Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15859
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon
Location: Salem, MA

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by watkins »

Living in Halloween Town is fun, but there's something to be said about the calm of November 1st
User avatar
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1872
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by ClutchFork »

Halloween was very quiet around my neighborhood.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15859
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon
Location: Salem, MA

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by watkins »

After last year's obvious disappointment, the city was packed constantly. It was nice, minus not being able to get food. We even had a ton of trick or treaters again, which was good to see the community back in action.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11349
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

"We Widened the Tigers" - @ 16:41

"Different Neuters" @ 34:38

Corvette Z06 makes 670 Horsepressures.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDFw1ndLhF8[/youtube]
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7740
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Forester XT
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:28 pm After last year's obvious disappointment, the city was packed constantly. It was nice, minus not being able to get food. We even had a ton of trick or treaters again, which was good to see the community back in action.
eye didn't realize til now (well, before my work computer decided to freeze up) the significance of what you were saying about being in halloween town etc. i thought you were talking about the boston area in general, and i was thinking why is he referring to his town as halloween town like it's special. then i realized you are in halloween town, land of witches and burning corpses (or whatever they did to those witches, too lazy to look up now). i remember driving through salem during some protest, eye forget which one. didn't see too much of the area, but my favorite part was the area near the water. there was this bar on a boat below where we were hanging out but we didn't go down there. didn't see any witches or trials going on. made the apparent mistake of driving through the town of lynn on the way to a beach just north of boston proper. we made it out alive but just barely. outtakes included some guy giving us the finger through his moonroof when i attempted to merge into traffic; must be an eastern mass thing. :?:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11349
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:32 am
watkins wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:28 pm After last year's obvious disappointment, the city was packed constantly. It was nice, minus not being able to get food. We even had a ton of trick or treaters again, which was good to see the community back in action.
eye didn't realize til now (well, before my work computer decided to freeze up) the significance of what you were saying about being in halloween town etc. i thought you were talking about the boston area in general, and i was thinking why is he referring to his town as halloween town like it's special. then i realized you are in halloween town, land of witches and burning corpses (or whatever they did to those witches, too lazy to look up now). i remember driving through salem during some protest, eye forget which one. didn't see too much of the area, but my favorite part was the area near the water. there was this bar on a boat below where we were hanging out but we didn't go down there. didn't see any witches or trials going on. made the apparent mistake of driving through the town of lynn on the way to a beach just north of boston proper. we made it out alive but just barely. outtakes included some guy giving us the finger through his moonroof when i attempted to merge into traffic; must be an eastern mass thing. :?:
They used to break their fingers all the time prior to the invention of the moonroof.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
User avatar
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1872
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:21 am
potownrob wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:32 am
watkins wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:28 pm After last year's obvious disappointment, the city was packed constantly. It was nice, minus not being able to get food. We even had a ton of trick or treaters again, which was good to see the community back in action.
eye didn't realize til now (well, before my work computer decided to freeze up) the significance of what you were saying about being in halloween town etc. i thought you were talking about the boston area in general, and i was thinking why is he referring to his town as halloween town like it's special. then i realized you are in halloween town, land of witches and burning corpses (or whatever they did to those witches, too lazy to look up now). i remember driving through salem during some protest, eye forget which one. didn't see too much of the area, but my favorite part was the area near the water. there was this bar on a boat below where we were hanging out but we didn't go down there. didn't see any witches or trials going on. made the apparent mistake of driving through the town of lynn on the way to a beach just north of boston proper. we made it out alive but just barely. outtakes included some guy giving us the finger through his moonroof when i attempted to merge into traffic; must be an eastern mass thing. :?:
They used to break their fingers all the time prior to the invention of the moonroof.
And the moon roof was originally invented so people could more easily moon others on the highway?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11349
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:43 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:21 am
potownrob wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:32 am eye didn't realize til now (well, before my work computer decided to freeze up) the significance of what you were saying about being in halloween town etc. i thought you were talking about the boston area in general, and i was thinking why is he referring to his town as halloween town like it's special. then i realized you are in halloween town, land of witches and burning corpses (or whatever they did to those witches, too lazy to look up now). i remember driving through salem during some protest, eye forget which one. didn't see too much of the area, but my favorite part was the area near the water. there was this bar on a boat below where we were hanging out but we didn't go down there. didn't see any witches or trials going on. made the apparent mistake of driving through the town of lynn on the way to a beach just north of boston proper. we made it out alive but just barely. outtakes included some guy giving us the finger through his moonroof when i attempted to merge into traffic; must be an eastern mass thing. :?:
They used to break their fingers all the time prior to the invention of the moonroof.
And the moon roof was originally invented so people could more easily moon others on the highway?
I think someone would have to be above you for you to moon them from the moon roof.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
User avatar
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1872
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:58 pm
ClutchFork wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:43 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:21 am
They used to break their fingers all the time prior to the invention of the moonroof.
And the moon roof was originally invented so people could more easily moon others on the highway?
I think someone would have to be above you for you to moon them from the moon roof.
I was thinking more the acrobatic method with the sunroof removed. I once saw a guy on Hines Drive during a summer party afternoon with backed up traffic. He was stopped, popped up through the sunroof and took a guzzle from a beer. Immediately a mounted police officer went over to the car to deal with them. That was the only time I recall seeing mounted police in Hines Drive. That was sometime in the 1970s.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15859
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon
Location: Salem, MA

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by watkins »

potownrob wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:32 amhe
Oh shit. Not all of SS is aware. It's she now. Sadie. Didn't even think about it until reading your comment threw me off.

But yes, we live in actual Salem with actual insanity that starts in mid summer and is impossible to deal with come October. Most of the year we love it, especially with it being a seaside city. The food scene is amazing. The community is super quirky in all the best ways and there is always something going on. The architecture of the older parts of town is beautiful. Obviously there's the history.

Revere, especially Revere Beach? That's another place entirely. For someone to actually flip you off means you definitely messed up some part of your merge.
User avatar
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1872
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by ClutchFork »

So what do people do who have cars that shut off at a stop when it is 110 degrees and they are at a RR crossing for a 100+ car train, or when it is below zero and the same situation? No AC, no Heat?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
IMBoring25
Moderator
Posts: 3390
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:01 pm
Location: OK, USA

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by IMBoring25 »

There's a defeat button if it causes undesired behavior, or it's usually possible to finesse the system into the desired behavior.

Our MDX has different thresholds in the pedals that trigger and release the brake hold (if active) and start/stop systems. Except on a steep downhill, I can stop with a light enough touch to activate neither system. If it's a longer stop and I want to be able to take my foot off the brake, a little more brake triggers the brake hold. A little more brake than that is required to trigger the start/stop (and only if all the conditions on its operation are met). When time to go approaches, a little throttle restarts the engine and a little more releases the brake hold. If the brake hold system isn't active or isn't triggered, just releasing the brake restarts the engine.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11349
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:05 pm There's a defeat button if it causes undesired behavior, or it's usually possible to finesse the system into the desired behavior.

Our MDX has different thresholds in the pedals that trigger and release the brake hold (if active) and start/stop systems. Except on a steep downhill, I can stop with a light enough touch to activate neither system. If it's a longer stop and I want to be able to take my foot off the brake, a little more brake triggers the brake hold. A little more brake than that is required to trigger the start/stop (and only if all the conditions on its operation are met). When time to go approaches, a little throttle restarts the engine and a little more releases the brake hold. If the brake hold system isn't active or isn't triggered, just releasing the brake restarts the engine.
My wife's Cherokee will restart to run the HVAC if the shutdown is longer than a few minutes. No, I don't know what its criteria are for restarting, but suppose maybe Delta T triggers it, because I typically only notice it when the outside temperature is uncomfortably cold or hot.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 2364
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:10 pm

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by ColJessip »

potownrob wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:02 am
ColJessip wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:22 am What a nice reunion. I have no idea what made me come check standardshift. Amazing that the board is still going!

I also haven't been driving a stick :(. My fiesta ST was totaled. I picked up a C8 in November which only is available with a DCT.
Holy crow bro, how have you been?! Idk why I come in here either, maybe just force of habit, or some weird gravity-like force. Didn’t you have a Passat and or a GTO at one point in time a few year back? Could be mixing you up with someone else…are you the Porkchop??
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes I'm the Porkchop :D

Been a crazy (but good) few years for sure! Hope everything is going will with you.

No, I never had a passat. I had a GTO, then a Olds Delta 88, then a Fiesta.
IMBoring25
Moderator
Posts: 3390
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:01 pm
Location: OK, USA

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by IMBoring25 »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:52 amMy wife's Cherokee will restart to run the HVAC if the shutdown is longer than a few minutes. No, I don't know what its criteria are for restarting, but suppose maybe Delta T triggers it, because I typically only notice it when the outside temperature is uncomfortably cold or hot.
Voltage is definitely part of it, both in determining whether the system kicks in at all and in determining when to restart. Ironically, there's a low-output mode on the alternator to save fuel, which makes the start/stop to save fuel very hit-and-miss unless I've recently had the vehicle on a charger to top the battery off.
Post Reply