Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob »

ColJessip wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:51 pm
potownrob wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:02 am
ColJessip wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:22 am What a nice reunion. I have no idea what made me come check standardshift. Amazing that the board is still going!

I also haven't been driving a stick :(. My fiesta ST was totaled. I picked up a C8 in November which only is available with a DCT.
Holy crow bro, how have you been?! Idk why I come in here either, maybe just force of habit, or some weird gravity-like force. Didn’t you have a Passat and or a GTO at one point in time a few year back? Could be mixing you up with someone else…are you the Porkchop??
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes I'm the Porkchop :D

Been a crazy (but good) few years for sure! Hope everything is going will with you.

No, I never had a passat. I had a GTO, then a Olds Delta 88, then a Fiesta.
all is hunky dory up in here. cold night tonight, in the mid-20s. cold for november at least. i must be mixing you up with someone else with the passat, maybe that vedran guy? the brain is a funny thing. what vintage olds 88 did you have? my dad had an 86 olds 98 regency brougham back in the day. lots of electrical gremlins, including at least one engine fire, but the car was comfy as all get-up and looked cool for its time. he had a steering column collar on it at one point, after the car was broken into and stolen too many times...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

Too cold rob

Dumb odd/even parking does mean my mini van gets started every day (park on the even side on even days, odd side, odd days). 22 feels like 18 this morning and took a bit longer to crank than I would like. I don’t know how old the battery is, dad doesn’t have records.

Supposed to get 3” of snow today so that’ll be nice. Still at aaa, tryina be a supervisor…difficult to get an interview.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:50 am I don’t know how old the battery is, dad doesn’t have records.
No Records? What about 8-Track tapes? ...or Reel-to-Reel?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

wannabe wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:50 am Too cold rob

Dumb odd/even parking does mean my mini van gets started every day (park on the even side on even days, odd side, odd days). 22 feels like 18 this morning and took a bit longer to crank than I would like. I don’t know how old the battery is, dad doesn’t have records.

Supposed to get 3” of snow today so that’ll be nice. Still at aaa, tryina be a supervisor…difficult to get an interview.
yeah, it has in general felt cooler than the actual temperature lately. snowing now but not amounting to much. 28 degrees outside. battery, if it doesn't work after sitting for several days, probably bad. my altima sat too long and now the battery is shot. eye wood dent wont too bee a super visor these daze, butt that's jest me.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:36 pm
wannabe wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:50 am I don’t know how old the battery is, dad doesn’t have records.
No Records? What about 8-Track tapes? ...or Reel-to-Reel?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

my hopes were up when eye saw the new front page to the SS. looks like the actual forums are the same though. :? :arrow: :|
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:33 am my hopes were up when eye saw the new front page to the SS. looks like the actual forums are the same though. :? :arrow: :|
Speaking of Forums, and in memory of Stephen Sondheim,.....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMrjeejmCpI[/youtube]
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

We got snue here in The Motor City. Just enough to make driving interesting. I gotta find where in the garage I hid my scraper.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Is this true?
Buried deep within the massive infrastructure legislation recently signed by President Joe Biden is a little-noticed “safety” measure that will take effect in five years. Marketed to Congress as a benign tool to help prevent drunk driving, the measure will mandate that automobile manufacturers build into every car what amounts to a “vehicle kill switch.”

Also I hear Michigan is fixing to put automated speeding tickets all over the traffic grid so you get a ticket in the mail.
House Bill 5272 would authorize state and local police to installed automated ticketing machines on Michigan roads. Drivers would be monitored, and those accused would be presumed guilty until proven innocent, with no ability to prove that the machine was working improperly. Traffic cameras like these have been shown in other states to increase the rate of accidents, as drivers slam the brakes when they see the cameras. Defend highway safety and the rights of drivers to due process of law. Tell your lawmakers to say NO to traffic cameras!
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

well, isn't that swell :o
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:01 pm Is this true?

Also I hear Michigan is fixing to put automated speeding tickets all over the traffic grid so you get a ticket in the mail.
YES! This is the best law yet. Amish drivers may drive at whatever speed they find comfortable, but Automated drivers will be issued speeding tickets, ...because,....they never really were ever in control of their vehicles!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:33 pm
ClutchFork wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:01 pm Is this true?

YES! This is the best law yet. Amish drivers may drive at whatever speed they find comfortable, but Automated drivers will be issued speeding tickets, ...because,....they never really were ever in control of their vehicles!
Hey I like the way you think. What if we got a bill signed into law that says drivers of true manual transmission vehicles are exempt from all traffic laws. Do you think sales of manuals might shoot up?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Yanno, there have been musings, mostly by vehicle enthusiasts, about different classifications of driver's licenses. Rewarding people with "more capable" vehicles and driving records to match with a grade of operators license that allows them to drive at higher speeds on the interstate highways.

Sometimes, they even talked of including / requiring attendance at a "high performance" driving school.

Along these lines, I wonder if there is a correlation between Amish driving and accident rates. Are Amish drivers a lower-risk category compared to "the great unwashed multitudes"?
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

As satisfying as that would be, until you get to wildly excessive speed, speed differences in excess of about 5 MPH are more dangerous than absolute speed. That's why revenue-focused speed limits that aren't set using the 85th percentile guideline are so frustrating. Trying to stay as close to legal as you can makes things demonstrably less safe for everyone involved when traffic tends to flow at significantly over the posted speed.

It would also create questions of how it would be enforced. Different license plates? Sounds like it would make the vehicles of the qualified drivers prime theft targets.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Yeah, everyone thinks they are above average. Same goes for vehicles - how would you rate relative safety at speed? Would you have to say it can't be an older vehicle because maintenance, fatigue, etc. can make a big difference?

We had some members that commented that the "Beginners" licence was for Slushbox and the "Advanced" license was for Amish drivers. That went along with the idea that beginners have enough to keep their minds octopied without having to drive using 3 feet.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX2jHTg1LMA[/youtube]