MkII Supra vs. Auto Mustang GT

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
kvanderlaag
Senior Standardshifter

MkII Supra vs. Auto Mustang GT

Post by kvanderlaag »

It was a dark and stormy night. (Okay so it wasn't stormy.)

Driving along a rather twisty little road in the south end of town. I roll up beside a red Mustang GT (95-04, probably early 2000s) while we're both doing about 50km/h (speed limit.)

He decides he needs to show off to his buddy in the passenger seat, and takes off. From the way he's driving, it's obvious he's an auto driver. I play catch up, and we both hit a red light.

Okay, this thing is on.

Light turns green. We both launch hard, obviously mine isn't as smooth. Shift first to second too high, take too long, come around the corner. By the time I'm in third, he's long gone.

I got my arse kicked by an auto Mustang. Someone please shred my driver's license.

I shift too slowly, all around, both in the timing and in the time it takes me to do it. I need to fix this.
-Keegan
82 Celica Supra (black, 7M-GE swap)
84 Celica GT-S (black, indestructible)
kvanderlaag
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kvanderlaag »

Misery. :(

I just hate Mustangs so much. I can't help myself! It's like crack cocaine! =(
-Keegan
sparkplug188
Senior Standardshifter

Post by sparkplug188 »

Last edited by sparkplug188 on Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

man that sucks. i mess up sometimes too. at least you won't have to see that guy again. just act like it never happened (lol)

i hate mustangs as well. mainly because people who drive them think they're the kings of the road. my greatest accomplishment was annihilating a mustang 5.0 with my brothers prelude. ohh what a feeling to beat a v8 beast with a 4cyl honda.

i still love how aggressive the 5.0s look/sound though :?

but bring em on
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I like mustangs, but the people who own them, think they are much faster and sportier cars than they really are.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Re: MkII Supra vs. Auto Mustang GT

Post by Prodigal Son »

kvanderlaag wrote:Someone please shred my driver's license.
Go down to your local police station. They will be happy to do it for you.

If you race on the street that means one thing and one thing only: you don't care whether you kill people or not, as long as you have fun.

Give me your license. I'll shred it for you.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

:?
kvanderlaag
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kvanderlaag »

Prodigal Son wrote:
kvanderlaag wrote:Someone please shred my driver's license.
Go down to your local police station. They will be happy to do it for you.

If you race on the street that means one thing and one thing only: you don't care whether you kill people or not, as long as you have fun.

Give me your license. I'll shred it for you.
Fair enough.

Honestly, if I thought it would end badly, or if there was a significant chance of it ending badly, I wouldn't have done it. There was nobody around but him.

I don't make a point of this, and I'm aware it's illegal, for good reason. We had a rather awful story a while back where a bunch of kids died street racing.

I'm not completely retarded, but apparently I do have my moments.

I do intend to take some track courses, and race there frequently. There's a time and place for everything -- it's a judgment call, and judgment is subjective. Obviously, there are rules in place to make things generally more black and white.

One of my favorite parts of driving stick is that it makes you think pre-emptively, and drive proactively rather than reactively.

It's possible to do stupid things and not be stupid about them.

Just my two cents, though. I felt the need to attempt to defend my integrity here.
-Keegan
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Post by Prodigal Son »

kvanderlaag wrote:Honestly, if I thought it would end badly, or if there was a significant chance of it ending badly, I wouldn't have done it. There was nobody around but him.
I appreciate your candor. But I have zero tolerance for street racing. The inescapable fact is that you could not be truly certain of the above. You never can on the public street.

Even if you obey all the rules, of course, and even if you practice scrupulous defensive driving, you can still hurt someone if they do something stupid, or if the authorities have done something stupid that neither you or the other party could be aware of. But the rules of the road are a type of social contract. Other people are obliged to act on the roads in a way that keeps themselves safe if other people use the road in accordance with the rules. People then have a way to keep themselves safe by anticipating normal traffic. If they fail to do so, and are hurt as a result, they are to blame because they violated the contract.

But if you violate the rules of the road, you not only violate the law, you violate the contract on which every other road user depends for their safety. Other people can no longer make good judgements about how they need to behave in order to keep themselves safe. That is why it is fair to say that when you road race, you are putting your fun above other people's lives. You are robbing them of the ability to make safe choices about road use because you are not behaving according to the social contract that governs everyone's use of the road.

Out ability to assess a situation is never perfect. Even when we cannot see dangers, they may sill exist or emerge at any moment. If we stay within in the rules of the road, we fulfill our part of the social contract that governs all road users, and we are then innocent of any harm that may result. Once we break that code, we are fully responsible for any harm that occurs, no matter how improbable or unforseeable the circumstance were in which the harm occurred.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

How much power are you running in your car? Mustang GTs will have at least 225, up to 260/290, for those years. And a live axle suspension that's better suited for drag racing. They're not that tough, but I'd hope you have at least 200-240hp before you try to tackle them. Otherwise, you're gonna need them to screw up the launch or a shift, and an auto tranny usually doesn't.
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

paul34 wrote:you raced on the street? With a Mustang owner? :?

my friend, what has thy life come to?
ya, if you're gonna get busted for streetracing, make sure its a worth while car you are racing againts... like a 300zxTT :roll:
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

85 supra pushes about 165?hp at the flywheel. vs. a early 2000's mustang gt... basically you have no chance, even if you shift well.
kvanderlaag
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kvanderlaag »

Haha, nice one Paolo -- the 300zx TT would be very worthwhile (obviously not, but you get the idea) comparatively.

ra64t -- It's not quite stock, so it pushes high 180s last I checked. Those years, Mustangs kill me. It's not really a question of my driving ability so much as theirs -- if they suck, I stand a chance. If they're good, or drive auto, not so much.

Prodigal Son: I want you to understand that I see your point. I've got an awful lot of respect for you and what you have to say, based on what I've read and the things you've contributed. All I can say is that I'm generally a very safe, defensive driver, looking out for things. We all have our moments, I guess, and make some poor decisions. I'll take everything you've said into consideration the next time I'm thinking about it. Thanks.
-Keegan
Dusty
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Dusty »

im going to pick on Imports here for a sec so im bracing to get burned....i will challange and BEAT any newer mustang, and for that matter ANY honda, hunda toyota ect. made with MY mustang...

hears why,
1969 429 BOSS Hemi, 4 speed 4.10 gears, Cragger SS Magnum
Engine upgrades: 2 600 CFM Holleys (2 four barrels), 250 Hp Nitro, 6-71 Under hood blower, underdriven- 400 Hp upgrade, stock 429 Hp=400 Horse, current Hp=1050 @ 6000 RPM w/ nitro shot in effect 800 w/o Nitro

ive smoked MANY cars with this set up, gains a 8.6 in the 1/4 mile. with out nirto, never tryed it with out
i use this in OPEN/super stock racing, where anything goes. ive had up to around 230 on the open high way (very stupid...dont try this at home) ive raced for about 6 years so know how to drive.

that being said....i dont street race much, ill pass you if you start it, but i dont start things.
Found Off Road Daily
1992 Ford Bronco 5.0 4x4
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

Dusty wrote:im going to pick on Imports here for a sec so im bracing to get burned....i will challange and BEAT any newer mustang, and for that matter ANY honda, hunda toyota ect. made with MY mustang...

hears why,
1969 429 BOSS Hemi, 4 speed 4.10 gears, Cragger SS Magnum
Engine upgrades: 2 600 CFM Holleys (2 four barrels), 250 Hp Nitro, 6-71 Under hood blower, underdriven- 400 Hp upgrade, stock 429 Hp=400 Horse, current Hp=1050 @ 6000 RPM w/ nitro shot in effect 800 w/o Nitro

ive smoked MANY cars with this set up, gains a 8.6 in the 1/4 mile. with out nirto, never tryed it with out
i use this in OPEN/super stock racing, where anything goes. ive had up to around 230 on the open high way (very stupid...dont try this at home) ive raced for about 6 years so know how to drive.

that being said....i dont street race much, ill pass you if you start it, but i dont start things.
sounds like a sweet ride. thats tough to beat, although a similarly modified mkiv supra might be able to give you a run.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=29073