Manuals you'll miss in 2019...

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Manuals you'll miss in 2019...

Post by tankinbeans »

watkins wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:12 am
bk7794 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:45 pm You can add the Jeep Renegade to the list.
Im not sure anyone is actually going to miss that.
I will say the power numbers out of the new 1.3T seem good 177/200. Do I want it? No. Would I pay for it? No. Is it a decent rig? Couldn't say.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

watkins wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:12 am

Im not sure anyone is actually going to miss that.
It was a nice addition to a conversation, hey! the Renegade comes with a stick.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

New Aisin chief ready to scrap old products
"Scrap and build will be one policy that we take on," Ise said. "If the product does not have a good future, then it will be a candidate for scrapping."

Aisin Seiki is reviewing its product lines. And manual transmissions are on the chopping block, he said. Indeed, Aisin Seiki consolidated its Japanese production of manual transmissions to create factory space for more automatic gearboxes.

"The objective is to free up key resources and focus them on more important areas," he said.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018100 ... t-products
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AutoWeek Sez: 2019 Toyota Corolla hatchback essentials: The stick-shift lives (just not in ours)

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/car-review ... z5hyU6L7rj
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Ford Mustang gets Focus RS-inspired performance package
"When our team got the chance to try this specially built engine in a Mustang, we immediately agreed, 'We have to do this,' " Carl Widmann, chief engineer of the Mustang, said in a statement. "It's not just the horsepower gains over the standard 2.3-litre EcoBoost, it's the broader torque curve that delivers 90 per cent of peak torque between 2,500 and 5,300 rpm, which is 40 per cent wider than the base EcoBoost engine."

Widmann said the new package also enables "more usable power and torque for enthusiasts and weekend autocrossers to enjoy."

Ford says the 2.3-litre High Performance package will give the Mustang a mid-4-second 0-to-60 mph time and a top speed of 250 km/h (55 mph), 55 km/h (34 mph) faster than the base EcoBoost Mustang. It adds semi-metallic brakes, specially calibrated MagneRide dampers and other performance parts.

The package will be available on the fastback coupe and convertible models configured with either the six-speed manual or 10-speed automatic transmission. It can be ordered in one of four new Mustang colors for 2020: Grabber Lime, Iconic Silver, Red Hot Metallic Tinted Clearcoat and Twister Orange."

https://canada.autonews.com/automakers/ ... 2-readmore
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt and Turbot ain't just a squished fish.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

It Doesn't Look Good for the Home Team.....
Honda to reduce model trim lines, streamline output
https://www.autonews.com/automakers-sup ... ine-output
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Would there be high enough economies of scale to offer each model with all of the options available? The random options packages just make life more difficult for the manufacturer.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:32 am Would there be high enough economies of scale to offer each model with all of the options available? The random options packages just make life more difficult for the manufacturer.
The component suppliers and the vehicle assembly plant would like to build them all one way, one color, etc.

Grouping options into models / packages is a great way of getting someone to move up to spending more than they planned because they just can't live without some option that requires them to move up to the next level. It also allows for advertising the price of the lowliest version of the vehicle to draw in customers and then saying "Oh, you want a pedal to operate the clutch?...Well, for that you have to move up to the Extra-Limited Unobtanium level. Oh, and it comes with those floor mats you talked about + a bunch of stuff you didn't mention wanting."

Building to several models / packages is not as much chaos for the supply chain or the vehicle assembly plants as if you just made everything a discrete option.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I'd certainly prefer an a la cart menu. Just from my recent perusal of what's on the market a car was taken off my list because the sunroof only came with a package of options and "safety" kit that I didn't want, also a CVT would have been required. Ack
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:22 pm I'd certainly prefer an a la cart menu. Just from my recent perusal of what's on the market a car was taken off my list because the sunroof only came with a package of options and "safety" kit that I didn't want, also a CVT would have been required. Ack
Eye yam widcha, butt ya sea it's a prophet deal. They make more money getting you to "Buy Up" than if they let you buy just what you wanted and not an option more.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meBXuuy9xto[/youtube]
What's interesting tummy is how little it actually costs the automaker to provide those alternate components vs what they axe hugh to pay phorem. Again, it's a Prophet thang.....the comfortable seat doesn't cost them that much more than the base seat, ...and don't get me started on engines. For years, the 5.7 Hemi cost less to stick in a car than many 6-cylinders and even less than all turbo-four cylinders at Chrysler. Amish transmission, clutch, flysheel, clutch release system and Shift System almost always costs quite a bit more than a flex plate, torque converter, Slushbox, and shift system, yet you know they charged more for the slushbox. So the extra prophet was the sticker price difference + the cost difference. If everyone bought Amish, the prophet would drop about $1000-$1500 on each vehicle sold compared to if everyone bought a slushbox. Multiply that by a cupola million vehicles per year and it starts becoming a buncha money.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:22 pm I'd certainly prefer an a la cart menu. Just from my recent perusal of what's on the market a car was taken off my list because the sunroof only came with a package of options and "safety" kit that I didn't want, also a CVT would have been required. Ack
sounds like a subaru to meeee. :| :shock: :x
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:18 am
Impreza. Nice enough car otherwise, but I have my wants.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:07 am
potownrob wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:18 am
Impreza. Nice enough car otherwise, but I have my wants.
Hopefully Mazda lets you have a moonroof with your manual...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Why Honda is simplifying trim choices
TOKYO — Click Honda's online configurator for the Civic and you will enter a rabbit hole of options. For the sedan alone, there are DX, LX, EX, Sport and Touring in Canada, as well as the sporty Si.

That plethora of choices may be great for consumers, but not so much for the automaker. Honda Motor Co. CEO Takahiro Hachigo said last week that complicated vehicle configurations are sapping the company's resources from both development and manufacturing.

Hachigo now says it is time to simplify.
The CEO said Honda will slash the number of trim and option variations to a third of their current level by 2025 across its worldwide lineup.

How complicated has it gotten for Honda? Consider the Civic Touring sedan.
That model has three choices of 17-inch wheels and three versions of 18-inch options. Top that off with four options for cabin illumination and two choices of accent trim.

https://canada.autonews.com/automakers/ ... 2-headline