Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Why Mess With it if it Ain't Broken?

Among other new things, NASCAR changed this year to 5-Speed, sequential-shift transaxles.

Pump the shift lever forward from Neutral and you get Reverse.

Pump it back from Neutral and you get 1st.

Pump it back again and again and again and you upshift through the gears.

....but if you come zoomin' out of the pits, pull the lever back to shift into 2nd ,....but forget you're driving the Gen 7 car and push the stick forward when trying to grab 3rd,......

You kinda downshift and spin out and nothin' wants to shift anymore and.......
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

MOKE! MOKE! MOKE ID COMING FROM MY MAUT!

BMW FACES BIG RECALL OVER FIRES… - Autoline Daily
And in other BMW news, it’s recalling over a million vehicles worldwide due to fire risks. And these are ICE fires, not BEV ones. The heater for the positive crankcase ventilation or PCV valve may fail and could cause a fire. The recall involves models made between 2006 and 2013 and most of them are in the U.S. It’s the third recall over this issue since 2017. Many vehicles fixed in previous recalls have to be fixed again and the new repair won’t be available until the middle of the year. BMW says it’s ok for owners to continue driving but if they notice any smoke coming from the engine compartment or smell something burning they should turn off the engine and stop driving.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos- ... 022-03-09/
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:42 pm MOKE! MOKE! MOKE ID COMING FROM MY MAUT!

And in other BMW news, it’s recalling over a million vehicles worldwide due to fire risks. And these are ICE fires, not BEV ones. The heater for the positive crankcase ventilation or PCV valve may fail and could cause a fire. The recall involves models made between 2006 and 2013 and most of them are in the U.S. It’s the third recall over this issue since 2017. Many vehicles fixed in previous recalls have to be fixed again and the new repair won’t be available until the middle of the year. BMW says it’s ok for owners to continue driving but if they notice any smoke coming from the engine compartment or smell something burning they should turn off the engine and stop driving.

Seriously? A heater for the PCV valve? Don't tell me. EPA figures until the valve warms up it causes extra pollution, so to micromanage, we get PCV valve heaters. Oh for the days of road draft tubes! :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:27 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:42 pm MOKE! MOKE! MOKE ID COMING FROM MY MAUT!

Seriously? A heater for the PCV valve? Don't tell me. EPA figures until the valve warms up it causes extra pollution, so to micromanage, we get PCV valve heaters. Oh for the days of road draft tubes! :lol:
I'll keep the PCV valve - it does a better job of pulling fuel fumes out of the oil - but it's when they try to see how cheap they can get with the design that you run into problems. Some of the PCVs were incorporated into valve covers, and the failure mode required replacing the valve cover instead of a couple-buck valve. ....and we're supposed to be grateful that the valve cover is just a bolt-on item and making this repair wasn't as expensive as tearing deep into the engine. I'm thinking that BMW was having condensate freezing in the valve when the vehicles were operated for only short distance drives. They prolly added the heaters to keep the valves from freezing up.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:13 am
ClutchFork wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:27 pm

I'll keep the PCV valve - it does a better job of pulling fuel fumes out of the oil - but it's when they try to see how cheap they can get with the design that you run into problems. Some of the PCVs were incorporated into valve covers, and the failure mode required replacing the valve cover instead of a couple-buck valve. ....and we're supposed to be grateful that the valve cover is just a bolt-on item and making this repair wasn't as expensive as tearing deep into the engine. I'm thinking that BMW was having condensate freezing in the valve when the vehicles were operated for only short distance drives. They prolly added the heaters to keep the valves from freezing up.
I had them in the valve covers until the 2001 Ranger. That one, I could see tucked way up under the intake manifold, could even touch it if I snaked my arm in just so, but could not loose it. Heard you had to pull the manifold to get to it for replacement.

Yeah, the road draft tube was probably a bit better at freeway speed, which might explain why cars back then that were only driven on short trips to the grocery or church tended to get badly sludged.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Ukraine suppliers, amazingly, still making some wire harnesses amid war - Automotive News

"Audi CEO Markus Duesmann Duesmann said the group had lost a substantial amount of wire
harness production in Ukraine that was needed to keep assembly plants running — but amazingly,
not all of it.
"Many of our suppliers, especially for wiring harnesses, were in Ukraine, or are in Ukraine. They
are desperately — even with the people staying there, which is incredible — trying to produce, and
doing so always close to a bomb shelter," Duesmann said stoically. "They try to produce, which is
an enormous achievement [for] a really proud and brave people there.""

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-sup ... 4-readmore

My latest work-around for when Automotive News says "We're cuttin' you off - No More Drinks for You!" is to hit the "Print" link and then I can read the article in the print preview screen.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Innovative used tire disposal strategy:
https://youtu.be/dHh93cv4HNE
Stick shiftin since '77
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

ClutchFork wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:13 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:08 am One Quarter of Fatal Vehicle Accidents Caused by Distracted Driving

...about the same % as for impaired driving, 2018 figures, per the Traffic Injury Research Foundation

https://canada.autonews.com/technology/ ... 3-readmore
Saw a flatbed tow truck driving down the road (25 mph street) today driver monkeying with his cell phone.
THIS IS WHY WHEN THEY ASK ME WHERE THE BLEEPING TOW TRUCK IS I DONT CALL BUT SAY HES DRIVING

AAA has campaigns out for not distracted driving YET THEN EXPECTS ITS TOW TRUCK DRIVERS TO BE DISTRACTED DRIVERS
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

I drove my moms 2016 equinox the other day and had to turn off lane assist and the stupid crash “assist” in the front can f**k off too

I have a buffer zone on the highway

It is not *my* fault someone decided to merge into it

Stop lighting up.

Stupid car is too distracting. I’m already distracted, I’m adhd.

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:22 pm I drove my moms 2016 equinox the other day and had to turn off lane assist and the stupid crash “assist” in the front can f**k off too

Stop lighting up.

Yanno what the problem is? It's that driving isn't teribly difficult. If we were all driving at 99.98% of our capabilities, we wouldn't have enough capacity left to go off and get distracted by something like a phone, or a three-screens deep heated seat control.

Those NASCAR guys got their hands full tryin' to pass the other guy and not wreck. You don't see them taking selfies, texting, or placing their order for Sonic. It's when we underestimate how serious it is that we pay attention to the road, the other drivers, etc. that we begin to think "This ain't so difficult. I bet I could go looking on Amazon for that jacket I saw I wanted."

BTW, nice of you to drop in!
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:16 pm
wannabe wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:22 pm I drove my moms 2016 equinox the other day and had to turn off lane assist and the stupid crash “assist” in the front can f**k off too

Stop lighting up.

Yanno what the problem is? It's that driving isn't teribly difficult. If we were all driving at 99.98% of our capabilities, we wouldn't have enough capacity left to go off and get distracted by something like a phone, or a three-screens deep heated seat control.

Those NASCAR guys got their hands full tryin' to pass the other guy and not wreck. You don't see them taking selfies, texting, or placing their order for Sonic. It's when we underestimate how serious it is that we pay attention to the road, the other drivers, etc. that we begin to think "This ain't so difficult. I bet I could go looking on Amazon for that jacket I saw I wanted."

BTW, nice of you to drop in!
Every time I’m like “oh I should check standardshift” I’m either falling asleep or logging into work

Never when I actually have time

Crafting and stuff
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

Currently on vacation in Florida, saw a Ferrari this afternoon

Unfortunately I never see them so I don’t know what kind. Just “dark blue”

Crafting and stuff
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

wannabe wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:34 pm Currently on vacation in Florida, saw a Ferrari this afternoon

Unfortunately I never see them so I don’t know what kind. Just “dark blue”
miami or tampa?
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Stop lighting up.

the lane keep assist and crash avoidance seem to work well on the subaru; the lane keep assist is just a beep, no tugging of the wheel let alone steering for you - that came on later models. the crash mitigation runs off of two cameras in the windshield (part of the eyesight system), which may explain why it works better than other systems, not sure why radar would be worse though. if the windshield is fogged or blocked and the cameras can't see, the system shuts off. you can also shut off all the nannies manually. i usually just keep them all on. the only nuisances i've come across so far are that when the eyesight system shuts off, you have to manually switch to old school cruise control if you want to use it. old school as in it won't slow down for you when there's a car in front of you. also, if there's an emissions problem and the check engine light comes on, the entire eyesight system along with regular cruise control (any speed control) gets shut down and you can't manually turn it back on. i'm hoping replacing the gas cap will have solved the emissions problem (where if i fill the gas tank, the check engine light comes on for an emissions problem), but have been calculating gas usage to avoid totally filling the tank, lest i lose my adaptive cruise control nanny. :o :shock: :( :evil: :mrgreen:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

HONDA BUILDS WIND TUNNEL IN OHIO - Autoline Daily
Even though aerodynamic simulation is quite sophisticated, the computers can’t predict everything. There’s still a need to test cars in a wind tunnel. So Honda spent $124 million building one in Ohio. They call it HALO, which stands for Honda Automotive Laboratories of Ohio. Honda is using it to refine the aerodynamics of its production cars, as well as to reduce wind noise. And it’s also testing race cars there, because the tunnel can simulate speeds up to 190 miles an hour. One of the most impressive features is a modular moving ground plane. For production cars, Honda may only need to use a narrow moving belt. But for race cars it wants a wide moving ground plane to simulate turbulence from the wheels. And note how the cars sit on an giant indexing pad so they can be turned sideways to test for the effects of yaw angles on aerodynamics. To trace sources of wind noise, Honda technicians can install an array of microphones and cameras inside the wind tunnel. And Honda says this is critical for reducing wind noise in electric cars.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-corpo ... el-in-ohio