Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:10 pm
ClutchFork wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:19 am Pleae give me instructions for the easiest way through a roundabout, e.g. do I take a jacked up 4WD F350 with monster mudders and go straight through like as if it is a normal intersection?

Where did they get the idea for roundabouts? Aliens?
Clothes, but no (Bob) Seger.

It was from NASA...they never drop straight in on a planet or moon. They always circle around a bit first.

...or was it from Navy pilots coming in for carrier landings.....No, I guess some of them would come straight in if they could. Same goes for planes landing on runways - they don't all circle round before landing.
They say dogs circle around and align themselves on a North-South axis before dropping a load. Maybe you really don't want to drive across the island in the center of a roundabout.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:39 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:10 pm
ClutchFork wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:19 am Pleae give me instructions for the easiest way through a roundabout, e.g. do I take a jacked up 4WD F350 with monster mudders and go straight through like as if it is a normal intersection?

Clothes, but no (Bob) Seger.

It was from NASA...they never drop straight in on a planet or moon. They always circle around a bit first.

...or was it from Navy pilots coming in for carrier landings.....No, I guess some of them would come straight in if they could. Same goes for planes landing on runways - they don't all circle round before landing.
They say dogs circle around and align themselves on a North-South axis before dropping a load. Maybe you really don't want to drive across the island in the center of a roundabout.
If I pick anything up in those monster mudders, I can simply goose the pedal and fling it onto the next electric vehicle I see.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

In New England we call them rotaries and I absolutely cannot fathom why people struggle so much with them. They're organized chaos with easy to follow rules.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

watkins wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:08 am

In New England we call them rotaries and I absolutely cannot fathom why people struggle so much with them. They're organized chaos with easy to follow rules.
To us old school drivers (i started driving in the 1970s) they are more like demolition derbies.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:11 pm
watkins wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:08 am

To us old school drivers (i started driving in the 1970s) they are more like demolition derbies.
Yeah, and those octagonal red signs that say "Stop" on em - whatcha sposta do there?

Poe-tae-toe, Pah-tah-tah

I've seen people drive into them with no idea there would be traffic coming from their left.
I've seen that guy that was just too unsure to pull in ( Car C ).
I've seen a semi pull in and occupy multiple lanes ( really need larger diameters to accommodate long vehicles )

Maybe there ought to be mandatory driver's education refresher courses when renewing one's, or two's operator's license.

The more recent "Double-Dog-Dare-Ya" intersections are also a challenge to someone who is unaware of them.

Locally, I think Michigan ought to stop vehicles at the border and inform the drivers about "Michigan Lefts"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Stop signs are bad. They cause people to violate the law doing rolling stops. Really, lets get rid of stop signs and go by the Alaska Highway rule (bigger vehicle gets right of way). There also is the Texas lane merge where you don't put your turn signal on until you see a gap and are headed into it, else the other drivers if they see your signal will close the gap and prevent you from merging.

As for the round abouts the one you posted on the right might work better if each big green arrow were an overpass.

But that "Double-Dog-Dare-Ya" is like a game of chicken. We have something like that here if you are getting off I-94 to Telegraph road and making a left the turn is like wrong side of the road, the oncoming cars are whizzing by on your right instead of your left, totally disorienting. I think Beck Road over I-96 is similar or was it Wixom Road, somewhere out there.

They should get the peoples permission before they can put these bassakward logic intersections in any neighborhood.

Here is one way not to negotiate a round about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTk_kPeA63c

I think these roundabout and other crazy intersections are being installed to get people so frustrated they will finally accept autonomous cars just go stop having to deal with the interesections.
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:43 pm Stop signs are bad. They cause people to violate the law doing rolling stops. Really, lets get rid of stop signs and go by the Alaska Highway rule (bigger vehicle gets right of way). There also is the Texas lane merge where you don't put your turn signal on until you see a gap and are headed into it, else the other drivers if they see your signal will close the gap and prevent you from merging.

As for the round abouts the one you posted on the right might work better if each big green arrow were an overpass.

But that "Double-Dog-Dare-Ya" is like a game of chicken. We have something like that here if you are getting off I-94 to Telegraph road and making a left the turn is like wrong side of the road, the oncoming cars are whizzing by on your right instead of your left, totally disorienting. I think Beck Road over I-96 is similar or was it Wixom Road, somewhere out there.

They should get the peoples permission before they can put these bassakward logic intersections in any neighborhood.

Here is one way not to negotiate a round about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTk_kPeA63c

I think these roundabout and other crazy intersections are being installed to get people so frustrated they will finally accept autonomous cars just go stop having to deal with the interesections.
The first Double-Dog-Dare-Ya I was aware of was going to be built where University Drive crosses over I-75 in Auburn Hills.
After reading an article in a newspaper, I googled to find out more about it. Would you imagine that there would be a Double-Dog-Dare-Ya at University Drive andI-75....in Florida? Anyway, that one spans over the freeway, so it's a bit better to picture as you drive up to it. To me, the ones that pass under the freeway, like at 14 Mile Road, Big Beaver Road and as planned for 12 Mile Road, are shrouded by the roadway and not as easy to see what's coming up ahead. I haven't tried the pedestrian routes through these interchanges, but they look safer than trying to walk through a Roundabout.

Yanno, they are a lot like Roundabouts in that they seek to eliminate head-on and T-bone crashes, but there can be a trade-off to more side-swipe crashes. I've heard they almost eliminate deaths, ( Okay, except for that guy that got his pick-m-up airborne ) but there are more collision claims, at least for the Roundabouts. I haven't read any statistics on the Double-Dog-Dare-Ya interchanges.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

The DDI sure looks to me like it would invite confused drivers meeting other drivers head-on, especially when lane markings are obsucured by heavy rain, ice, or snow. On the other hand, I wasn't completely sold on the SPUI either, and I will now go slightly out of my way to use them rather than the traditional traffic-light-on-either-side-of-the-overpass style.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

eye believe eye came upon one of these a while back, eye forget where, but it was something else. kind of like coming upon a roundabout for the first time, it was moar-ore-less a leap of faith. how these junctions and intersections are allowed to be installed without educating the driving masses, seems irresponsible of the govern mint to me. :shock: :arrow: :|
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:50 am ... seems irresponsible of the govern mint to me. :shock: :arrow: :|
Pretty much the status quo.
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:50 am eye believe eye came upon one of these a while back, eye forget where, but it was something else. kind of like coming upon a roundabout for the first time, it was moar-ore-less a leap of faith. how these junctions and intersections are allowed to be installed without educating the driving masses, seems irresponsible of the govern mint to me. :shock: :arrow: :|
Good use of a Pubic Service Announcement.
Maybe those worked better when TV was broadcast over-the-air to a regional market.
I do remember some that were national announcements, like "All aliens need to register with the government",
or how to protect your family from "The Bomb".
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:10 pm
potownrob wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:50 am ... seems irresponsible of the govern mint to me. :shock: :arrow: :|
Pretty much the status quo.
you bite your tongue mister!!
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:16 pm
potownrob wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:50 am eye believe eye came upon one of these a while back, eye forget where, but it was something else. kind of like coming upon a roundabout for the first time, it was moar-ore-less a leap of faith. how these junctions and intersections are allowed to be installed without educating the driving masses, seems irresponsible of the govern mint to me. :shock: :arrow: :|
Maybe those worked better when TV was broadcast over-the-air to a regional market.
I do remember some that were national announcements, like "All aliens need to register with the government",
everything seems more subliminal these days.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

So that is what those two dots are. I recall cars in the 1960s had those on the AM radio and I noticed them but never though what could they be. And I nver saw that informational poster either, maybe it came with a new car, but I didn't have a new car.

I like how Chevy put their name across the push buttons too.
Stick shiftin since '77
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:41 pm
So that is what those two dots are. I recall cars in the 1960s had those on the AM radio and I noticed them but never though what could they be. And I nver saw that informational poster either, maybe it came with a new car, but I didn't have a new car.

I like how Chevy put their name across the push buttons too.
Eye always thought the dots were just there to separate the other numbers.