2001 S10 2.2L engine cuts out on freeway

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
IMBoring25

Re: 2001 S10 2.2L engine cuts out on freeway

Post by IMBoring25 »

Could be related. I had an evap system code and an intermittent miss on my Grand Marquis. I replaced the part in question and it took a while to clear but all is well again.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

If the CEL is on, you have codes. If you have codes, you have something to go off of. It may not be directly related, but one system often impacts others in ways only engineers can explain.

Pull the codes.

Either way, it sounds like your shop is playing Parts Darts.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

watkins wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:41 pm If the CEL is on, you have codes. If you have codes, you have something to go off of. It may not be directly related, but one system often impacts others in ways only engineers can explain.

Pull the codes.

Either way, it sounds like your shop is playing Parts Darts.

Nope, shop is not playing parts darts. They did not find any codes, and I don't know if the CEL is on or off as it is covered. I am thinking the evap problem was on the Ford Ranger which I got rid of a few years ago. As for parts darts, I took it in back on Feb for this problem and suggested maybe new plugs and wires. they checked for codes, found none, checked fuel pressure, was good, and changed out the fuel filter, was pretty cologged. They did not change the plugs or wires. I brought it back a couple weeks ago and told them just to do the plugs and wires as it has never had them that I am aware of, so it would not hurt. They changed them.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

ClutchFork wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:22 pm So I got new plugs and wires installed (this apparently had never been done in 153,000 miles). Took a drive about 10 miles today and it still bucks. Fuel filter is new as I mentioned before, and they did test the fuel pressure and it was good. Next up: Throttle position sensor? Crank sensor?
Shortly after the above post, I switched out the fuel pump relay with the horn relay (same part number) and also fixed a minor vacuum leak (would revert to vent under hard acceleration). Drove it about 17 miles the next week and then 8 miles another day, and finally today about 28 miles. It seems cured but for an occasional and very mild feeling of the buck, but not much so. In today's 28 miles I felt that twice, so I would say it is about fixed. At this time it is not even an inconvenience. Besides, until I start driving more (I haven't put fuel in it since the 16th of March!), there is no point trying anything else. I am happy with it for now.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:58 pm
I am happy.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:11 am
ClutchFork wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:58 pm
I am happy.
Fickset
I have to eat a lot more ice cream and KFC to be THAT fat happy!
Stick shiftin since '77
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

So what is it with the fuel pump relay. If all it does is start the pump and then the oil pressure sender takes over, why would the relay cause bucking while driving? Or is it possible the relay actually is in use all the time when the engine is on? But it does seem that switching out the relay is what cured my S-10 of bucking. Been running very good since I did that and today in a 6 mile freeway run with another 4 miles on surface street, there was zero bucking.
Stick shiftin since '77
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Fuel pump relays keep the fuel pump pumping. Oil pressure senders send oil pressure information. No overlap whatsoever.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

watkins wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:44 pm Fuel pump relays keep the fuel pump pumping. Oil pressure senders send oil pressure information. No overlap whatsoever.
Thanks, that is the problem with the internet. I searched and looked at half a dozen sites which all pretty much said this,
"Once the engine is running, the fuel pump relay shuts off. At this point, the electricity for the fuel pump is supplied by the oil pressure sending unit. "

Lo and behold, from what you said, Wikipedia makes a lot more sense (my addition in brackets),
"The ignition switch does not carry the power to the fuel pump; instead, it activates a relay which will handle the higher current load [required of the fuel pump]. It is common for the fuel pump relay to become oxidized and cease functioning; this is much more common than the actual fuel pump failing."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_pump

In hindsight, looking into basic function of relays would have answered the question a lot quicker.
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I was expecting to see a new post subject: "2001 S10 2.2L horn cuts out on freeway"
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:23 pm I was expecting to see a new post subject: "2001 S10 2.2L horn cuts out on freeway"
:lol:
Stick shiftin since '77