Boston, MA area driving schools w/ manual trans. lessons?

aloysius12
Junior Standardshifter

Boston, MA area driving schools w/ manual trans. lessons?

Post by aloysius12 »

I want to learn to drive a stick shift and am looking for driving schools in the Boston, MA area that offer lessons with cars equipped with a manual transmission.

I tried calling two dozen schools but none (!) had cars outfitted with manual transmissions.

Does anybody know of schools in that area that offer lessons with stick shift equipped cars?

Many thanks,
-Al
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

your better off asking around for someone to teach you or buying a beater and learning on that.
FREE ROMAN!
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

just buy one and get out there and drive. Thats how I learned. The day i bought my car was the 3rd time I drove stick, and I drove it home during rush hour without stalling once. It wasn't very smooth, but it was definitely exciting.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

buy a beater, watch all of the videos here, and ask any questions that come up. Basically, other than some teaching from my dad, I learned how to drive my car just from this site and a little practice.

It used to be that somebody had to teach you to drive a car. My grandparents learned from someone, my parents learned from someone, etc.

Buy a beater, learn to drive it.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Post by dklkse »

comingbackdown wrote:Buy a beater, learn to drive it.
+1. If no one out there can teach you, this is the best idea, IMO. Schools that teach manual are hard to find.
There's only one driving school that teaches stick in maybe 100 mile radius from where I live.
hockeystyx16 wrote:they got ABS placebo all up their ass making them feel safe and warm
loylee
Junior Standardshifter

Re: Boston, MA area driving schools w/ manual trans. lessons

Post by loylee »

aloysius12 wrote:I want to learn to drive a stick shift and am looking for driving schools in the Boston, MA area that offer lessons with cars equipped with a manual transmission.

I tried calling two dozen schools but none (!) had cars outfitted with manual transmissions.

Does anybody know of schools in that area that offer lessons with stick shift equipped cars?

Many thanks,
-Al
Try Craigslist, post an ad there ask ppl to teach you with their beater. There are many young guys/girls in Cambridge/Somerville area that drive old manual cars. I know because I work in Somerville and 8 out of 10 guys/girls I know are driving either a manual car or riding a bycicle. Offer 30 bucks an hour and probably a bear in Davis or Union sq, I am sure you will get tons of replies, maybe you will get yourself a date too :lol:
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

and while your on craigslist, look for a beater. you can probably find a POS under 500 bucks that runs and shifts. thats really all you need it to do to learn stick
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
sociableorg
Junior Standardshifter

Post by sociableorg »

I am in a similar situation as you are in (Boston area, trying to learn stick). Did you end up finding anyone to help? Appreciate a response!
aloysius12 wrote:I want to learn to drive a stick shift and am looking for driving schools in the Boston, MA area that offer lessons with cars equipped with a manual transmission.

Many thanks,
-Al
Audi6spd
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Audi6spd »

Many thanks,
-Al
Grand Prix Driving School out of Hyannis, MA offers manual driving lessons. You could give that a try, idk how far you live from the cape.
-2006 Audi S4 4.2L V8