I think I've been doing this badly...

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Zinc Alloy
Junior Standardshifter

I think I've been doing this badly...

Post by Zinc Alloy »

Hey all, quick question...how bad is this? At red lights what I've been doing when I see the light about to turn I release the clutch until I hit the point of movement but then hold the brake and clutch until the light is green then of course release break and give gas. Now that I've been reading around I think this is called slipping the clutch too longer and its bad...if so how bad and what else should I do for really bad red lights cause I'm terrible at quick launches.
-07 Mustang GT
Can't touch me cause I'm cosmic!
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

In reality, you are not incurring much wear by doing what you are doing since you are slipping the clutch at such low RPMs; however, it is highly advisable to not let this become a habit.

I say, do not worry about how quick you launch. If you would like to launch quick, practice it in a place with no traffic until it is second nature. That way, you will be able to launch quick anywhere without resorting to ill habits.

Besides, you have a V8. You will be hard-pressed to stall that thing. :wink:
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Azrael
Senior Standardshifter

Re: I think I've been doing this badly...

Post by Azrael »

Zinc Alloy wrote:Hey all, quick question...how bad is this? At red lights what I've been doing when I see the light about to turn I release the clutch until I hit the point of movement but then hold the brake and clutch until the light is green then of course release break and give gas. Now that I've been reading around I think this is called slipping the clutch too longer and its bad...if so how bad and what else should I do for really bad red lights cause I'm terrible at quick launches.
You are wearing down you clutch unnecessarily, needless to say you need to get comfortable with your car.

Best to practice launching at various RPMs, preferably in an open area. Start with the slow deliberate launch, then start adding throttle and releasing the clutch a little quicker. Keep it under control so that you don't lose traction, sooner than later you will find that you can launch quickly from a light without "warming up" your clutch.
-=2003 Black Corvette Z06=-
Mike_AR
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Acura RSX

Post by Mike_AR »

You're slipping the clutch unnecessarily so I would recommend not doing it. The trick with lights is to watch for the other lights to turn yellow and then red which means yours will turn green. I usually have enough time to get into gear when the other light turns red because there is a short pause before my light turns green.

If you can't see the lights for cross traffic then you have to just pay attention to the pattern of traffic. It's usually a dead give away that cross traffic has a yellow light when they slow down.

You'll get better and faster with launches and if you pay attention to traffic enough you'll get a six sense of when your light will turn green. Also don't worry about pleasing the impatient auto driver behind you.
Life is better with three pedals
Zinc Alloy
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Zinc Alloy »

Thanks, my launch is important to me because I can shift from 3-4-5 easy as hell and downshift good as hell, but my launching and shifting into 2nd are humiliating me again and again whenever I see my girlfriend's face look shocked.
-07 Mustang GT
Zinc Alloy
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Zinc Alloy »

Oh I forgot to mention this, launching is something I'm nervous about cause when I was practicing on my days manual saturn I slipped the clutch to quick and it turned off on me at a green light, women rear ended us. So now I'm always trying to get going asap at greens for fear of that happening to my new baby!
-07 Mustang GT
Mike_AR
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Mike_AR »

Zinc Alloy wrote:Thanks, my launch is important to me because I can shift from 3-4-5 easy as hell and downshift good as hell, but my launching and shifting into 2nd are humiliating me again and again whenever I see my girlfriend's face look shocked.
Just go practice for about an hour in an empty parking only doing launches. The only way you'll get better is with practice. Also this way you won't have any pressure from traffic and someone else in the car. Keep practicing until you are satisfied with your launches.
Azrael
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Azrael »

Part of the launch problem is your anxiety about it. Also it is better to not jump a green, unless you are launching for a run down the 1320. The more comfortable you get with the launch the more automatic with will be. The 1-2 shift is usually the jerkiest because you are doing the most acceleration. To help it out get out of 1st a little sooner. 1st should get you rolling, you should accelerate in 2nd.
Last edited by Azrael on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
-=2003 Black Corvette Z06=-
Mike_AR
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Mike_AR »

Zinc Alloy wrote:Oh I forgot to mention this, launching is something I'm nervous about cause when I was practicing on my days manual saturn I slipped the clutch to quick and it turned off on me at a green light, women rear ended us. So now I'm always trying to get going asap at greens for fear of that happening to my new baby!
If you stall immediately hit the brakes to warn people behind you that you have stopped. On flat ground probably won't have problems rolling so it's more about warning people behind you.

That's one of the things to keep in mind when driving a manual. If you stall there are no brake lights unless you hit the brakes. When I was learning everyone behind stopped in time when I stalled because I hit the brakes immediately to warn them.
Last edited by Mike_AR on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

If launching is something you are nervous about, that is a dead-ringer for you to practice it more. Practice it until you are not only un-nervous, but until you can launch with gusto at the drop of a hat. Let your Mustang rip. It wants to go!
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Definitely practice your launches - no need to slip the clutch like that at a light. Until the light turns green, you should be in neutral off the clutch.

For example, if your foot were to somehow slip off the clutch, you could end up in the middle of the intersection. Not good.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

yeah don't do that. you're sitting there slipping your clutch and wearing it out for no reason. will it cause your clutch to die tomorrow? no. will it shorten its life? definitely. how much? who can say. you want to keep slipping to a minimum.

just get ready with the car in gear and the clutch on the floor, then go when it's time to go.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Post by Prodigal Son »

Most of it has been covered but there is one important point that I don't think anyone has mentioned, and that is the hand brake. In a manual, the rule is stop the car with the foot brake; hold the car with the hand brake. If you learned to drive in a slushie, you probably learned to hold the car with the foot break. If you carry that habit over to a manual, though, you make life difficult for yourself.

Most people know about doing a hand brake launch on a hill. But in fact you should be doing a hand brake launch on practically every launch. This way your right foot is free to operate the gas, which will allow you to get away quicker and more confidently when the light changes.

Here's what you do:

1. When you come to a stop, set the hand brake and take your foot off the foot brake. Put the shifter in neutral, release the clutch, and relax.

2. Watch the intersection for signs that your light is about to go green. Yellow on the cross street or on the left turn lane are good indicators.

3. Prepare to launch. Depress the clutch, put the shifter in first, poise your foot over the gas pedal and your right hand on the hand brake.

4. When the light turns green, launch normally, dropping the hand brake as the clutch bites.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
aaron_rx8
Junior Standardshifter

Post by aaron_rx8 »

The biggest problem I've been having is the alternate green side goes first - ie the one side gets a green and a turn arrow first.

I always get ready to launch and then realize I have to stay there for another 10 seconds - heh.
2005 RX-8 Shinka
Black Cherry is a manly color, right? ;)
Zinc Alloy
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Zinc Alloy »

I don't really feel confident using the handbrake it makes me nervous using that thing but if you suggest its worth it I'll give it a shot. Does anyone else use the handbrake like that to launch?
-07 Mustang GT