IRC Channel?

About the forum and Standardshift.com.
phishyDUB
Junior Standardshifter

IRC Channel?

Post by phishyDUB »

Hey guys,

I was thinking it'd be pretty cool if we started up an IRC channel for SS. For those of you who don't know IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat and is basically a way to chat with others online. All you need is a simple client program, a server to connect to and a 'channel' (channels are like chat rooms) to join. We could either set up our own IRC server or just leech on a network like EFNet (my server/network of choice). What do you guys think? mIRC and X-Chat are two of my favorite programs. I really like X-Chat because it is free. :lol: If we need someone to provide bots (basically guards to keep our channel ours, anyone can connect to and join channels on IRC, these bots keep the peace) for the channel, I'd be willing to manage/pay for them as well.

phishy
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

We could even integrate a Java-based IRC client on this site for people who visit from work :wink: :wink:
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Red_tsx
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Red_tsx »

sounds like a good idea.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

This has been a topic of discussion in the past. The reasoning for not setting up a SS.com-based IRC or other chat medium is because it would detract from individuals posting in the forums.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

=(
FREE ROMAN!
violinandbass87

Post by violinandbass87 »

Johnf514 wrote:This has been a topic of discussion in the past. The reasoning for not setting up a SS.com-based IRC or other chat medium is because it would detract from individuals posting in the forums.
we wouldn't get our post counts up! :(

:lol:
Red_tsx
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Red_tsx »

that is very true
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

we could use it for a misc. outlet. ;) ;) ditch misc thread~!
FREE ROMAN!
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Post by Standardshifter »

Old-timers might remember the java-based chat we had here for a while.

It basically was always empty. :D Haven't looked to what the latest and greatest is and certainly up for suggestions. I do want a chat that uses the forum database for user authentication to keep things sane.
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
violinandbass87

subzero wrote:we could use it for a misc. outlet. ;) ;) ditch misc thread~!
now thats a good idea...
phishyDUB
Junior Standardshifter

Post by phishyDUB »

Johnf514 wrote:This has been a topic of discussion in the past. The reasoning for not setting up a SS.com-based IRC or other chat medium is because it would detract from individuals posting in the forums.
That's true, hadn't thought about that. If there was a Java based client available on the site it'd be easy for those who are less tech saavy to chat. I don't think it would detract too many posts. I'm always hanging around on IRC in other channels and would idle in the SS channel as well. I think it'd be a nice resource in addition to the forums, not a replacement for them.

phishy
Lynxmann81
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Lynxmann81 »

phishyDUB wrote:
That's true, hadn't thought about that. If there was a Java based client available on the site it'd be easy for those who are less tech saavy to chat. I don't think it would detract too many posts. I'm always hanging around on IRC in other channels and would idle in the SS channel as well. I think it'd be a nice resource in addition to the forums, not a replacement for them.

phishy
I agree with phisy. The IRC channel would be an additional resource not necessarily a replacement. The forums have the advantage of having a bigger audience while IRC has the advantage of more real time response. Though I've noticed that the forums have a near real time response in some cases. :)

I also idle on IRC so there'll be at least two people in the channel. :)

Ian
Ian
2002 Steel Gray BMW M3 6MT
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

i will idle too, as long as i get OP status. ;)

we can have rankings there too

in terms of post count:

99 or less = a regular idler
100-999 = peon
1000+ = OP
FREE ROMAN!
phishyDUB
Junior Standardshifter

Post by phishyDUB »

I'd be totally down with helping manage/start the channel.

phishy
violinandbass87

idle?
peon?

OP?

what??????????