Do yall ever accidentally hit both the gas and brake?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Re: Do yall ever accidentally hit both the gas and brake?

Post by comingbackdown »

theholycow wrote:
comingbackdown wrote:Boy, you've never driven until you've driven while eyeing the tach at stops to keep it as close to idle as possible and not mess up the slushbox
BTDT. The automatic transmission is not that sensitive, you can keep it above idle in D or N as you please. You can definitely keep it where it would be at cold idle, but you could even go a little higher if you need to do so to keep your eye on the traffic light.
So you think. My father's truck transmission is the snippiest, pickiest son-of-a-bitchin' car component I've ever seen. Reverse now whines like a bitch whenever you use it. Methinks it's time for some maintenance.

Furthermore, I really don't like it when I shift into a gear when holding the pedal near idle but not totally at idle and the whole truck shakes.

It's very... sensitive. Bitchiest transmission I've ever dealt with. That truck is a picky little bastard, I must say.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I played tons of GT4 with the Logitech Driving Force wheel (900º turning radius, sequential shifter, pretty BA back then) and when I took driver's ed, I kept wanting to shift in the auto Cobalt we had to drive around in. The first couple times I actually took my right hand slightly off the wheel and looked around for a second, then realized what was going on. :lol: :lol: :lol:
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

As I remember, I've only had a problem with this once. Back when I first learned to drive stick 4 years ago, I had decided that one of the best ways to learn would be to drive nothing but stick for a month or two. One day in the middle of that, my Grandma got me to go run errands for her, and she gave me the keys to her '96 Honda Accord (slush of course). I didn't have any experience with switching from manual-auto, so when I got in the car, everything felt really weird. I managed to drive it pretty well though, up until the point where I started to hoon :twisted:. I started having fun with the car, taking it up to redline, shifting it like a manual, and I made the mistake of forgetting it was auto, slamming my left foot into the brake pedal as I switched from 2nd to 3rd. :oops: :lol:. Now, the car I had been learning on was my '86 4-speed Fiero, with the 9000 lb clutch, and it always took a lot of force to get the pedal to the floor. The Honda, like all Hondas, had VERY touchy brake and accelerator pedals. I swear that's one of the only times I've triggered ABS in a car, and it felt like I had slammed into someone, I was thrown forward so hard :lol:.

Otherwise, I've never hit the gas and brake at the same time accidentally. Intentionally, yes, in heel-toe :).
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

Naww The worst is when you go hop in an auto and sit there for like 30 seconds pounding your left foot multiple times on the dead pedal, only to realize that there is no third pedal, and do not need one to start the car.

Then, the passenger if you have one, is like: "what are you doing? Just start the car" And you do so hopefully without being embarrased lol.

Its about the same feeling when you stall and look around before flying on off.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Could this original post be about lift-throttle flare? In order to smooth in-gear throttle tip-out, many vehicles use the idle speed control function to functionally not let the throttle plate close so quickly (actually they bleed air past the throttle plate). Unfortunately, if the engine control confuser can't figure out the difference between coasting in gear and initiating a shift, the sudden loss of load on the engine when the clutch is disengaged results in the engine speed increasing by several hundred rpm. Using the clutch pedal downstop switch to let the confuser know the drive is shifting is not satisfactory, since there is a time delay in getting the pedal to that position compared to when the clutch began to disengage. A better solution is a clutch pedal upstop switch, since actuating the upstop switch actually occurs before the clutch is disengaged.

One could relocate the down-stop switch, or add a second switch in parallel, so that the confuser gets notified as soon as the pedal has left the upstop position.

One could also just bypass the switch entirely and see if the driveability is something they could live with. If you don't do much stop-and-go traffic driving, it might not even be noticeable.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It's seriously called a "confuser"? It does live up to its name, if you're describing what laymen call "rev hang". (Edit: I just realized you're talking about the computer. Confuser is more accurate anyway.)

So there's a switch that toggles at the top of the clutch pedal travel, and its only purpose is to engage rev hang? So I could disable that switch and rev hang goes away?

If that's true....oh my god if that's true you are my hero.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Not so simple. If you are lucky, there is an upstop switch and if it is functioning properly the revs shouldn't hang or rise during shifts. Upstop switch can also be used to signal to cut off the cruise control so the engine rpm doesn't flare when the clutch is disengaged. If you don't have this switch, you almost certainly have a downstop switch. The downstop switch is often used as a starter saftey interlock (i.e. cannot start the engine unless the clutch pedal is fully depressed) and to cut off the cruise control so it doesn't flare the throttle when you disengage the clutch. If you don't have cruise control, you can try jumpering across the terminals of this switch to see if it solves the rpm flare issue. Just remember, you have to promise not to do anything stupid like try to start the vehicle while it is in gear with the clutch pedal not depressed. If you have cruise control, you might want to relocate the downstop switch so it acts as an upstop switch or add a second switch, wired in parallel with the down stop switch, to serve as an upstop switch.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I'll have to investigate it. I am definitely absolutely sure not to make the safety mistakes involved in modified clutch switches. I have and enjoy cruise, but I'd give it up temporarily in the name of experimentation.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

That's the attitude!

I happen to know that some cars confusers can sense runaway rpms and cut the cruise control with no switch input. Try driving on level ground with the cruise control on and jiggle the stick so the trans pops out of gear and see if yours is smart enough to pause the cruise control. If it isn't, be ready at the switch or the brake pedal to cut it off manually.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I'm pretty sure that I've already done that experiment and it didn't cancel the cruise, though I may not have given it enough of a chance.

OTOH, when not using cruise, rev hang doesn't seem to happen if I pull it out of gear without using the clutch...so I'm thinking that the experiment will probably work.

94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

If I'm in neutral and set my cruise control, it starts banging off the rev limiter... don't ask me how I know :lol:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

:lol:
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

94Corolla5Speed - Does it do the same thing if you set the cruise when it's in gear and then slip it out of gear w/o using the clutch?

Nice that we have rev limiters these days. I remember when there was nothing to cover up ones sins and if you sinned real bad the crankcase got ventilated, but we liked it that way. It was good enough for us. Teach ya a lesson for bein' stupid. There are still a few stupid things you can do in a car without some software covering for you, but you almost have to work hard to break something these days. ...almost! I think that investigating the effects of the clutch interlock switch on revs hanging during shifts is not a risky thing to do as long as you remember that the starter motor may function in gear with the clutch engaged. Then again, that's how cars were for almost a century and most folks learned to not be stupid about it.
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

94Corolla5Speed - Does it do the same thing if you set the cruise when it's in gear and then slip it out of gear w/o using the clutch?

Yeah, I gotta try that one... Can you say "rev limiter" ????
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

'Rev Limiter"