Tip for the day by pacroozer

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
GSR
Senior Standardshifter

Tip for the day by pacroozer

Post by GSR »

Developing a perfect launch 101

REmember that the gas pedal is long unlike the clutch pedal.

if you press on the gas with your whole foot you lose range of motion.

however, if you press on the very bottom of the pedal with your toe you have that extra space in between the pedal and the floor to work your see saw with, unlike how you would if you pressed on the top half. This is also crucial for shifting without slip, and for downshifting without slip.
"Powered by Honda"
GSR
Senior Standardshifter

Post by GSR »

but you guys wouldn't know about this would you. considering that you use the engine to limit slip.
"Powered by Honda"
Nervous
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nervous »

GSR wrote:but you guys wouldn't know about this would you. considering that you use the engine to limit slip.
I agree with your first post, that's how I do it. Even though it's impossible to NOT get slip, even though it maybe for for like 2 seconds.

But this quote^ I don't understand.
GSR
Senior Standardshifter

Post by GSR »

my argument is that its better to slip while the gas is falling. as opposed to slipping while the gas is revved. doesn't make sense to me to rev match a downshift.
"Powered by Honda"
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

GSR wrote:my argument is that its better to slip while the gas is falling. as opposed to slipping while the gas is revved. doesn't make sense to me to rev match a downshift.
Ok, rev matches are smoother and less wear, especially at high revs.

You want to downshift from 4th at 2000 rpm, to 2nd at 3200rpm. With a no-gas, you are using the clutch to raise the rpm, and therefore, you are slipping it to smooth it out, or if you drop the clutch, it will jerk the drivetrain, and wear that out.

With a rev matched downshift, take the same scenario, but, instead of using the clutch to raise the rpm, us the gas pedal, blip the gas, and then as you are ready to let the clutch out, you can let it out very fast, because the engine is spinning at the right speed for the next gear.

If you don't understand that, then I don't know if you should even drive a stick.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

GSR wrote:my argument is that its better to slip while the gas is falling. as opposed to slipping while the gas is revved. doesn't make sense to me to rev match a downshift.
Though of course:

If I can launch in 1 second at 2500 RPM, and it takes 2.5 seconds to launch at 1250 RPM, technically it's better to rev (it IS less wear).

Just an example, I don't have a tach installed right now, so I can't tell my revs...
magnus_1986
Master Standardshifter

Post by magnus_1986 »

It MAY be less wear on the clutch but it increases the wear on the drive train exponentially
Do not try to find 3rd, for you may not always reach it. Just go up and let it reach you!
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Post by Hatchman »

When you rev-match, the gas is falling as you release the cutch through the FP. You've blipped and completely let go of the gas when you rev-match.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

Hatchman wrote:
When you rev-match, the gas is falling as you release the cutch through the FP. You've blipped and completely let go of the gas when you rev-match.
exactly, thank you mikey.

now everybody stop feeding the troll.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Sisrahtac
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Sisrahtac »

Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

I vote that all future posts made by GSR/Pacroozer be monitored and approved by a mod or admin before it is allowed for general public viewing....
acadien
Senior Standardshifter

Post by acadien »

No, I can't approve censure like that, let him say what he wants, we can always reply.
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Post by Hatchman »

acadien wrote:No, I can't approve censure like that, let him say what he wants, we can always reply.
And/or ignore.

Plus, John's keeping an eye on things. He aint afraid to use the D button :wink:
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

lol I dont mind cencorship if it's placed on someone who deserves it :lol:
snikro
Senior Standardshifter

Post by snikro »

StrangeWill wrote:
Though of course:

If I can launch in 1 second at 2500 RPM, and it takes 2.5 seconds to launch at 1250 RPM, technically it's better to rev (it IS less wear).

Just an example, I don't have a tach installed right now, so I can't tell my revs...
But, if you launch at lower RPM's, wouldn't it still be ok because, even though you would have to slip longer, the difference between engine speed and wheel speed (wheel=0 obviously) would be much less, so it would be ok to slip the clutch for longer because each second of slip would cause less wear. This is what I heard the CarTalk guys say on the radio- that when you normally launch your car, "it should be on the virge of stalling." This is correct reasoning, no?
'73 Schwinn Suburban
'85 Honda Aero 50 (Sold)