comingbackdown's new ride: Don't Dodge it, Ram it!

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

comingbackdown's new ride: Don't Dodge it, Ram it!

Post by comingbackdown »

So I picked this up in early June for a steal. 99 Ram 2500 4x4, 148,xxx miles, 360 motor, reman transmission, came with the plow and a hitch and a spare rear door.

[Image

WHERE'S THE THIRD PEDAL?! Unfortunately I couldn't be too picky. It'll work for now.
At some point the transmission will go or I'll have some spare cash and I'll swap a 6MT into it.

So far I have: Replaced the pads and rotors (which he also sent with the truck)... and both brake calipers, one brake hose, several feet of brake line, etc. Worst brake job I've done by far. Had to go buy a bunch of tools since I didn't have a torque wrench rated that high, or a socket big enough for the axle nut, so on and so forth. New headlights since the original owner massively f*cked them up. One was taking on water, the other was busted and held in place with silicone and expanding foam. Idiots...

To come: She needs new plow lights, wiring harness on existing lights is FUBAR. Same story for the aftermarket fog lights. Rear passenger door won't open. Gonna fix that. Stereo. MY GOD it needs a stereo! CD player doesn't work and the volume control is possessed. Already have the unit, just need the wiring and install kits. Down the line I'll upgrade the speakers and add a sub. Body and paint needs done. Amazingly the underside is clean as shit for a well used plow truck. Also needs a tiny bit of interior work, but not too much.

I got it for next to nothing and it's a major upgrade from my old Dakota. Now I just have to get to work on her and keep her in good shape.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: comingbackdown's new ride: Don't Dodge it, Ram it!

Post by Rope-Pusher »

comingbackdown wrote:Image[/url]
WHERE'S THE THIRD PEDAL?
I see it, I see it! It's just West of the brake pedal. And it even has a shift lever sticking up thru the floor, although there apparently has been some shrinkage. Cold water can cause that. Did it ever get driven into a lake?

There are times when someone can afford to purchase something that they can't afford to own, hence your wiring and lighting issues.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

comingbackdown wrote:At some point the transmission will go or I'll have some spare cash and I'll swap a 6MT into it.
If you do much plowing there's a good chance that it will happen sooner rather than later.

Ah, Meyer plows, the red-headed stepchild of the plow world for no good reason.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Pretty sure anything not Fisher is red-headed.

Id be more worried about the frame folding in half than the transmission letting go
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I've only ever driven a 1500 briefly to help my brother move IIRC it pulled an easy 25 mpg.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

This one probably doesn't do too much better than half that.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

theholycow wrote:
comingbackdown wrote:At some point the transmission will go or I'll have some spare cash and I'll swap a 6MT into it.
If you do much plowing there's a good chance that it will happen sooner rather than later.
That would be why it has a reman transmission in it in the first place. Most of its life it was used basically for plowing. Guy I bought it from, that's all he used it for was plowing driveways on his road. He did a lot of fixing and took good care of it. He's a retired Chrysler tech, so he's a bit picky about taking care of them. A lot of the damage was caused by the idiots who had it before him. Whatever hack at the country club worked on it needs to never touch a vehicle again. Instead of properly wiring the plow lights, they snipped off the headlight plugs and wired the plow lamps up instead. Aside from that most of the splicing was done with wire nuts and electrical tape, and not all of them even got that much.

watkins wrote:Pretty sure anything not Fisher is red-headed.

Id be more worried about the frame folding in half than the transmission letting go
Any known issues with the frame on these? There's actually still paint on the bottom of the frame. She's seen some use but has been well taken care of.

tankinbeans wrote:I've only ever driven a 1500 briefly to help my brother move IIRC it pulled an easy 25 mpg.
I'm guessing said 1500 had a 318 or something smaller in it?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OH GOD, my ribs! Not on your life, man.
I'm driving it around town like an old man and getting a hair under ten miles per gallon.
Once I do some playing around with the air intake and ignition components that might improve, but not as it is now.
The exhaust is already not quite stock. If I wind up putting a good intake on it, I might take her to a shop that I trust and have him make it easier for her to breathe exhaust wise. Sounds nice as is though.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I borrowed it from a friend so it's no skin off my ass. Nice enough rig for what it was.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:I borrowed it from a friend so it's no skin off my ass. Nice enough rig for what it was.
The newer ones with smaller engines might be able to pull 20+ mpg...
comingbackdown wrote:So I picked this up in early June for a steal. 99 Ram 2500 4x4, 148,xxx miles, 360 motor, reman transmission, came with the plow and a hitch and a spare rear door.
Nice enough find anyway since you have the time to put in the work to it. What did you have to steal to get the truck??
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

comingbackdown wrote:

Any known issues with the frame on these? There's actually still paint on the bottom of the frame. She's seen some use but has been well taken care of.
Yeah. Sometimes they fold in half. Its a riveted frame, not solid.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I've just realized that I've lived in Texas for quite a bit. I've forgotten that rust can be that bad in Midwest.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

ermahgerd a truck.

shiny. except for those rust spots. reminds me of my 89 spirit!
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

Squint wrote:
comingbackdown wrote:So I picked this up in early June for a steal. 99 Ram 2500 4x4, 148,xxx miles, 360 motor, reman transmission, came with the plow and a hitch and a spare rear door.
Nice enough find anyway since you have the time to put in the work to it. What did you have to steal to get the truck??
Some time from the bank. Picked her up for $1,400 even.
Not too bad. I also managed to get $500 out of my Dakota.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:
comingbackdown wrote:

Yeah. Sometimes they fold in half. Its a riveted frame, not solid.
Speakin of "I been Framed!", how about them Raptors?
http://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-truth ... 1506180244
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

$1400 with plow, currently functional drivetrain, and non-rotted frame is pretty decent.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD