Do yall ever accidentally hit both the gas and brake?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
PILL
Senior Standardshifter

Do yall ever accidentally hit both the gas and brake?

Post by PILL »

It seems like I do this all the time. I will be braking and I notice my revs spike a few hundred RPM's. Does anyone else do this a lot too?
the dumblonde
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Ouback 2.5 XT Limited

Re: Do yall ever accidentally hit both the gas and brake?

Post by the dumblonde »

Nope. I do intentionally hit both at the same time though. :mrgreen:
PILL
Senior Standardshifter

Post by PILL »

paul34 wrote:Only once in a riced out tC with ricer pedal covers. The gas was seriously contacting the brake pedal... they were rubbing each other. Oh and it was a slushie.

Luckily in these cases, the revs will go up but the braking action still stays, mostly. Modern brakes FTW.
Yeah, it's not that big of a deal with a stick.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

It happens from time to time. Depending on my shoes, my bigger issue is an accidental clutch/brake combo.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

i did for a while after i got pedals in my car, i put them about 2" apart for ease of heel toeing, took me a while to get used to not hit the gas with the side of my foot when i was trying to brake
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I've only done it once or twice, but I think I tend to have vehicles with well-separated pedals.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah, once or twice. It happens.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

it's happened to me before when i was still getting the hang of heel-toe and was braking with my foot in position for the heel-toe and ended up jamming down the throttle too while i was braking. the problem i've encountered a couple of times lately is hitting the brake when i'm going for the clutch. got some new shoes that are kind of wide at the ball of my foot and i've had a couple of times where i'll be braking, and i'll go to clutch in, and the edge of my left shoe catches the edge of my right shoe and jams the brakes down. that sucks.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

Once in awhile I'll hit the brake with my left foot while going for the clutch, I usually realize soon enough so I've never really smushed on the brakes as if I was going all out with the clutch pedal.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Not so much what you asked, but there was a time when I went home to visit for christmas and had to borrow my mom's car, an automatic. Went for the clutch instinctively and caught the double-wide brake pedal that they love to put in autoboxes. I almost killed everyone in the car by seatbelt decaptiation.
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

RITmusic2k wrote:Not so much what you asked, but there was a time when I went home to visit for christmas and had to borrow my mom's car, an automatic. Went for the clutch instinctively and caught the double-wide brake pedal that they love to put in autoboxes. I almost killed everyone in the car by seatbelt decaptiation.
My ex not only did the same, but went from D to R instinctively trying to downshift from 4th to 3rd. So it was a wild decapitation attempt followed by hearing something go CLUNK and the motor cutting out. lol. It was in Korea in her dad's brand new Hyundai Sonata. I've met a few people who've only driven manual transmissions all their lives and autos are downright scary for them.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

Only time i would brake and add throttle is for two reasons. Both of which are in slushies.

1) To launch.
Hold the brake, rev, and side step the brake.

2) Brake stand. (manuals as well)
Hold brake almost all the way, and with a rwd, the rear will burn out and you will stand still.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Accidentally, never.
Intentionally, yes. Two situations:
1. Heel-toe.
2. Left-footing the brake so I can keep a foot on the throttle in the one vehicle that has had problems that made that necessary. Boy, you've never driven until you've driven while eyeing the tach at stops to keep it as close to idle as possible and not mess up the slushbox, and left-foot braking everywhere you go. Surprisingly, once I got used to using my left foot, it was cake. Normal driving, I could do it with pretty much any car, just not for heel-toe. Panic driving, no. That would result in either locked wheels or ABS kicking in depending on the car. Not that good with the left foot just yet.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

paul34 wrote:"you actually have to step on the brake pedal FIRST, then you can move this gearshift! ha ha!"
That is pretty good lol. 99% of the time I am in a manual, so i totally forget how to use autos when i hop in them.

After realizing I have to push the brake first, then I always get startled when the car pushes against the brake after I put it in "D". Auto creep scares me now.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

comingbackdown wrote:Boy, you've never driven until you've driven while eyeing the tach at stops to keep it as close to idle as possible and not mess up the slushbox
BTDT. The automatic transmission is not that sensitive, you can keep it above idle in D or N as you please. You can definitely keep it where it would be at cold idle, but you could even go a little higher if you need to do so to keep your eye on the traffic light.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD