Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

It's the Ent of the Whirled!

ImageImageImage

After several weeks of falling gasoline prices, I paid $0.02 per gallon more this morning.

That's my 2 cents.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:58 am It's the Ent of the Whirled!

ImageImageImage

After several weeks of falling gasoline prices, I paid $0.02 per gallon more this morning.

That's my 2 cents.
it grew dizzy?? :shock:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

How The Koenigsegg CC850’s 9-Speed Automatic Also Works As A 6-Speed Manual
It simulates the sensations of Amish driving. What's next,...no actual milk in McDonald's Milkshakes? No ham in Hamburgers? No dogs in Hotdogs? Locally-Fried French Fries? Cheddar Cheese from Wisconsin? German Potato Salad made from Idaho Potatoes? Belgian Waffles from IHOP? Furniture Polish that never saw the Baltic Sea?

https://www.hotcars.com/koenigsegg-cc85 ... explained/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

1898 UK TRAIN TUNNEL NOW AERO TESTING MARVEL - Autoline Daily
Here’s an intriguing story. Buried out in the English countryside is a tunnel. They call it the Catesby Tunnel, and it’s owned by ARP, or Aero Research Partners. It’s a wind tunnel, but this tunnel is 1.7 miles long. And it turns aerodynamic testing on its head.

“This, compared to a conventional wind tunnel, is better because it’s real. In a moving ground plane wind tunnel you have a stationary car and then you have a ground plane moving under it and wind moving over it. What we’re always trying to do is replicate a moving car through a road with the wind around it, and all wind tunnels turn that around.”

At the end of the run is a turntable, so they can turn the car around and run it back in the other direction. Multimatic took advantage of the tunnel to test its Mazda DPI car at speeds up to 120 miles an hour. And it says it’s better than testing aerodynamics at a track.

“The problem with moving through the real world is wind, potentially rain at times, gusting wind–all of the things that change while you’re in the real world. So this is the real world without any of the weather, without any of the wind, where everything’s at a constant temperature. It’s a perfect two miles of totally controlled atmosphere.”

There’s a fascinating backstory on the tunnel. It was actually built in 1898 as a Victorian railway tunnel. There’s still soot on the ceiling from the coal burning trains. The tunnel was closed to trains in 1966 and has now been transformed into a state-of-the-art aerodynamic testing facility.

https://www.totalsimulation.co.uk/compu ... by-tunnel/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

In Former Sobeit Union,.....Manufacturing is not building cars.

TOYOTA ENDS PRODUCTION IN RUSSIA AutoLine Daily
And back to Russia for a moment, Toyota announced it is ending production in the country because it can’t get the parts and materials it needs to keep the lines running. The automaker suspended production back in March after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and hoped to resume building cars but now it says that there is “no indication that we can restart in the future.” Toyota built the Camry and RAV4 in Russia and according to Russian media, the plant, which has a capacity of 100,000 units a year, might be sold in the future.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/corpo ... 43074.html
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

VW may sell Russian factory amid Ukraine war sanctions

VW is looking for an investor to take over its Russian Kaluga factory.

The potential sale was first reported by the German delicatessen Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.

The factory, in which VW has invested more than 1 billion euros, employs 4,200 people.

The likely collapse in local demand, practical considerations and more reasons are all playing a role in the decision, the paper reported.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/ ... production
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

OMG - My jeep needed a repair!

I heard a clunking noise while driving to and from work this last week. I was thinking that maybe the tailpipe hanger failed. On Saturday morning, I looked underneath and saw that the left-rear lower control arm had become the left rear lower control arms.

I picked up a replacement from Oh-Really? and my son helped me get the old arms off without dropping the driveshaft and fuel tank. Removal of the front mounting bolt is restricted by the fuel tank and the fuel tank removal is restricted by the driveshaft, vent lines, fuel lines, fuel-filler line and some electrical lines. Instead, I removed the nut, slid the bolt as far inboard as it could go, and my son used a cut-off wheel, a sawxall, a cold chisel and a 4 Lb mallet to behead the bolt so it could be slid outboard and removed.

The right-side LCA looks OK, but I believe that failure modes don't know right from left, so I'm ordering a replacement for it. It costs half as much for a replacement part when you don't need it yesterday.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Cud it be thyme fore a new car? Are dare any omish rides left fore ewe??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:14 pm Cud it be thyme fore a new car? Are dare any omish rides left fore ewe??
Eye vass stinkin der otter dei - wut F sumpin happen anne S lawst-n-goan frever, dreadful sore eye.....

Mebbe a Cheap Gladheateher?

Butt four nau, It's 14 yearse olt ant just shie F 130,000 smiles. liphe S Goot.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Kia the latest automaker to mull exiting Russia
The automaker would join VW, Toyota, Renault, Nissan, Hyundai and Mazda that have or are considering winding down their exposure in Russia after its invasion of Ukraine.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/ ... 2-readmore
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:37 am OMG - My jeep needed a repair!

I heard a clunking noise while driving to and from work this last week. I was thinking that maybe the tailpipe hanger failed. On Saturday morning, I looked underneath and saw that the left-rear lower control arm had become the left rear lower control arms.

I picked up a replacement from Oh-Really? and my son helped me get the old arms off without dropping the driveshaft and fuel tank. Removal of the front mounting bolt is restricted by the fuel tank and the fuel tank removal is restricted by the driveshaft, vent lines, fuel lines, fuel-filler line and some electrical lines. Instead, I removed the nut, slid the bolt as far inboard as it could go, and my son used a cut-off wheel, a sawxall, a cold chisel and a 4 Lb mallet to behead the bolt so it could be slid outboard and removed.

The right-side LCA looks OK, but I believe that failure modes don't know right from left, so I'm ordering a replacement for it. It costs half as much for a replacement part when you don't need it yesterday.
I miss the old L27 on the first gen Liberty. We used to have races to see who could replace the LCAs faster. I usually won
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:27 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:37 am OMG - My jeep needed a repair!

I miss the old L27 on the first gen Liberty. We used to have races to see who could replace the LCAs faster. I usually won
Why am I hearing in my head a former Wehrmacht officer reminiscing about his time in Paris during WWII?

Yeah, so my 2008 should have the new and improved design. Maybe 14 years is a big improvement over how long the Gen I Liberty lower control arms would last, but I was still surprised. Good thing that the track arm and the remaining control arms were able to hold it reasonably in place. It reminded me of reading about a drag racer who fabbed his own tube frame. He configured it so it would hold air pressure as long as it hadn't cracked anywhere. All he had to do is check to see if it was still holding pressure to be sure it was still safe to make a run.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

END OF ICE AGE SALES FRENZY - Autoline Daily
EVs are the fastest growing segment in the auto industry, and analysts expect them to really rocket forward from about the middle of 2024 until the end of 2027, as more and more EVs hit the market. But that could also trigger a surge in sales of ICE vehicles, or at least of certain models. Analyst Jeff Schuster from LMC Automotive says it’s entirely possible that as anti-EV consumers realize that their favorite internal combustion car or truck will be going out of production, they’ll race out to buy the last ones as fast as they can. And so piston powered cars and trucks could see a sales surge towards the end of the decade.

https://www.wardsauto.com/industry-news ... -side-side
Theoretically, having more battery-electric vehicles available could temporarily boost demand for both BEVs and ICE vehicles, says Jeff Schuster, president-Americas Operations and Global Vehicle Forecasts for LMC Automotive.

“There’s the possibility we get a BEV boost, and I think that could come from two factors,” Schuster (pictured, below left) says in a webinar hosted by LMC Automotive and parent company GlobalData.
“One is consumers turning in their vehicle sooner than they would have otherwise, to move into an electrified vehicle,” he says. “The other side of that could be a consumer that sees their internal-combustion vehicle choice is no longer going to be in production. So, they want to rush out and get that vehicle, that newer version , before the vehicle goes away.”
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:41 pm END OF ICE AGE SALES FRENZY - Autoline Daily
EVs are the fastest growing segment in the auto industry, and analysts expect them to really rocket forward from about the middle of 2024 until the end of 2027, as more and more EVs hit the market. But that could also trigger a surge in sales of ICE vehicles, or at least of certain models. Analyst Jeff Schuster from LMC Automotive says it’s entirely possible that as anti-EV consumers realize that their favorite internal combustion car or truck will be going out of production, they’ll race out to buy the last ones as fast as they can. And so piston powered cars and trucks could see a sales surge towards the end of the decade.

https://www.wardsauto.com/industry-news ... -side-side
Theoretically, having more battery-electric vehicles available could temporarily boost demand for both BEVs and ICE vehicles, says Jeff Schuster, president-Americas Operations and Global Vehicle Forecasts for LMC Automotive.

“There’s the possibility we get a BEV boost, and I think that could come from two factors,” Schuster (pictured, below left) says in a webinar hosted by LMC Automotive and parent company GlobalData.
“One is consumers turning in their vehicle sooner than they would have otherwise, to move into an electrified vehicle,” he says. “The other side of that could be a consumer that sees their internal-combustion vehicle choice is no longer going to be in production. So, they want to rush out and get that vehicle, that newer version , before the vehicle goes away.”
az ive (and yuve) said bee four, they should work on the charging infrastructure before pushing this all on us.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Is a 7 Prong Grill the same as a 7 Slot grill?

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... e-invasion