroof, siriusxm and a good stereo, and other goodies. the 1.5 sport is based on the LX, so it doesn't have the sunroof, heated seats or siriusxm; it is specced better than the LX though, with leather steering wheel, nicer power seats and better stereo, but it still feels rather lowend. still better than the 9th gen (13-17) accord sport though. you could go up to the 1.5 EX, but then you don't get the leather wheel and trim, nor the manual transmission option. The EX is specced well, practically speaking, but it doesn't feel upscale like the EX-L, Touring or 2.0 Sport doo.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

First Drive: 2020 Polaris Slingshot Has a New Polaris Engine and an Automatic

...but get the stick!
"After that drive, I jumped into an R with AutoDrive. As an enthusiast driver I must say I was disappointed with this shift calibration. It seemed to take forever to make the shifts between gears, no matter the throttle position or the drive mode selected. It reminded me of the awful setup in the Smart Fortwo, with its long pauses followed by clunks. Sergeant later said this transmission was made to accommodate a wide variety of drivers, not just those seeking to explore the handling limit. But I gotta think even those guys don’t want to wait a week and a half between gear shifts."

Sounds tummy like it's an automated manual. The clutch, shift lever, and maybe the throttle too are being operated based on the recommendation of a committee - after a formal vote is taken. If it was a dual-clutch trans, shift time would have been reduced by preselecting the next gear so the shifting and synchronization are done in advance.

https://www.autoweek.com/drives/a305256 ... automatic/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

...but Honda is still keepin' it real under the hood!

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/royal-o ... 4221163744
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

BMW WILL HAVE MANUAL TRANS IN NEW M3 & M4
And before we go, we’re pleased to report that manual transmissions are far from dead. BMW confirmed the new M3 and M4 will have a manual option. The less sporty versions of those cars no longer offer a manual because demand had fallen off. But for hard core enthusiasts who don’t give a rip how fast an automatic can shift, and who derive so much pleasure from heel-and-toe driving and matching revs, niche sports cars.are the one place where manual transmissions will live on.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/02/bmw ... confirmed/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Will EVs Spell the Death of Manual Transmissions?
Electric car adoption is slowly increasing, at least in wealthy countries

Comments section is often the best part of the article:

"bbardog7
1 day ago

As a fact check, I own 2 cars with a manual (911, older audi s4) and would not think of buying an automatic or dual clutch automatic in a sports car or sports sedan. No fun, it does not work for me, I love my MTs! That said, it's hard not to see the writing on the wall - the market for these is too small and niche to be economical, and it keeps shrinking. MTs only make sense with Internal combustion engines, and EVs are practically destined to be the majority of sales in 10+ years in most of the developed world. A few years ago I thought they would carry on as sort of a cult product for a small % of buyers, kind of like how Apple PCs were in the early 2000s - they appealed to a certain audience. More and more MTs seem like classical music - still beautiful to some but not something anyone writes any longer. 10 more years is almost a best case I am afraid....
😟

Jscott1000
bbardog7
1 day ago

However, the thing is, automakers certainly could make manual transmission cars even on EVs if that's what people wanted. Problem is that people who want it are dwindling."

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/class ... smissions/
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

The difference is that the performance/efficiency tradeoff for saving the cost, weight, and complexity of a multispeed transmission with an ICE is crippling (so much so that the Model T was a two-speed), while the performance/efficiency benefit of adding the cost, weight, and complexity of a multispeed transmission to an electric drive system is comparatively small.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:20 pm ...but Honda is still keepin' it real under the hood!

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/royal-o ... 4221163744
Very clever the sideways moving article vs scrolling down.

Where is the under hood photo? Real under the hood IMO means no stupid plastic cover over the engine.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:51 pm BMW WILL HAVE MANUAL TRANS IN NEW M3 & M4
And before we go, we’re pleased to report that manual transmissions are far from dead. BMW confirmed the new M3 and M4 will have a manual option. The less sporty versions of those cars no longer offer a manual because demand had fallen off. But for hard core enthusiasts who don’t give a rip how fast an automatic can shift, and who derive so much pleasure from heel-and-toe driving and matching revs, niche sports cars.are the one place where manual transmissions will live on.

The paint job on that thing looks like what kids did to their cars in the 1960s after they dropped acid. They would get a lace table cloth, lay it over the car, and rattle can it for the psyco-dellic look.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:58 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:51 pm BMW WILL HAVE MANUAL TRANS IN NEW M3 & M4

The paint job on that thing looks like what kids did to their cars in the 1960s after they dropped acid. They would get a lace table cloth, lay it over the car, and rattle can it for the psyco-dellic look.
"Chantilly Lace and a pretty face, with a pony tail hangin' down...."
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

CADILLAC REVEALS BLACKWING SEDANS - from Autoline Daily
And in other GM news, Cadillac’s Blackwing V models finally made their debut yesterday. Some of the unique styling bits include a front underwing, rocker extensions and rear diffuser, which can all be had in carbon fiber, as well as wider fenders with air outlets on the back side to let out heat. Every grille element on the front fascia is open to not only feed the additional radiators and coolers that are needed but also the powerful engines lurking underneath the hood of the CT4- and CT5-V Blackwing. The 4 comes with a twin-turbo 3.6L V6 that makes 472 horsepower and 445 lb-ft of torque that will move the car from 0 to 60 MPH in 3.8 seconds with the optional 10-speed automatic transmission. A TREMEC 6-speed manual comes standard in both models, which also features pedals that are optimised for heel and toe shifting. The CT5-V Blackwing features a 668 horsepower supercharged 6.2L V8 that makes 659 lb-ft of torque and moves the sedan from 0 to 60 MPH in 3.7 seconds with the automatic. Those hulking engines aren’t the only thing that need a lot of fresh air, so do the brakes. Both models get Brembo 6-piston front calipers and 4-piston rear calipers, while the CT5-V Blackwing will also have a carbon ceramic brake option. Cadillac is equipping the cars with its 4th generation Magnetic Ride Control suspensions system featuring new accelerometers and inertial sensors that allow it to react 4 times faster than the previous system. The interior will come in base, mid- and high-level choices but all feature seats with enough bolstering to keep your butt firmly planted as well as a sporty steering wheel and 12-inch customizable instrument cluster. Now let’s talk price. The CT4-V Blackwing starts just under $60,000 while the CT5-V Blackwing is about $85,000. Both include destination charges and look for examples to start hitting dealerships this summer.

"Manual transmission is standard

Rare for sport sedans today, a six-speed TREMEC manual transmission is standard on both vehicles. It has been optimized for each V-Series Blackwing vehicle to provide an engaging experience on the track or on the road. Details include:

LuK twin-disc clutch for high torque capacity and great pedal feel
Active Rev Matching accessible via a console mounted toggle switch to automatically adjust engine speed to match anticipated downshifts
No-Lift Shift allowing the driver to shift gears without letting off the gas pedal. In the case of the CT4-V Blackwing, it allows the turbos to remain spooled, resulting in faster lap times
Transmission and rear differential cooling – the manual and automatic transmissions use the same track-performance cooling system for greater track performance
Clutch and brake pedals positioned for optimal driver ergonomics
A physical barrier stop for the clutch pedal rather than a hydraulic master cylinder stop provides greater driver feedback during clutch operation
A shorter shifter ratio than previous generations for more precise shifts."

https://media.cadillac.com/media/us/en/ ... kwing.html
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:41 pm The difference is that the performance/efficiency tradeoff for saving the cost, weight, and complexity of a multispeed transmission with an ICE is crippling (so much so that the Model T was a two-speed), while the performance/efficiency benefit of adding the cost, weight, and complexity of a multispeed transmission to an electric drive system is comparatively small.
This company thinks they can generate savings on right-sizing the electric motor and batteries with their 2-Speed trans for electric vehicles.

In the article there is a link to an animation that shows shifts being accomplished under load.

https://www.sae.org/news/2021/02/inmoti ... efficiency
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:23 pm
IMBoring25 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:41 pm The difference is that the performance/efficiency tradeoff for saving the cost, weight, and complexity of a multispeed transmission with an ICE is crippling (so much so that the Model T was a two-speed), while the performance/efficiency benefit of adding the cost, weight, and complexity of a multispeed transmission to an electric drive system is comparatively small.
This company thinks they can generate savings on right-sizing the electric motor and batteries with their 2-Speed trans for electric vehicles.

In the article there is a link to an animation that shows shifts being accomplished under load.

https://www.sae.org/news/2021/02/inmoti ... efficiency
I would think that a CVT would be the way to go with an electric vehicle no?
Stick shiftin since '77