Test Drove a Tc: A review

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
CaliforniaZX
Senior Standardshifter

Test Drove a Tc: A review

Post by CaliforniaZX »

After a hiatus from driving a manual, I was able to test drive a Tc--a car that was on my "to consider" list.

Some thoughts:

I am glad that toyota stuck with a rod shift connection, because the cable shift connections in the last generation of celicas were very dissapointing. The ride was pretty high, for a sports car--or a "sporty" car. I felt like I was riding in a camry, the car that shares the same engine with the Tc. The roof is way too low. I am only about 5'10'' and the back seat was literally 1 cm above my head. Thank God the back seat reclined. I think overall, what bugged me the most was the suspension and layout. The front wheel is EASILY broken loose if you give too much gas on the launch. Why have a 2.4 liter, when your wheels respond so crappy to low end torque? AND, I hear some people actually supercharge this thing? I hope they really overhauled the stock suspension. Some good points are, that the Tc comes with a plethora of BASE options (i.e. cd, AUX mp3 compatibility, moonroof... etc). Some things I would change is add an LSD, and find a way to lower the seats a little bit more. In conclusion, it is a great car for the price, but with that money, I rather buy a new civic coupe.

Ride: 7/10
Comfort: 7/10
Options: 9/10
Quality: 8/10

Final Thought:
This is a great car for the budget-conscience student who wants a lot of options for a modest price.

:D
Long Live.

Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

Yes, if you buy it, drop $150 and buy the rear sway bar. It's dirt simple to install, if frustrating, and the suspension will flat smoke a stock Civic's (non Si).

And if you can, find one with Yokohoma S32 tires on it, instead of the Bridgestone Turanzas. Much better traction and control, although you can still break them loose very easily. I still do it to this day. :lol:
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

Everyone I know that drives a TC is a Mac person. Including the one that cut me off with the Apple logo on the back.

Nuff' said.
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Post by dklkse »

^^ LOL :lol:

I almost bought a Tc when I was looking for a new car. However, I had heard numerous rattle and squeak horror stories, as well as shattering moon roofs. No thanks. (I know that those issues have probably largely been taken care of by now, but the tC was still a fairly new model when I was buying).
hockeystyx16 wrote:they got ABS placebo all up their ass making them feel safe and warm
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Post by dklkse »

paul34 wrote:It is disappointing, but it seems many new cars these days are coming with rattles and such after just a few thousand miles :|
Mine included ('05 Mazda3). :x :evil:
They don't bother me too much, but every now and then a big rattle makes me feel like it's falling apart...
hockeystyx16 wrote:they got ABS placebo all up their ass making them feel safe and warm
bunnyman
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 tC

Post by bunnyman »

StrangeWill wrote:Everyone I know that drives a TC is a Mac person.
I drive one, but I use Linux.

It doesn't squeak and rattle, I don't think. It goes voom-voom. Unless I jam on the gas too hard when launching, then it goes chirp-chirp-chirp-squee-voom. Wheel hop FTL.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

dklkse wrote:
paul34 wrote:It is disappointing, but it seems many new cars these days are coming with rattles and such after just a few thousand miles :|
Mine included ('05 Mazda3). :x :evil:
It's Japanese engineering, I swear. In American engineering, you have metal screws that hold everything together. Doesn't look pretty, but it never squeaks. In Japanese engineering, everything's held together with weird plastic parts that always rub and squeak.

My 96 Beretta never squeaked, until I removed an interior panel to swap out the speakers. My tC squeaked three days off lot. :x
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

StrangeWill wrote:Everyone I know that drives a TC is a Mac person. Including the one that cut me off with the Apple logo on the back.

Nuff' said.
Sorry let me correct myself, thats the Tb that Mac happy people drive.
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

but screws look cheap and ugly! :lol:

my accord has been pretty silent on the rattle front...but theres a lot of other accord drivers that complain of rattles. *shrug*
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
bunnyman
Senior Standardshifter

Post by bunnyman »

StrangeWill wrote:Sorry let me correct myself, thats the Tb that Mac happy people drive.
You probably mean the xB, which is the box on wheels. The tC is a hatchback.
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

bunnyman wrote:
StrangeWill wrote:Sorry let me correct myself, thats the Tb that Mac happy people drive.
Damn you're right D:
Nervous
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nervous »

bunnyman wrote:
i don't consider it a hatchback, the GTi is a hatchback, the tC is more of a an Economy Coupe with a Hatchback style trunk.
bunnyman
Senior Standardshifter

Post by bunnyman »

Kelley Blue Book lists the GTI and tC as both being "hatchback coupe."
Nervous
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nervous »

Nah, from the body styling I'd NEVER consider the tC to be a Hatchback. It doesn't have the Hatchback body that the GTi does. I don't care what anyone says, it's still an Economy Coupe to me.
Sisrahtac
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Sisrahtac »

I drove a slushbox version a while ago. I didn't like it.

* Inadequate head room
* Light and artificial springy steering
* Poor handling - The tires squeeled and the car leaned too much when I took a turn at the speed I normally take it at.
* Lack of torque
* Squishy and weak brakes
* Goofy interior

I'm sure a third pedal would have made it more enjoyable, but that's what I recall. I'm sure with a few aftermarket parts, the tC could be a better car to drive.

But in stock form, I deem it suitable for suburban high school girls that begin every sentence with "Like."