Watkins' other Saab

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Watkins' other Saab

Post by watkins »

Due the the whole photobucket debacle, Ive been too lazy to make this post. Last May(!!) I bought a second crappy old Saab in the form of a 2008 9-5 Aero wagon. Low miles, good service history, and a crappy beat up body.

This is how I bought it

Since then, I have:
-Added the optional rear spoiler
-Coated the roof for a variety of reasons
-Installed a hitch with a seven-way connector
-Had the windows tinted
-Installed a set of fully adjustable D2 coilovers which required rolling the rear fenders
-Upgraded wheels and tires
Had a full custom stainless exhaust built with some special secrets
-Nearly finished a custom replacement for the front bumper

Here is how is (mostly) sits now, with the trailer because obviously

Last edited by watkins on Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Watkins' other Saab

Post by tankinbeans »

It took me several seconds to realize 08 is 10 years ago and well within the realm ot being old and crappy, possibly even hoopdelicious.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Looks like a minus sign inside a dot.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:06 pm Looks like a minus sign inside a dot.
Well damn. Must be a cookies thing. Onward to the next photo hosting site I go, I suppose
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Dig the kayaks on the roof. I'd have a canoe now if I had a place to store it. Alas, I do not.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

wait, so you still have blue balls? eye was under the assumption you got rid of blue balls when you got black balls. where's the requisite dash and shifter shot?? how does the room compare??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

AHTOXA wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:08 pm Dig the kayaks on the roof. I'd have a canoe now if I had a place to store it. Alas, I do not.
My 14' canoe is too wide for the racks and too obnoxious to lift that high, so it goes on the trailer if I ever pull it out. Honestly I prefer the kayaks.
potownrob wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:39 am wait, so you still have blue balls? eye was under the assumption you got rid of blue balls when you got black balls. where's the requisite dash and shifter shot?? how does the room compare??
Viggen hasn't gone anywhere (yet?). Next year will be ten years of ownership, so I want to keep it. Its way up there in mileage at 213k, and has a few problems that I don't feel like fixing, and really cant with my current job. The wife wants a Wrangler, so Ive been thinking of selling it to help fund a JL. With her 70 mile round trip commute, she really needs to keep her Mazda2 for the 32mpg or better she gets and we don't need to be a four car household for just two of us.

As for the room, its weird. The front seat feels tighter just because of the seating position being lower in the vehicle, though the actual room isn't any less. The rear seats are far larger and as this is the first car Ive ever owned with four doors, much easier to get in to. The trunk is deceptive. The load floor is flat, unlike the several inch drop in the Viggen. With the rear seats down I have just shy of six feet of level surface to load, which is nice for lumber and stuff of that nature. However, the higher floor means that my overall useable trunk height is drastically reduced. For example, my cooler cant be opened fully in the car. I also had to ditch the privacy cover thing because nothing really fits under it.

Heres the best dash picture I have for now:

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Her name is Dame Helen Mirren.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I want a canoe so I can have 2 humans + 2 dogs in it.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

tankinbeans wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:42 pm Her name is Dame Helen Mirren.
We in the Saab community refer to these things as Dame Ednas, actually.

So anywho, this is probably the most unusual thing Ive done to the Mom Wagon:

In addition to the 3" downpipe I picked up, I had a full custom stainless exhaust built.

The main pipe to the rear axle and out the tip on the left is a 3" straight pipe. Yes, its obnoxiously loud. Yes, I do occasionally shoot flames. To the right is a reduced diameter 2.25" pipe with two of the most restrictive mufflers the exhaust shop could find that fit. That just dumps under the trunk for simplicity's sake. Due to the seriously tight space this was stuffed in to, I had to get the hitch and coilovers installed before I got the work done

At the rear axle is a set of two electric cutouts. In loud mode, the one on the right pipe is closed, the 3" is open, and BRAP BRAP happens. In what is alternatively known as Wife Mode or Cemetary Mode, the 3" pipe is closed, the muffled pipe is opened, and it sounds rather civil. Its definitely a tad louder than stock, but the biggest difference is in the deeper tone. Everything is operated by a pair of discreet momentary rocker switches just in front of the shifter.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Wow, in olden thymes, weed half bean the frist two no. Now oui here a boat tit from ewer irate neighbors bee four ewe even post the pictures.
It's over, isn't it? This is like when the Vikings all went home and put their longboats up for sale on Craigslist.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:32 amwe don't need to be a four car household for just two of us.
Eh? Why not?

My yard looks like a used car dealer. :lol: Wife's DD, my DD, wife's second car, my second car, pickup truck, yard plow truck (rotting remains of old pickup truck), project vehicle that I'll soon sell, travel trailer, buncha various utility trailers...and if you put them all together, they're worth their weight in scrap steel! (Well, wife's cars are probably worth a little more than that.)
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

theholycow wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:09 am
watkins wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:32 amwe don't need to be a four car household for just two of us.
Eh? Why not?

My yard looks like a used car dealer. :lol: Wife's DD, my DD, wife's second car, my second car, pickup truck, yard plow truck (rotting remains of old pickup truck), project vehicle that I'll soon sell, travel trailer, buncha various utility trailers...and if you put them all together, they're worth their weight in scrap steel! (Well, wife's cars are probably worth a little more than that.)
What's crazy is that utility trailers are crazy expensive here. Doesn't matter if it looks like shit, needs wheel bearings, new deck and wiring is barely hanging on, they are asking 300-400 for them. I thought about getting one to transport the motorcycle if necessary and just in general and didn't mind getting one that needs some work, but I didn't really expect them to be that much cash. Maybe my expectations were out of line...
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Perfect example of what I'm talking about. Looks like shit and "comes with trail lights to be installed". $300 for that??? GTFO.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tro/d ... 30715.html
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

watkins wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:32 am
Viggen hasn't gone anywhere (yet?). Next year will be ten years of ownership, so I want to keep it. Its way up there in mileage at 213k, and has a few problems that I don't feel like fixing, and really cant with my current job. The wife wants a Wrangler, so Ive been thinking of selling it to help fund a JL.
I also want a Wrangler, but I'm leaning the other way - I'll probably buy a cheap 4 cyl YJ with lift and tires and a manual and just use it for play. The 4.0 would be preferable but they are a premium and hard to find for decent money. Basically a decent YJ around here would be 5-7 grand and even then, at 5k most Wranglers here are pretty rough.

I sat in a JL - cannot fit; head hits the roll bar at the lowest seating position. This was weird, because I had more room in the TJ (don't know about JK, never been in one).
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650