The Buick Riviera vs Pontiac Sunbird

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

The Buick Riviera vs Pontiac Sunbird

Post by ihartmacz »

Quick specs

1993 Pontiac Sunbird 31.L V6 130hp/180ftlbs - 5MT
1991 Buick Riviera 3.8L V6 180hp/220ftlbs - 4AT

1st race: We meet at a red light. I start brake torque-ing, she revs and when the light turns green she slips the clutch out and floors it (OMG SO NOT GOOD) and I start peeling out like a bitch. I cought up to her at the top of 1st gear and I could her her shift into second and mine shifts to second only a half a second later. we called it a tie at the speed limit.

2 race: We stopped at a green, only she took off before I got up to her. I floored my gas at 10mph and I was off like a rocket, I was at 2000rpm in 1st and all my torque flew and squawked my front tires. And all of the sudden I hear her shift again, OMG. My car shifted to second and I just started whopping her ass. She got behind me and turned off knowing she just got f**k!

I'm sorry to report this, and I'm not happy to say it. But If I were driving her car, I would have won. She takes so long to shift and she CANNOT LAUNCH! She lets the clutch out slow and depends on her torque to her off the line.

But my auto won. Damn, this is one hell of an automatic! It downshifts so fast under load and the throttle responce is to die for!

THE TORQUE from my 3800 is so addicting, even at 30 mph it will down shift to 1st gear and throw you back. The feeling is so good. I wish it were a 5 speed though. :(

Edit: this is the car I wanted to race my zx2 against. oh man, my zx2 would have kicked her ass again and again!
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I can downshift into 1st at 30mph and floor it, and it will throw me into the back seat. Thats like peak hp, and a 3-1 downshift and then WOT, is defintely a unique experience in my car.

thats pretty funny though, you beat her/him lol
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs