If ..........., You Just Might Be Drivin' an Electric

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: If ..........., You Just Might Be Drivin' an Electric

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If your vehicle has TWO (2) filler doors, but only 1 BIG "Tank",.....

GM PATENTS DUAL CHARGING PORT FOR EVs - Autoline Daily
Speaking of GM, it filed a patent for a dual port charging outlet for electric vehicles. The first port can handle either low- or high-voltage charging, while the second only does low-voltage. So, the vehicle could take high- and low-voltage charging at the same time or low- and low-voltage charging, depending on what the station can put out. This is meant to speed up charging times and would be great for GM’s Ultium vehicles that use its large battery pack, which is essentially two battery packs sandwiched together.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/05/gm ... m-for-evs/
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Ridiculous. Nothing innovative about that, and no expensive time in the lab to discover the operating principle. Obvious to a four-year-old. That should be laughed out of the patent office.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:06 am Ridiculous. Nothing innovative about that, and no expensive time in the lab to discover the operating principle. Obvious to a four-year-old. That should be laughed out of the patent office.
I used to think that only profound ideas are patented.

Then, I came across simple ideas that I had "Invented", but found that someone else had patented them.

That's when my thinking about patents began to change.

After going through the process, I now know that for patents issued in the name of a big corporation, almost anyone involved with the idea is listed on the patent. I had thought that it was only the actual person or small group of people that conceived of it. No, the person(s) that made a formal drawing of the inventors sketch, any and all supervisors, managers, etc. of "The Team",.....I'm surprised that the lunch ladies in the corporate cafeteria were not included.

Now, when I see that someone has hunnertz of patents to their name, I don't assume that those ideas were all the brain-farts of that particular person.

Corporations like to lock up ideas to prevent their use by competitors. There was a guy named George Selden that patented the concept of the automobile in 1895 and he made some money on it for a while:

" Henry Ford, owner of the Ford Motor Company, founded in Detroit, Michigan, in 1903, and four other car makers resolved to contest the patent infringement suit filed by Selden and EVC. The legal fight lasted eight years, generating a case record of 14,000 pages. Ford's testimony included the comment, "It is perfectly safe to say that George Selden has never advanced the automobile industry in a single particular...and it would perhaps be further advanced than it is now if he had never been born."[6]

The 1906 Krebs testimony in the Selden case
The case was heavily publicized in the newspapers of the day, and ended in a victory for Selden. In his decision, the judge wrote that the patent covered any automobile propelled by an engine powered by gasoline vapor. Posting a bond of US$350,000, Ford appealed, and on January 10, 1911, won his case based on an argument that the engine used in automobiles was not based on George Brayton's engine, the Brayton engine which Selden had improved, but on the Otto engine.

This stunning defeat, with only one year left to run on the patent, destroyed Selden's income stream."
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If a comparable ICE vehicle from the manufacturers line-up costs $25-27,000 less,.....

FORD’S FARLEY PREDICTS EV PRICE WARS - From Autoline Daily
Ford CEO Jim Farley says it costs $25,000 to $27,000 more to build a Mustang Mach-E than a Ford Edge with an ICE engine. But he also predicts that the cost of electric cars will drop dramatically with clean sheet BEV designs. In fact, he predicts that around 2026 the auto industry will be consumed by a price war over electric cars that cost $25,000. Farley spoke at a conference organized by Bernstein, the financial management company. Here are some of the other highlights:

· Farley predicts there will be a lot of industry consolidation amongst traditional automakers, EV startups and automotive suppliers. He thinks there will be more buyouts than joint ventures.

· Ford is going to build an electric, special built vehicle for Uber and Lyft drivers and other ride hailing services. It will be designed for the lowest operating costs. And it will have a lot of ADAS technology so it has the lowest insurance costs. Instead of selling them, Ford will offer them on a per-mile or on a daily or weekly basis.

· He said using the franchise dealer way of selling vehicles adds $2,000 to $3,000 the cost compared to Tesla, and that advertising adds another $600 to $700 per vehicle.

· LFP, or lithium iron phosphate batteries are 20% cheaper than NMC, or nickel, manganese, cobalt batteries. That’s about $2,000 cheaper for a battery pack.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/451579 ... -decisions
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If the battery in your new electric vehicle contains no vacuum tubes,.......

SOLID STATE BATTERY ANOTHER STEP CLOSER- Autoline Daily
They say that solid state batteries will be the killer app for EVs. And while they’re still years away from mass production, they are making progress. Solid Power, which is developing solid state batteries, says it will ship its first pre-production battery cells to Ford and BMW by the end of the year so they can perform validation tests. Solid Power says it has enough pilot production capacity to make prototype cells for other automakers, but it wants to develop the batteries, not make them. It’s looking for a partner to build the cells as early as 2026 and says SK Innovation is one potential partner. For more info about Solid Power, check out our Autoline Exclusives interview with Doug Campbell the CEO of the company. We’ll provide a link in the transcript or description box below.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos- ... 022-06-06/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If your "Get Up and Go" must have "Got Up and Went",.....

"JUST ADD BATTERIES!"

MAGNA’S BOLT-IN EV PICKUP CONVERSION - Autoline Daily
Magna is making it easy for any pickup truck maker that wants to convert to electric. All an automaker has to do is pull out the conventional IC powertrain, bolt Magna’s e-beam axle onto the rear suspension, and add a battery pack. The e-beam provides 335 horsepower and 7,375-pound feet of torque, as well as 14,500 pounds of towing and 0-60 times of only 4.6 seconds. And it will turn a 13.7 second quarter mile time at 99 miles an hour. It fits right in where the conventional axle goes, so there’s no need for any architectural modifications.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If your tires pollute more than your non-existent tailpipe,......

Worn-out tires produce about 1850 times more particles than do vehicle tailpipes, according to research done by UK researchers Emission Analytics.

Driving style, vehicle weight, and tire compound have the most significant effects on the levels of particle emissions, with some tires being more prone to polluting wear patterns.

Microplastic pollutants such as tire particles generally end up in waterways and soil, and the long-term environmental and human health effects of such emissions aren't fully known.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry- ... %20Openers
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

knot shore wut two make off the last phew posts inn hier... :shock: :arrow: :? :idea:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:36 am knot shore wut two make off the last phew posts inn hier... :shock: :arrow: :? :idea:
Eye thank id wuss trine touche that BEVs goin' 0-60 mph in nanoseconds (OK, a hole lotta nanoseconds) our leaving a lot of particulate pollution, in the form of tire dust, thus not so clean as they thank they is.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Wuss sent reefer ring too dat post…
:| :arrow: :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

You say that like activists getting wrapped around the axle on the negative aspects of the status quo and demanding changes that turn out to be net harmful is something new.

As but one example, the plastic bags now viewed as a scourge on the world by environmentalists were forced into near-universal adoption...By environmentalists. They were concerned about deforestation at the time, but rather than advocate for sustainable forestry practices, they had a "better" idea at the consumer level.

To review, the status quo was a durable product that was adequate for its intended purpose with limited reusability in that intended purpose. When exhausted, they could be used for school book covers or containers for other trash and recyclables, without conditions, helping to keep other, more harmful products in the waste stream and out of the general environment. Clean? Recyclable. Dirty? Compostable. Out of the waste stream? Harmlessly biodegradable.

Their demanded replacement? Tears if you look at it wrong. If it survives its first use, basically the only other thing you can do with it is trash bags, which means you're putting them in the trash instead of recycling. They can't be used as recycling bags because they're not allowed in mixed recyclables because they jam the sorting equipment. Not compostable, not biodegradable, a giant mess out of the waste stream. In theory they are recyclable, but not in mixed recyclables and it's hard to find someplace to do it because it's so expensive to recycle them and so cheap to make new ones. To top it all off, they're petroleum-based.

Spill-proof gas cans we're forced to use that anyone who's ever tried to use one knows lead you to put more gas on the ground than in the tank...

Energy-efficiency standards for dishwashers that effectively mandate rinse aid to allow the newer units to actually wash dishes properly, contaminating water supplies and adding to plastic waste...

I could go on.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Please do. I've got a bag of freshly-popped corn...a paper bag!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If you're hopin' a similar miracle in the realm of recycling materials occurs with your BEV ,......

LEAD IN 12v BATTERIES 50-60 YEARS OLD - from Autoline Daily
Did you know that virtually every electric car comes with a 12-volt lead acid battery? That’s because when you charge an EV, the traction batteries are disconnected from the car for safety reasons. But you still need electricity to run the accessories, or even handle over-the-air updates. Clarios is the largest lead acid battery maker in the world. It used to be part of Johnson Controls. Yesterday we had Mark Wallace, the CEO of Clarios on Autoline After Hours, and we asked him whether they can get all the raw materials they need to make new batteries by recycling old ones. Here’s what he said.

“That lead acid battery, we can recycle up to 99% of the materials in it and reuse it. There’s nothing like that on the planet, right? It’s the most recycled product in the entire world and we’re the largest recycler of lead in the world as well. So this provides us kind of an entire renewable resource that we can continue putting into new vehicles and new batteries. And there are probably cases in your vehicle today or in an aftermarket battery where the lead can be 50 to 60 years old.”

What an amazing statistic, that the lead in your battery can be 50 to 60 years old. That’s quite a recycling story. Mark Wallace said Clarios can get 80% of all the raw materials it needs from recycling old batteries. And that bodes well for the lithium traction batteries in EVs. In the future, automakers may be able to get most of the raw materials they need from recycling, and cut way back on mining them.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If you're thinkin' that saving a portion of the weight of your 12 V battery is going to make a significant increase in your driving range,.......

CLARIOS DEVELOPS LOW-VOLTAGE LITHIUM BATTERY - Autoline Daily
Most electric cars still use a lead acid battery for all their low voltage requirements. That’s because they’re far less expensive than a lithium battery. But they’re heavy, which hurts EV range. Now a company called Clarios developed what it calls an absorbent glass mat so that it can make low-cost lithium batteries for low voltage applications. And we’ll have Mark Wallace, the CEO of Clarios on Autoline After Hours this Thursday to explain why every electric car will probably start using it.

I think the 12 V (OK, OK, As much as 13.2 no-load volts!) battery in my Jeep weighs around 38 Lbs. That's probably more than the weight of 12 V batteries found in BEVs. Even if a replacement lithium-based 12 V battery were to weigh 38 Lbs less, these BEVs aint lightweight vehicles. The weight reduction on a % basis would be miniscule.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If you wait too long to buy your Hellcat Durango,........

LAST CALL FOR DODGE PISTON POWER - Autoline Daily
The piston powered versions of the Dodge Charger and Challenger are going away for good next year, and Dodge is sending them off in a blaze of glory. It’s teasing 7 special-edition models at the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit this week. Six of them connect to iconic Dodge models of the past, the 7th will be unveiled at the SEMA show in Las Vegas this November. It’s also offering a rainbow of heritage colors, an expansion of SRT Jailbreak models, a commemorative “Last Call” under hood plaque for all 2023 Charger and Challenger vehicles and a new vehicle allocation process. Last Call means just that. This is the last chance anyone will have to buy a new Charger or Challenger with a piston engine under the hood.

Call me a Luddite, but I see a lot of barriers in switching over all automobile sales to BEVs, including electrical grid capacity, material availability, cold climates, long driving distances, and lack of personal charging stations (especially for multi-vehicle families and apartment dwellers). I'm not saying they're going to make Hemi Challengers for another 5 years, but I think they'll more likely make some kinda Hybrid available than commit to full BEV production.

https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.co ... 24058&mid=