I think I broke it...

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
MCS21
Junior Standardshifter

I think I broke it...

Post by MCS21 »

Hey everyone,

So I've been driving my '06 Mini Cooper S for about 2700 miles and this is the first time (to my recollection) that I have heard this noise when the car is idling in neutral with the clutch out. The best way I can describe it is if you were to stick a piece of paper in an oscillating fan, the sound the paper makes when the blade hits it. It is not too loud, but is still audible inside the car and out. This is my first daily driver manual and I have been pretty hard on it because I am still learning. My upshifting lately has been particularly bad and I'm trying not to get frustrated with it. But anyway what I want to know is is that sound a warning sign?

Thanks in advance.
-Chris
-'06 Mini Cooper S
s4rge
Senior Standardshifter

Post by s4rge »

mo idea :/ not real car savvy @ all ehhe.. hows the oil in the car? or the transmission oil.
1995 Black Mustang GT Vert- Current Mustang
1997 Red Mustang GT Vert- Gone but not forgotten. Red Car in avatar
MCS21
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MCS21 »

The oil is good, there are only 2700 miles on the car. So I don't think that is the problem. I am bringing my car into the dealership on Tuesday for an unrelated problem, so I'll ask them to look at it.

I forgot to add to my first post that when I depress the clutch the sound goes away and then when I get off the clutch it starts in again. So far I have only noticed the sound when the car is idling in neutral and not moving.

Ultimately I'll get an answer for my dealer but I just wanted to pick your brains about it so I know what to expect, if anything, going in.

Thanks.
-Chris
-'06 Mini Cooper S
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

hmm.. I'm stumped on this... I would have thought that there was something in your fans; either one of the ones in the engine or your heat/cool blower fan. Since you say it goes away when you depress the clutch, I'm pretty much stumpped....
MCS21
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MCS21 »

Well I just drove it home and it seemed perfectly fine. Gues I'm just paranoid seeing as its a new car and all. I'll still have the dealer check. It seems to only make the noise if, for instance, I pull up to a stop sign, put it in neutral, press the clutch in and out while the car is still in neutral.

It's weird, chalk it up to it being British I suppose :D
-Chris
-'06 Mini Cooper S
kachun
Junior Standardshifter

Post by kachun »

could it be that you are just hearing the turbine in your supercharger spinning? I am not sure, it's just a wild wild guess 8)
victim
Senior Standardshifter

Post by victim »

does it sound like an acuall grinding sound?

When you are in neutral, and you let the clutch out, your tranny is still spinning with your engine... your just no engauged in any gears.

If you are ever in a hurry, and you hit the clutch and shift it into reverse really fast, you will hear the sound. Also, sometimes when i put my car in what i thought was reverse, it isnt engauged all of the way, and when i let the clutch out, i hear a bunch of grinding sounds.

are you sure your car is in neutral? Try moving the shifter around a little (or try to like press the clutch in, move the shifter all the way to the right, or left and leave it there, and let go of the clutch and still see if it is making the sound)
MCS21
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MCS21 »

Yes, the car is in neutral and it's not a grinding sound. I'm starting to feel like its normal after some research here and there. THanks for the help though guys.
-Chris
-'06 Mini Cooper S
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

If it only happens with the clutch out, it may be the throwout bearing. But this is something no one can know for sure unless you take out the transmission for a look. Your best bet is to have the dealer acknowledge the problem in writing while it is under warranty. If the warranty is over and the clutch dies because of some defective part (and not your skill), you can bring up that piece of paper and say they should have fixed it while it was under warranty.