Slaves

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Slaves

Post by ClutchFork »

watkins wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:59 am The ease of transmission removal is entirely dependent upon the vehicle and transmission in question. Neither are manuals, but an RT minivan with a 62TE is a hell of a lot faster to pull than a WK2 with an eight speed; even in the rare RWD configuration.
If it is coming out the bottom on a front driver, I can see that there must be suspension components in the way, where on a rear drive the exhaust may be in the way. The only time I ever pulled a tranny was my 1984 F150 and there was nothing in the way. With these modern cram-packted cars, anything is a pain to get at. My 2001 Ranger was supposed to have to have the intake manifold removed just to change out the PCV valve. I could see teh valve with a mirror, but could not manage to get in there to replace it.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

We should probably get with the times and refer to them as "Enslaved Hydraulic Cylinders".
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:04 pm We should probably get with the times and refer to them as "Enslaved Hydraulic Cylinders".
I would argue that the enslaved hydraulic cylinders are the ones inside the bell housing (concentric), and my plea would be to free the enslaved hydraulic cylinders, let them sit outside and get some fresh air. After all we freed the hydraulic slaves from confinement in brake drums some time ago (what car still has brake drums these days?). We must be consistent. Free them all.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...