Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Post by Rope-Pusher »

And then there was the WONDERBAR radio - push the bar and the tuner would scan across the frequencies until it found a chanel of sufficient signal strength.

A play on the German word "Wunderbar", which, when translated to English, means "Aren't any of the stations playing a song that I'd care to listen to?"

https://itstillworks.com/do-wonder-bar- ... 18326.html

You can see the civil defense markings on the Wonderbar radio also.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Coca Cola, WUNDERBARRRRRR :mrgreen:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

You know that Muskie is above and beyond the law, right?

Apparently Deputy Dawg didn't get the memo.

TESLA RECALLS FSD FOR NOT STOPPING AT STOP SIGNS Autoline Today
Tesla is under the gun over safety concerns involving its Full-Self-Driving system. And now it’s being forced to recall nearly 54,000 vehicles in the U.S. because FSD allows cars to roll through stop signs without coming to a full stop. NHTSA says Tesla agreed to perform an over-the-air update to disable that function, which only works when the vehicle is traveling below 5.6 MPH and no other cars, pedestrians or bicyclists are near the intersection. Tesla says it’s not aware of any warranty claims, crashes, injuries or fatalities involving the recall. Here’s our Autoline Insight. Too bad NHTSA is being so picky. Coming to a complete stop when there’s no need to, wastes battery power in EVs and wastes gasoline in ICEs. We think Tesla got it right. And besides, do any of you come to a complete stop when there’s no one around?

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos- ... 022-02-01/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Rear Ends are Being Cut in Half! - Autoline Daily

AUTO-BRAKE SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCES CAR CRASHES
Automatic emergency braking can significantly reduce car crashes, that’s the findings of two different studies released yesterday. The first, from The Partnership for Analytics Research in Traffic Safety, found that front-to-rear accidents dropped by 49% when the striking vehicle is equipped with auto-brake and forward collision warning, compared to vehicles that aren’t equipped with either. And injuries in rear crashes dropped 53% with the technology. The study also found that automatic emergency braking works well in poor weather, road and lighting conditions. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety also released a study that found that AEB can reduce accidents for pickup trucks by 43% and injuries in rear-end crashes by 42%. Pickups are less likely to be equipped with the technology but that’s likely to improve. A group of 20 automakers have made the commitment to equip 95% of their new models with AEB by next August.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/busin ... 649620007/
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

The studies are a little "loaded" looking only at the following vehicle. Every time I've had AEB activate it's INCREASED my chances of a rear-end crash by abruptly braking for a right-turning vehicle for which I've already made adjustments so it will be out of the travel lane before I get there or for closely-spaced simultaneous opposing left turns (most frequently at single-point urban interchanges).

They should also be careful extrapolating these results. These types of technologies tend to become less effective over time as people get used to having them and pay less attention.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:01 am The studies are a little "loaded" looking only at the following vehicle. Every time I've had AEB activate it's INCREASED my chances of a rear-end crash by abruptly braking for a right-turning vehicle for which I've already made adjustments so it will be out of the travel lane before I get there or for closely-spaced simultaneous opposing left turns (most frequently at single-point urban interchanges).

They should also be careful extrapolating these results. These types of technologies tend to become less effective over time as people get used to having them and pay less attention.
Back in the day, there was a lot of similar talk about the CHMSL. Someone came up with data / projections on how many rear impact collisions would be prevented and someone else said that drivers were becoming over-confident and following too closely because they could see through the vehicle(s) ahead of them to the illuminated CHMSLs of vehicles further down the road.

Kinda like AWD - extra traction for acceleration led to over-confidence in braking abilities, which were already based on 4 wheel traction and didn't improve with AWD. I like to keep my Jeep in RWD so it is more sensitive to traction-limiting road conditions. I can always select 4WD when I need it.

I expect that for texters (Texans?) and other similarly distracted drivers, collision alert and automated emergency braking will reduce the occurences of collisions and also reduce the severity of the impact when impact cannot be prevented.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Car Overturns in Wash

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW74aB7aSK8[/youtube]
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Car Overturns in Wash

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnESmfdhR1Y[/youtube]
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Talk about your turnovers,.....

Man rescued after crashing stolen police car on train tracks in Georgia

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/64448930
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

It was slippery walking out of the building today, so I drove home real careful-like. I don't want to total my Jeep AGAIN. It's getting difficult to find a vehicle that Amish may drive.

There were no accidents along the for my drive home, but I'm kinda sprised. Sum folks didn't seem to have cut their speeds any. Maybe they don't like the vehicles they are driving?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqwyOeAL2ls[/youtube]

Up with People!

U.S. PEDESTRIAN FATALITIES UP 5% - Autoline Daily
Here’s a troubling trend. More and more people are getting hit by cars. In the U.S. pedestrian fatalities hit a 40-year high in 2021. And according to new data from the Governors Highway Safety Administration, 3,434 pedestrians were killed in the first half of 2022, up 5% compared to the year before. There are a number of factors causing this. Dangerous driving, which escalated during the pandemic has not gone away. Vehicles are larger and heavier than before – making them more likely to injure or kill a person. And lastly, roads are designed for fast moving traffic, and there’s subpar infrastructure, including crosswalks, sidewalks and lighting.

https://www.ghsa.org/resources/news-rel ... potlight23
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Red-Light Camera with Teeth!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCI9PxV_FXw[/youtube]