Let's talk about dual mass flywheels

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Let's talk about dual mass flywheels

Post by Shadow »

So I'm guessing that most or at least some of the people here have at least heard of dual mass flywheels. Maybe some of you even have advanced knowledge about them. But my question is this---do you know if the car you drive now or the cars you've owned in the past used a dual mass flywheel?

I was surprised to find out that my old E36 M3 (99 model year) had a dual mass flywheel from the factory. It started me thinking about even older cars that I've owned and whether or not they had a dual mass flywheels. I know my old 5.0 Mustangs didn't have dual mass, but there are cars that I'm not quite sure, like the 1st generation Talon/Eclipse or even my second generation Mazda MX-6.

I did recently upgrade to a stronger clutch in my Audi and made the decision to retain the dual mass flywheel by installing a new OEM unit along with the upgrade disc and pressure plate, but that's another story entirely.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Let's talk about dual mass flywheels

Post by potownrob »

haha, this is one thing i can easily admit eye know almost nothing aboot. maybe rope will chime in (where you at rope?). whenever i hear dual mass flywheel, i think of dual clutch transmissions, to give you an idea. :? :arrow: :mrgreen:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:45 am haha, this is one thing i can easily admit eye know almost nothing aboot. maybe rope will chime in (where you at rope?). whenever i hear dual mass flywheel, i think of dual clutch transmissions, to give you an idea. :? :arrow: :mrgreen:
My Jeep DOES have a DMF.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

All three of my manuals do, unless the Ram was converted by a previous owner. It's definitely an aftermarket clutch and I haven't been into it yet.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

I don't think my older Hondas did. But I know the Volvo and the VW did. I'd be curious to drive the same car back to back one with a dmf and one without to see what the differences are.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

P.S. BK, time to change your profile info and maybe avatar too :lol: :arrow: :mrgreen: