Where have all the Pump Jockeys gone?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Where have all the Pump Jockeys gone?

Post by ClutchFork »

In Michigan anyway, there seem to be no pump jockeys. I feel honored to be one of the last pump jockeys as I served in the 1970s and I think they disappeared soon after. I even got to man the "island" during the oil embargo when we had a $5 limit on gas and cars were lined out the drive and down the street. I was on the island all day with a huge cash wad building up in my pocket. We even got our own uniforms and they washed them for us, which was badly needed after a grease gun fight! :twisted:

Anyway, the reason for this post is that there seem to be no jockeys to pump our gas these days. I found a list of stations that will pump for handicapped but you need an official handicapped hang tag. http://www.thepumpguide.com/

So, anybody know of some full serve stations in the southeast Michigan area? Particularly interested in Livonia, Westland, Canton, Plymouth Township areas.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Where have all the Pump Jockeys gone?

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I believe they were all randomly picked as targets by psychopathic murderers. Some were killed and some escaped by joining travelling carnivals.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcwz8-EfFYE[/youtube]

I think the change to self-serve gas pumping was a means of somewhat softening the sudden gasoline price hike after OPEC raised oil prices.

There were some places - Oregon was one, that didn't allow self-service until fairly recently.

When I have friends come up from Mexico to Michigan on business trips, I have to show them how to pump and purchase gasoline for their rental cars. In Mexico, labor is cheap enough that pump jockeys are still the norm....(Well, OK, I doubt there is even one pump jockey in Mexico named Norm, but "Jose", "Hose B", and "Hey Zeus!" are popular names.)
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

There is also a safety factor when the credit card is validated electronically. (Anybody remember having their card checked against the printed list of "Bad" cards?)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oddGafuCPTI[/youtube]

There was also, believe it or not, pressure from churches for the elimination of pump jockeys.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCJx1uV38ZQ[/youtube]
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Full service stations just take too damn long. I want to get my gas and go. I do not want to have to explain that I do not want my tank topped off or my cost rounded up. Honestly, I dont want to talk to a person at all.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:12 pm Full service stations just take too damn long. I want to get my gas and go. I do not want to have to explain that I do not want my tank topped off or my cost rounded up. Honestly, I dont want to talk to a person at all.
See?....More good reasons pump jockeys have dismounted and put their saddles in long-term storage!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Aren't there still full service stations in New Jersey as a matter of policy?

I've never seen one in Minnesota. Then again I'm only 31.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:34 pm Aren't there still full service stations in New Jersey as a matter of policy?

unforgutnately yes but, as someone mentioned below, they are a pain in the rear and you end up waiting for them to come back and overfill your tank. the silver lining is that gas in NJ is cheap (compared to NY at least), oh and QuickChek FTW!!!! :twisted: there are VERY few full service stations left in NY, at least that i've found. i am always shocked and appalled when i come across one. you might think it would be nice to sit in your car while someone else pumps your gas, but we are actually spoilt by being able to pump our own gas and the many freedoms that come along with that privilege. being able to pump your gas, lock and leave your car to get your quickchek subs, iced coffee, cigarettes and whoopee pie (and use the bathroom of course), is a freedom to behold. MURICA!!
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:12 pm Full service stations just take too damn long. I want to get my gas and go. I do not want to have to explain that I do not want my tank topped off or my cost rounded up. Honestly, I dont want to talk to a person at all.
CAN EYE GET AN AMEN BROTHER!!!! :evil:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

One, or Two, might even suppose that the extinction of Pump Jockeys is the reason why automobiles now have tire inflation monitoring systems.

Back in the days of yore, when the Pump Jockey checked your vehicle's oil level, took a glance at the condition of the accessory drive belts, maybe looked at the air cleaner filter and the cooling system hoses, checked the condition of the windshield wiper blades, clean the windows, check the tire for wear, AND-DUH check the tire inflation pressure.

Most vehicle owners don't check these things on their own now, like they ought to.

Out of all these no-longer monitored items, underinflated tires have the most likelihood for causing serious accidents.

IFSO FATSO, in So-Be-It Amerika, your car tire check eets pressure for YOU!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

potownrob wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:24 am
tankinbeans wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:34 pm Aren't there still full service stations in New Jersey as a matter of policy?

unforgutnately yes but, as someone mentioned below, they are a pain in the rear and you end up waiting for them to come back and overfill your tank. the silver lining is that gas in NJ is cheap (compared to NY at least), oh and QuickChek FTW!!!! :twisted: there are VERY few full service stations left in NY, at least that i've found. i am always shocked and appalled when i come across one. you might think it would be nice to sit in your car while someone else pumps your gas, but we are actually spoilt by being able to pump our own gas and the many freedoms that come along with that privilege. being able to pump your gas, lock and leave your car to get your quickchek subs, iced coffee, cigarettes and whoopee pie (and use the bathroom of course), is a freedom to behold. MURICA!!
That's really inconsiderate unless there's massive excess capacity. It's not that hard to clear the pump and go park in front of the store. Worse if you're standing in line for lottery tickets or blocking a diesel pump, especially with a gas car.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

IMBoring25 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:55 pm
potownrob wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:24 am

That's really inconsiderate unless there's massive excess capacity. It's not that hard to clear the pump and go park in front of the store. Worse if you're standing in line for lottery tickets or blocking a diesel pump, especially with a gas car.
Welcome to
NY

I’m actually talking about gas stations with 18-24 pumps. During non-peak times when I’m usually there, there’s little chance of all or even most of the pumps being taken at once. The NJ quickcheks mostly don’t have as many pumps as the upstate NY ones, and I usually end up pulling up to the front after getting overfilled with gas, unless there’s more than one of us in the car, then one or two can go in while the other watches the car.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:05 am There is also a safety factor when the credit card is validated electronically. (Anybody remember having their card checked against the printed list of "Bad" cards?)
One station I worked at required I check every card. I don't think all bad cards were on the list because it was hard copy back in the day and so did not pick up recent bad cards. Anyway, my boss docked me about nine dollars (at $2.00 an hour) for taking a bad card. He gave me the receipt and the address and told me I can go collect the money. Ha! What a rotten deal. I later was fired by that same boss (rightly so, for other stuff).

I also had my share of weirdos come in for fuel and other reasons, as well as a few weirdos that were hired to work alongside me.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...