Motorcycle help anyone?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Bodder
Senior Standardshifter

Motorcycle help anyone?

Post by Bodder »

I've been looking into getting a motorcycle in the summer. I have relatives that ride and could probably give me some lessons/pointers but I still plan on taking a MSF course in the beginning of the summer.

My question for SS:
Does anyone on here have there motorcycle permit/license?
Anyone know ANYTHING about bikes.

I plan on getting a 250cc or under to start off with so theres no issues in size but would like to learn from someones thats gone through it.

Thanks SS,
Ian
ra64t wrote: yeah, she has a stick now
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I've done lots of reading, and I mean lots, and the best thing you can do, is start out slow on a smaller bike (ninja 250 or ninja 500 seems to be one of the favorites) and take the MSF course before you do any riding.

And buy quality gear. Why skimp on your helmet and leathers when a cheap helmet that cracks when you hit the ground could cause major damage. Is it wortht he extra 300 bucks to know that you've got the best helmet out there? To me it is. If you're gonna skimp, skimp on gloves or boots or pants, but not he jacket or helmet.

Also, visit totalmotorcycle.com Great forums over there.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Took the MSF course, but haven't ridden since. I took their class, pass their skill test, then took a DMV written test to get a motorcycle license. I would love to get a Ninja 250 (I haven't seen another 250 bike with a 6 speed, f/r disc brakes, and water cooled engine) if people around socal aren't so crazy. They'll provide the helmets, but get one that fits your head if you're serious about this. And they said that a leather jacket gives you good protection against abrasion, not that I've tried it out. I'd get leather pants if I'm to ride regularly. You'll need boots that cover the ankle and full fingered gloves for the class.

I think motorcycles are more stable than a bicycle, since they aren't as top heavy, as long as you don't over drive them. But they require smoother input than bicycles, especially in lower gears. With practice, which I lack, I don't think it'll be a big problem. 2 crucial things to learn are handling rear wheel skid and separating braking from turning.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

I was sooo tempted to get a bike lately... but I decided to save for a mr2 instead, but a bike is still on the cards 8)

The Ninja 250 would be a good choice... and dude get riding and have fun :D
<3 fwd
Bodder
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bodder »

Thanks guys,

A friend and I plan on taking the 3 day MSF course over the summer and getting probably ninjas since its the only really convenient 250cc.

I plan on buying full fingered gloves for the course
A jacket, helmet, and boots can all wait till I get the actual bike so I know its going through.

Whats the permit/test like anyone know?
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I'd like to get into motorcycles eventualy, but seeing the way many drivers act toward bikes is kind of discouraging. :? anyway, good luck.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

have no pointers to give you other than to say good luck with the course and everything

i would love to have a bike but my family and girlfriend will not allow me :(. i've always wanted one since i was little considering my grandfather, father, and uncle owned a motorcycle, i feel like it's in my blood
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
Oldladykiller
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Oldladykiller »

i wouldnt get a 250, u will grow out of it very quickly and iif u plan on doing any highway driving then this bike isnt gonna be comfortable on it. get at least a 500, suzuki or kawasakis make good ones and i'd get it used. do a season with one of those bikes and if u grow out of it or just want something nicer get something new next season.

if u dont plan on going over 115mph ever then a 500 bike will be perfect. i'd take the suzuki though because to be honest the ninja 500 is ugly.

i started on a 500 with no experience at all and im happy with the choice i made.

the test is pretty simple, but do it on the little scooter they have if u can, its a lot easier and sometimes the test is more designed for a little scooter so if u try it on a regular bike it might be harder.
Bodder
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bodder »

Oldladykiller wrote:i wouldnt get a 250, u will grow out of it very quickly and iif u plan on doing any highway driving then this bike isnt gonna be comfortable on it. get at least a 500, suzuki or kawasakis make good ones and i'd get it used. do a season with one of those bikes and if u grow out of it or just want something nicer get something new next season.

if u dont plan on going over 115mph ever then a 500 bike will be perfect. i'd take the suzuki though because to be honest the ninja 500 is ugly.

i started on a 500 with no experience at all and im happy with the choice i made.

the test is pretty simple, but do it on the little scooter they have if u can, its a lot easier and sometimes the test is more designed for a little scooter so if u try it on a regular bike it might be harder.
EVERY other place I've read/talked to have recomended 250. yes they mentioned that I would grow out of it but they said the turn around for the bikes is very fast because of this. ninja 250 0-60 is in the 5 seconds. To learn on thats plenty fast with me
Oldladykiller
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Oldladykiller »

ya i dont recommend the 500 because of its speed, its just better than a 250. for just starting out and just learning the 500 is perfect, the 250 is fine too but why go 250 the 500 is perfect and it will last u longer and if u go on the highway u wont blow around all over the road. the 500 goes 0-60 in 4 seconds and it felt slow as hell after a couple months.
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Post by dklkse »

I don't know much about motorcycles, but the general consensus is that the Ninja 250 is more than enough for a beginner.

When the time comes, look for a used one. They're all over the place.
It'll be a little cheaper, and you wouldn't feel as bad dropping the bike (which just about about every new bike rider will do at some point).
hockeystyx16 wrote:they got ABS placebo all up their ass making them feel safe and warm
Bodder
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bodder »

dklkse wrote:I don't know much about motorcycles, but the general consensus is that the Ninja 250 is more than enough for a beginner.

When the time comes, look for a used one. They're all over the place.
It'll be a little cheaper, and you wouldn't feel as bad dropping the bike (which just about about every new bike rider will do at some point).
I cringe every time someone mentions dropping bikes. Cant be good I hear you have to go get allignment done on your fork and other good stuff.

Anyways. Thanks guys, sorry CBD but I am still going to stick with 250.

MSF sign-ups are in feb so I have a while to wait. In the mean time CBD do you know what are good equip? or where I should look?
DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '91 Camaro RS, '86 944

Post by DocPHD »

find a motorcycle dealer. 9 out of 10 times they'll sell really good equipment
GM CEO wrote: What is a Camaro? it's a small ferocious animal that eats Mustangs
Bodder
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bodder »

DocPHD wrote:find a motorcycle dealer. 9 out of 10 times they'll sell really good equipment
Cool, we have a couple around me. Ill go with my friend and look, Ill tell the dealers Im Christmas shopping :)