Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:44 am Dealer techs are more often than not far more aware of what goes on with their brands' vehicles than some random independent shop. I promise you I can look over a Mopar product and come up with a list of parts that are on their way out or failed entirely that most mechanics would never even see. There's a reason small shops send cars and customers to us: we know what's going on.
that makes total sense, but these items were recommended based solely on mileage or age of the car. They wanted her to replace the water pump and engine valves, but there is nothing indicating they found signs of near future failure, the email from the service advisor just says that these items are due. The car has under 100k miles and is a Honda.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ANYONE INTERESTED IN A CHINESE DUMPLING?

"STELLANTIS DUMPS CHINESE PARTNERS - Autoline Daily
Stellantis is dumping its joint venture partners in China. It’s closing down a joint venture it has with GAC, the Guangzhou Automotive Group. And it reached an agreement with Dongfeng to sell the shares it has in Stellantis. Stellantis has been losing money in China for years and has seen its sales plummet there. Now its plan is to import electrified Jeeps and to pursue an asset light strategy. That suggests to us it may hire a contract manufacturer like Magna or Foxconn to assemble vehicles for it in China. Other foreign automakers like Volkswagen and BMW are also taking more ownership and control of their joint ventures in China, and we expect others to do the same. The main reason we say that is the more of the joint venture you own, the more profits you get to keep."

That last line - so true. Generous Motors sold a lot of cars in China, but as a condition of doing business in China had to split the profit with their mandatory Chinese partner company and so GM really didn't make much money. Now, the know-nothing partners have had insider access to technology, designs, processes, business methods, etc. and they are setting to become competitors instead of partners. It's like an old hooer took on a young hooer-to-be as an apprentice, but did all the work entertaining the customer so the apprentice would see how it is done, all while splitting the profit with the apprentice, and now the apprentice is ready to open up shop on their own.

https://www.media.stellantis.com/em-en/ ... -gac-group
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:32 pm ANYONE INTERESTED IN A CHINESE DUMPLING?

Stellantis is dumping its joint venture partners in China. It’s closing down a joint venture it has with GAC, the Guangzhou Automotive Group. And it reached an agreement with Dongfeng to sell the shares it has in Stellantis. Stellantis has been losing money in China for years and has seen its sales plummet there. Now its plan is to import electrified Jeeps and to pursue an asset light strategy. That suggests to us it may hire a contract manufacturer like Magna or Foxconn to assemble vehicles for it in China. Other foreign automakers like Volkswagen and BMW are also taking more ownership and control of their joint ventures in China, and we expect others to do the same. The main reason we say that is the more of the joint venture you own, the more profits you get to keep."

That last line - so true. Generous Motors sold a lot of cars in China, but as a condition of doing business in China had to split the profit with their mandatory Chinese partner company and so GM really didn't make much money. Now, the know-nothing partners have had insider access to technology, designs, processes, business methods, etc. and they are setting to become competitors instead of partners. It's like an old hooer took on a young hooer-to-be as an apprentice, but did all the work entertaining the customer so the apprentice would see how it is done, all while splitting the profit with the apprentice, and now the apprentice is ready to open up shop on their own.

hier eye fraught ewe were going to bee talk king about a volvo. butt does that even work the same for them? are they even really chinese? are they really swedish?
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:12 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:32 pm ANYONE INTERESTED IN A CHINESE DUMPLING?

hier eye fraught ewe were going to bee talk king about a volvo. butt does that even work the same for them? are they even really chinese? are they really swedish?
R U askin' the guy who refers to his former employer as "The Company Formerly Known as Chrysler" (everyone knows who that is)? Volvo Cars, knot tubey cornfused with Volvo Group, is majorly owned by the Chinese company Geely, but headquartered in Sweden. I guess that makes them Swedish company. They build 'em in a bunch of countries.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Uncle Tony Drank the Kool-Aid

He's converting his Bottle-Rocket Racecar to a Slushbox.....but he still sez why for street-n-Strip you rilly want to be Amish.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYhTySApxQQ[/youtube]
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

interesting perspective there, but poor tony looks a lot older than when eye last saw him.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:27 am R U askin' the guy who refers to his former employer as "The Company Formerly Known as Chrysler" (everyone knows who that is)? Volvo Cars, knot tubey cornfused with Volvo Group, is majorly owned by the Chinese company Geely, but headquartered in Sweden. I guess that makes them Swedish company. They build 'em in a bunch of countries.
now it all makes sense :)
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

potownrob wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:51 am
watkins wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:44 am Dealer techs are more often than not far more aware of what goes on with their brands' vehicles than some random independent shop. I promise you I can look over a Mopar product and come up with a list of parts that are on their way out or failed entirely that most mechanics would never even see. There's a reason small shops send cars and customers to us: we know what's going on.
that makes total sense, but these items were recommended based solely on mileage or age of the car. They wanted her to replace the water pump and engine valves, but there is nothing indicating they found signs of near future failure, the email from the service advisor just says that these items are due. The car has under 100k miles and is a Honda.
Hondas aren't actually any better than other brands, you know. Every brand and every platform has known issues. Sometimes it's worth doing the common stuff preventatively than waiting for it to fail and potentially cause larger issues. The vast majority of drivers are incredible ignorant when it comes to their vehicles, after all.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

First it was Daimler,....then it was Cerberus,.....then it was Fiat,.....now it's PSA,.....say what you want, but automakers appreciate the profits that "The Company Formerly Known as Chrysler" is able to contribute to a partner / owner.

NORTH AMERICA CARRIES STELLANTIS - Autoline Daily
Carlos Tavares showed the automotive world once again why he’s considered one of the top CEOs in the industry. Stellantis just posted its first half earnings and the numbers are really impressive. Stellantis sold just over 3 million vehicles, down more than 7%. But its revenue jumped 17% to €88 billion and €8 billion of that dropped to the bottom line, which was 34% higher than a year ago. North America is the real money machine for Stellantis, and what was the old Chrysler, accounted for 60% of the company’s profits. Even more amazing, the old Chrysler group hit an operating profit margin of 18.1%. That’s even better than Tesla which hit an operating margin of 14.6% last quarter.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

meh. not impressed with most of these newer designs, especially the EV ones. :|
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:27 am meh. not impressed with most of these newer designs, especially the EV ones. :|
Looks?....Schmooks!

When you're sitting in the vehicle, you can't even tell what it looks like, or even if summon stole your hubcaps and license plate. I heard that if you blindfold the driver, even the Potniac Aztek will look good to them.

Let Tesla and the rest have their cars make "Jetson-Mobile" sounds, because I think Dodge is on the right track to replicate the sound and feel of a real muscle car.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Ruh-Roh Rastro?

No, Ruh-Roh Retro!
WEY PHEV GOES FULL PT RETRO - Autoline Daily
The newest PHEV from China sure looks like it took its inspiration from Chrysler’s PT Cruiser, with maybe a bit of the coffin-nosed Cord 810 and a 1953 Buick Roadmaster mixed into the front end grille. In fact, a lot of the design elements look like they were lifted right out of an old J.C. Whitney catalog. Even so, it sure is a head turner. This is the Wey Yuanmeng. Wey is one of the brands from Great Wall Motors. This PHEV is powered by a turbo 1.5 liter and an electric motor with a combined 238 horsepower. It reportedly can go an impressive 125 miles in pure electric mode. No word yet on what it’s going to cost but the car makes its official public debut tomorrow and when we get that info we’ll let you know.

https://carnewschina.com/wp-content/upl ... 00x504.jpg
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

It's a four-door "classic" Beetle with a Continental kit and a generic '30s nose.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:10 pm It's a four-door "classic" Beetle with a Continental kit and a generic '30s nose.
No Wey!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ora_Punk_Cat