Sick and Tired

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Sick and Tired

Post by Rope-Pusher »

LOW ROLLING RESISTANCE TIRES HAVE LONGER BRAKING DISTANCES - Autoline Daily
Tires with low rolling resistance can help hybrids get better fuel economy. But Consumer Reports says using those tires result in longer braking distances. It says the hybrid version of the Chrysler Pacifica takes 9 feet longer and the Hyundai Sonata hybrid takes 8 feet longer to come to a stop in a 60 to 0 mile an hour test. A Toyota Camry hybrid takes 12 feet longer. Consumer Reports compared braking distances of those cars to their gasoline-only versions that do not have low rolling resistance tires. CR says you’re better off with a car that stops in a shorter distance even if that means giving up a few miles per gallon

https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids ... 970563268/
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Sick and Tired

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:29 pm LOW ROLLING RESISTANCE TIRES HAVE LONGER BRAKING DISTANCES - Autoline Daily
Tires with low rolling resistance can help hybrids get better fuel economy. But Consumer Reports says using those tires result in longer braking distances. It says the hybrid version of the Chrysler Pacifica takes 9 feet longer and the Hyundai Sonata hybrid takes 8 feet longer to come to a stop in a 60 to 0 mile an hour test. A Toyota Camry hybrid takes 12 feet longer. Consumer Reports compared braking distances of those cars to their gasoline-only versions that do not have low rolling resistance tires. CR says you’re better off with a car that stops in a shorter distance even if that means giving up a few miles per gallon

What if we have a quick change pressure regulator so the tires can be 100 psi low resistance then drop to 25 psi when you slam on the brakes. Ha ha, that is akin to a partial blowout. Never mind, i am just kidding in this whole post. It is technically impossible.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:53 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:29 pm LOW ROLLING RESISTANCE TIRES HAVE LONGER BRAKING DISTANCES - Autoline Daily

What if we have a quick change pressure regulator so the tires can be 100 psi low resistance then drop to 25 psi when you slam on the brakes. Ha ha, that is akin to a partial blowout. Never mind, i am just kidding in this whole post. It is technically impossible.
Carn Drivel magazine used to be really big on SCCA Showroom Stock racing. They would campaign a car through the race season. They would get into tires for the car and run hot laps on various brands and see which ones seemed to give them the best lap times. First thing they did, if I remember, was to shave off most of the tread, so it was still above the wear bars, but they got rid of most of the jiggliness of having deep/tall tread. Then they would start adjusting the air pressure in each tire to see what gave them the best lap times. Typically, they ended up with all the tires in the mid-to-high 30 PSIs. This was back when most passenger cars factory recommendations were in the mid-to-high 20 PSI range. This all depends on the car you choose and the track you perform your tuning on, but in each issue they went a bit more into how to choose a car, how to select the tires, how to tune the tire pressures, .....there really wasn't much else you could legally do in Showroom Stock racing. The best pressures to run in the early laps might not be the best pressures to run considering that tire pressures increase during the race. That's part of what NASCAR teams get into when setting up for a long or short run.

There are some off-highway vehicles that can air-up and air-down their tires to suit the terrain, but it's not a quick transition and it's a maintenance headache compared to the simple valve stem/Shrader valve combo.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tyres vary butt these supposedly long-lasting nokian entyre c/s are lacking in the wet traction department. they are supposedly good whiff snow but vamos a ver...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Yanno, serious skiers pay a lot of attention to the snow, the temperature, and where the temperature is going before they decide what wax to apply to their skis. It really is like that with tires - if you have ice and it's bitter cold, or you have ice and it's warming, or if you have hard-packed snow, or if you have loose powdery snow, or if you have dew , or if you have 1/2 yinch of reign per hour, or DOG forbid, dry roads (Butt what temperature?) oui godda tyre four Hugh, just not the same tire will be best in all those conditions. When you come in for your pit-stop at the half-way to work mark, wheel cheng-m-up for what the road will be like during the 2nd half of ewer commute.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

End doughn’t fore get to lube yer joints end top off yer oiler :D
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:14 am Yanno, serious skiers pay a lot of attention to the snow, the temperature, and where the temperature is going before they decide what wax to apply to their skis. It really is like that with tires - if you have ice and it's bitter cold, or you have ice and it's warming, or if you have hard-packed snow, or if you have loose powdery snow, or if you have dew , or if you have 1/2 yinch of reign per hour, or DOG forbid, dry roads (Butt what temperature?) oui godda tyre four Hugh, just not the same tire will be best in all those conditions. When you come in for your pit-stop at the half-way to work mark, wheel cheng-m-up for what the road will be like during the 2nd half of ewer commute.
Get an AWD and put a diffeent tire on each wheel hoping to cover all conditions.

So I heard tall skinnies are good for deep snow as far as not getting stuck, but fat balloons are better for deep sand. A slick is best for perfectly smooth, clean and dry pavement, but massive chunk treads are better for mud. Soft rubber has better traction and stopping on dry pavement.

Where does tire pressure flip the curve so that low pressure on harder rubber is better than too high pressure on softer rubber. Contact patch may come into play here if the soft rubber is pumped up so high that the contact patch is too small.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

first "real" (as in really sticking) snow on way to work tonight and not sure what to think of how the silver fox did. eye made it without any drama, eye'll give 'em that, but eye still didn't feel confident going faster than the speed limit, especially on curves. it was maybe a quarter inch in places if that of snow, so not sure what will happen with more. guess eye'll have to wait to see how he handles the real snow.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Sew, our ewe by ink tyres soe U woned get stuck in a snow drift, or so you can run the fastest lap times on an snowy road?

F N There optimized for snow drifts, U mite knead to keap you're spedes down everywhere elves.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:02 pm Sew, our ewe by ink tyres soe U woned get stuck in a snow drift, or so you can run the fastest lap times on an snowy road?

F N There optimized for snow drifts, U mite knead to keap you're spedes down everywhere elves.
didn't really get to test either munch. half inch of snow doesn't make things that hard, but the way the car sometimes feels like it's floating is disconcerting. the tires are fairly new so not really up for replacing them this soon. eye'm probably pair a Noid, but the winter tires on the past cars seams to halve spoilt me a bit.