Are manual transmission vehicles going to increase in value?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Are manual transmission vehicles going to increase in value?

Post by Shadow »

It's just a thought, but do you think our manual transmission vehicles will start to command a higher resale value (private sale, not dealer trade-in) as fewer and fewer new cars become available with manual transmissions? Or will they simply become a major liability because nobody will want them, resulting in us having to dump them for next to nothing?

BTW, I have no intention at all of selling mine ever. I'll hopefully keep it forever and maybe even add a couple more to the collection.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Are manual transmission vehicles going to increase in value?

Post by Shadow »

Wow...I think this forum is dying more quickly than the manual transmission.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Shadow wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:44 pm It's just a thought, but do you think our manual transmission vehicles will start to command a higher resale value (private sale, not dealer trade-in) as fewer and fewer new cars become available with manual transmissions? Or will they simply become a major liability because nobody will want them, resulting in us having to dump them for next to nothing?

BTW, I have no intention at all of selling mine ever. I'll hopefully keep it forever and maybe even add a couple more to the collection.
i'm leaning toward the latter situation, where they will be more of a liability and overall undesirable. As is pointed out in other forums I've frequented, the enthusiasts who are gung ho manuel are a small minority, despite how things may seem online and at car meats. i'm not saying i'm very happy about it (though i'm not as upset about it as i used to be), but it's something we need to come to terms with.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

potownrob wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:31 am
i'm leaning toward the latter situation, where they will be more of a liability and overall undesirable. As is pointed out in other forums I've frequented, the enthusiasts who are gung ho manuel are a small minority, despite how things may seem online and at car meats. i'm not saying i'm very happy about it (though i'm not as upset about it as i used to be), but it's something we need to come to terms with.
Well, for people like us who enjoy driving manual transmissions, the day will eventually come when buying a new car with a manual is no longer an option. So in that case, it might drive up the price of used cars that have manual transmissions. Sure, it's a niche market, but when the supply of manual transmission cars starts to drastically decline, then I do think a nice, well kept example may be able to command a premium price simply because of the transmission.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Prices are a reflection of demand. In a world where kids can get jobs as lot porters without knowing or being taught how to drive a manual, it will take a very special, very rare specimen to even have a chance of trading at a premium.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

It was 2 years ago, the day before Thanksgiving (American), that the deer came bounding across the road and into the path of my vehicle out on I-94. I decided that it was worth ~$2400 of my own money to chip in on top of what my insurance policy payout for "Totalling" the vehicle, towards the repair of my Liberty. My alternative would have been to try to find a replacement vehicle that could replace its abilities and functions. Part of my decision was based on staying with an Amish vehicle and part of it was based on not being able to find a functional replacement at a similar age/mileage, for less money out of my own pocket, whether it was Amish or not.

I guess my point is, blue book value be damned, the vehicle is worth whatever it would take to pry it out of the owner's hands.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I'm not sure if any of you subscribe to VINwiki YouTube channel. If you like cool car stories, definitely check it out. Anyway, the founder of VINwiki (it's an app, the YouTube channel just supports the app for the most part) is big on supercars and hypercars. He owns several and he used to be a sales manager selling them. He has explained in his videos that supercars with manual transmissions will usually appreciate over time due to the people who buy them used. Of course that's also due to the declining availability of them and the demand for them. Those kinds of cars are a niche market already, so it shouldn't be surprising that a large part of that niche market desires manual transmissions in the used car market as well.

Here's a great video that explains it in detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwzYuReq6Go
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

I've noticed that a few models, BRZ, Corvette, Miata..etc. the manual always has a higher price than their Auto counterparts. This is obviously on the used market. e
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed