Plastic Pan Under Engine Bay

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Plastic Pan Under Engine Bay

Post by ClutchFork »

So, why do they put this plastic pan under the engine bay? Makes it kind of hard to inspect the undercarriage. I heard it was for improved fuel mileage.

My 2008 Mazda 5 2.3L has this shield. It also has an oil cooler. My 2001 Ranger had the 2.3L, no shield, and no oil cooler. Could it be that the oil cooler was added because the shield resulted in higher temperatures in the engine compartment?

What happens if I remove the shield and remove the oil cooler?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Plastic Pan Under Engine Bay

Post by potownrob »

i always pictured it as protecting things, without ever really thinking about it, but the mpg thing sounds like a better reason. i've heard of people taking that covering off, along with heat shields under exhaust piping etc., but never removing oil coolers. maybe rope will chime in? :o
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

As my oil cooler housing is leaking, it will need to be replaced. That is a good time I should convert to the spin on filter. Up is to the left.

Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Number one reason for a Belly-Pan is to reduce aerodynamic drag.

Yes, Belly-Pans may result in higher under-hood temperatures and oil coolers might need to be added to mitigate this concern.

"To improve Cd, designers may make the following changes:

Round the edges of the front end
Tune the grille and fascia openings
Tune the wheel openings
Place spats (small spoilers) in front of the tires to reduce turbulence
Tune the size and shape of the outside mirrors and their attachment arms
Reshape the water channel on the A-pillars
Adjust the front fascia and air dam to reduce drag under the vehicle
Add side skirts
Tune the deck height, length and edge radius
Install a rear spoiler
Adjust the angle of the rear window
Tuck up the exhaust system
Use a diffuser to tune air coming off the underside
Install "belly pans," underbody panels that cover components and smooth airflow"

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/im ... onomy.html

You'll also see Active Grill Shutters on some vehicles, so underhood airflow is minimized unless engine cooling needs demand more airflow.

"A wonderful bird is the pelican,
His bill will hold more than his belican,
He can take in his beak
Enough food for a week
But I'm damned if I see how the helican!"
- Dixon Lanier Merritt
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Even without the pan that's a tighter engine compartment than a Ranger. I definitely would not assume removing the pan would add enough airflow to warrant removing any coolers. It might even be counterproductive depending on how carefully the intended airflow path was tuned.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

From my recollection, the ranger was tight, but this Mazda 5 is not bad. There is a lot of room between the engine and the firewall. It really does looks like a spacious engine bay by today's standards. I find that if a V6 will fit, the 4 banger ought to have some extra space around it.

Anyway, ClutchDisk took the plastic pan off his 2009 Mazda 5 and is getting excellent mileage (around 34 mpg last tank) and no issues with heat. He also has the 2.3. Actually I am the one who removed his pan, at his request.

Just removed the pan from wifes 2008 Mazda 5 and found the tranny pan was pretty rusty. Would not have known with the shield in place. So in some respects the shield can cause problems by obscuring visibility of engine components.

Both my and ClutchDisk's shields were partly zip tied on. One thing for sure, with the shield removed I won't have it come loose and jam up under the car while driving.
Stick shiftin since '77