Bk's new car

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Bk's new car

Post by bk7794 »

I rescued a car from the junkyard to replace the VW.

A 2004 Accord 4 Cylinder. I must admit, it feels good to be back in a Honda. This thing is amazing to drive. The engine/transmission combo is spot on, the engine pulls strong and the shiftier has a decent throw for being cable actuated. The only bad part is the paint. It's black and has the typical clear coat peel. So that's on the list of things to address...
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Bk's new car

Post by Stelcom66 »

Good choice. Sounds like a newer version of my 1999 Accord 5MT. The only regret I have is I wish I got a Gen 7 like yours with the 2.4L engine with the timing chain. My 2.3L has a belt, and I don't know when it was changed. I should just get it replaced.

Like yours, it feels good, and is black. Unlike yours, I don't have the clear coat peel which is very common. I do believe the car was repainted. My shifter occasionally has trouble going into first gear, right now not a big deal. The one you bought was destined for the junkyard? It replaced your 2012 VW?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

HOWE'D EYE MISS DIS FRED?!?! :shock: :o :evil:

congrats on the accord, bk. i know we talked a little aboot it, but didn't realize it was a junkyard car, or whatever you mean by that. did you trade the passat for it, or was that a separate transaction? time to upgrade your signature and car info. look forward to driving the accord, and maybe i'll still have the altima for a while for you to drive. i guarantee you the accord shifts better though. as for 6th vs. 7th gen, i found the 6th gen seats to be more comfy and the ride smoother, like it was trying to be a luxury car, while the 7th gen had stiffer (in some ways better) seats and stiffer ride, at least the ones i've driven. 7th gen is definitely more powerful.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Stelcom66 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:43 pm Good choice. Sounds like a newer version of my 1999 Accord 5MT. The only regret I have is I wish I got a Gen 7 like yours with the 2.4L engine with the timing chain. My 2.3L has a belt, and I don't know when it was changed. I should just get it replaced.

Like yours, it feels good, and is black. Unlike yours, I don't have the clear coat peel which is very common. I do believe the car was repainted. My shifter occasionally has trouble going into first gear, right now not a big deal. The one you bought was destined for the junkyard? It replaced your 2012 VW?
The timing chain is a nice bonus. I don't have too much experience with the F23s in the Accord.

My project is to try to go as far as I can with a rattle can. Even if it doesn't look perfect. Who cares. As long as it looks better.

Do you know if you have a cable or rod shifter? This replaced the 2012 VW as a DD.
potownrob wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:02 am HOWE'D EYE MISS DIS FRED?!?! :shock: :o :evil:

congrats on the accord, bk. i know we talked a little aboot it, but didn't realize it was a junkyard car, or whatever you mean by that. did you trade the passat for it, or was that a separate transaction? time to upgrade your signature and car info. look forward to driving the accord, and maybe i'll still have the altima for a while for you to drive. i guarantee you the accord shifts better though. as for 6th vs. 7th gen, i found the 6th gen seats to be more comfy and the ride smoother, like it was trying to be a luxury car, while the 7th gen had stiffer (in some ways better) seats and stiffer ride, at least the ones i've driven. 7th gen is definitely more powerful.
I must say, I love the seats in mine. Took it on a long drive twice in one week. Never got tired of the seats.

The shifter is I'd say about the same, if not a bit better than the Passat. The clutch is miles better with the bigger pedal box and all.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Pretty sure the 6th gens had a cable shifter; 5th gen definitely did...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

I will refer to potownrob's post re: a cable shifter as I don't know.

Many 7th gen and even 6th gen Accords are likely daily drivers as many are still on the road.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Stelcom66 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:06 pm I will refer to potownrob's post re: a cable shifter as I don't know.

Many 7th gen and even 6th gen Accords are likely daily drivers as many are still on the road.
if you don’t feel the shifter vibrating while the engine is running, it’s usually a cable linkage shifter, at least in my experience. My 94 Civic had a rod linkage and you could feel it, especially with the shifter in neutral.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:19 pm
Stelcom66 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:06 pm I will refer to potownrob's post re: a cable shifter as I don't know.

if you don’t feel the shifter vibrating while the engine is running, it’s usually a cable linkage shifter, at least in my experience. My 94 Civic had a rod linkage and you could feel it, especially with the shifter in neutral.

Interesting observation!
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

Based on that interesting and likely accurate observation I think the last vehicles I had with rod linkages were the Ford van and Dodge truck, prior to that a 1979 Saab.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Stelcom66 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:21 pm
Based on that interesting and likely accurate observation I think the last vehicles I had with rod linkages were the Ford van and Dodge truck, prior to that a 1979 Saab.
yeah, that civic may have been the last rod linkage shifter i operated, unless my 02 impreza had the rod too; i can't remember (other than the impreza being a little awkward to shift, probably due to the awd system). i do remember the civic shifting feeling different from the accord, more mechanical and connected.

edit: i am pretty sure my 98 maxima (which replaced the civic and preceded the 96 accord and 02 impreza) also had a rod linkage. i mainly just remember the shift gates being closer together and the clutch being much harder to get right, more of an on/off switch compared to the hondas' neverending engagement zones...