Autonomous cruise control

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:Yes. I want that.

Actually, I just want a 100% chrome car. I don't want to blind anyone, I want them to blind themselves...too bright for you, too bright for me.
I saw some colored chrome cars at the Dream Cruise this summer.
Made me think of "Hot Wheels"
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Crash Dummy Layoffs Delayed!

AUTONOMOUS CAR BENEFITS DECADES AWAY - From Autoline Daily
Autonomous vehicles have the potential to drastically reduce car crashes. But the IIHS just put out an interesting press release that shows it’s going to be some time before we see the full benefits of self-driving cars. And one reason is, when the technology first becomes available most vehicles will only be able to drive autonomously on highways. But that’s where the fewest crashes occur. The IIHS says if all interstate miles were driven by self-driving cars, the maximum benefit would be 17% fewer deaths and 9% fewer injuries. But it’s going to be decades before most vehicles are equipped with the technology. If the government mandated tomorrow that all new vehicles sold had to be autonomous, it would still take at least 25 years for 95% of vehicles to be equipped with it. But as we know, most automakers won’t start selling self-driving cars to consumers until next decade. So that means we won’t see a fully autonomous fleet until the middle of the century at the earliest. So while it is exciting technology, the IIHS reminds us that we don’t need to retire crash test dummies just yet.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopne ... ytime-soon

Notice that nobody has dared to predict when the last Amish vehicle will be retired from the roads?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

First it was the Dustbuster Minivan:

Then it was minivans with built-in vacuums:

Now, the vacuum is becoming the minivan:
DYSON EV SPECULATION HEATS UP - from Autoline Daily
For the last couple of years, there’s been a lot of speculation that the vacuum cleaner company Dyson, is developing an electric car. And for good reason. In 2015 it bought battery maker Sakti3 to gain access to its solid state batteries. And last year Dyson hired Aston Martin’s head of product development, Ian Minards. And now Bloomberg reports, the company has lured another executive from the British automaker. David Wyer, the Director of Purchasing at Aston, is now the head of Procurement for Dyson. Earlier this year Dyson announced it’s building a new R&D center to develop batteries, robotics and artificial intelligence. It’s also been hiring researchers who specialize in autonomy. Dyson hasn’t confirmed if it’s working on an EV but all this activity suggests it’s got something up its sleeve.

Cue in: "It's the Circle of Life!"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... peculation
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

INTO EACH RAIN, A LITTLE LIFE MUST FAIL
All wet: Rain could delay the arrival of self-driving future
http://canada.autonews.com/article/2018 ... ews-weekly
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Star-Crossed Lovers?
TESLA S IN AUTONOMOUS MODE 'KILLS' ROBOT IN HIT-AND-RUN AT LAS VEGAS CES SHOW
The Tesla continued on after bowling over hapless little robot
https://autoweek.com/article/car-life/a ... s-ces-show
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:02 pm Star-Crossed Lovers?
TESLA S IN AUTONOMOUS MODE 'KILLS' ROBOT IN HIT-AND-RUN AT LAS VEGAS CES SHOW
The Tesla continued on after bowling over hapless little robot
https://autoweek.com/article/car-life/a ... s-ces-show
Tool of the Devil, I say! Push it (the autonomous car) off a cliff and good riddance!
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Hello...911

There is a Pilot Trapped in my vehicle. I need help in letting him out.

I'll send assistance. What is your location?

Abundance of new terms for driver-assist features is leaving consumers bewildered

"Pilot. Autopilot. ProPILOT. Pilot Assist. Co-Pilot 360. Highway Pilot.

These are merely a handful of the name brands that automakers use to market driver-assist features available on new vehicles. The onslaught of new terminology is confusing drivers and causing misunderstandings over the nuanced differences in the capabilities and limitations of these systems.

"Somewhere in there, you'd think a pilot is involved," said Greg Brannon, director of automotive engineering and industry relations at AAA. "But indeed no, human driving is still involved.""

https://www.autonews.com/regulation-saf ... bewildered
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:13 am How about autonomous motorcycles: https://theweek.com/articles/763907/aut ... iving-cars
In going from an autonomous car to an autonomous motorcycle, you save some size, weight, complexity, etc., but why stop there?

The autonomous tire would be even more simple.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

So What's It To You, Mac?

Apple co-founder: ‘I've really given up' on Level 5'. “I don’t even know if that will happen in my lifetime.”

What we’ve done is we’ve misled the public into thinking this car is going to be like a human brain to be able to really figure out new things and say, ‘Here’s something I hadn’t seen before, but I know what’s going on here, and here’s how I should handle it. A human can do that.

https://www.macobserver.com/news/steve- ... -vehicles/
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

What do you think of this conversation I found on another site?''
Autonomous vehicle proponents have realized that pedestrians will probably game the system! Since cars will no longer be a danger to them - pedestrians will walk onto the streets of cities, walking right into the street, any place, any time. Traffic will be paralyzed.
How can this be solved? Fences?
Indeed. Gangs of youths will especially target autonomous delivery vehicles, step into the road to stop them, and then bust them open and steal the contents. I anticipate that this sort of thing will be especially prevalent in certain parts of cities, which the merchants will try to “redline,” leading to serious questions of discrimination.
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:49 am What do you think of this conversation I found on another site?''
Autonomous vehicle proponents have realized that pedestrians will probably game the system! Since cars will no longer be a danger to them - pedestrians will walk onto the streets of cities, walking right into the street, any place, any time. Traffic will be paralyzed.
Indeed. Gangs of youths will especially target autonomous delivery vehicles, step into the road to stop them, and then bust them open and steal the contents. I anticipate that this sort of thing will be especially prevalent in certain parts of cities, which the merchants will try to “redline,” leading to serious questions of discrimination.
What keeps people from using the same method with a driven vehicle? Fear that the driver will beat you up, shoot you, or run you over and say "OOPSIE!" Maybe autonomous delivery vehicles need to have electrified skin, but then the thieves will wear footgear with insulated soles and then the vehicle will have to squirt them down to establish a path to ground and then the thieves will attack while mounted on hoverboards and then the vehicle will emit an electro-magnetic pulse that disables the hoverboards and then........

I'm still thinking that for most deliveries the driver and/or their assistant carries the package up to the door, inside the building, places it behind the storm door, rings the door ball, etc. It's a bit of personal service that may be difficult to replicate fully without a human being involved. If I have to run out in the rain to the curb to get my pizza, I'm not leaving R2D2 a tip!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

ClutchFork wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:49 am What do you think of this conversation I found on another site?''
I've said this before and I'll say it again---I think it would be a riot to DRIVE a car in a sea of autonomous vehicles. Why? Well, they will always try their best to avoid a collision with another vehicle. And think about how much fun you could have in a situation like that. Gotta love robot cars....
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:23 pm So What's It To You, Mac?

Apple co-founder: ‘I've really given up' on Level 5'. “I don’t even know if that will happen in my lifetime.”

What we’ve done is we’ve misled the public into thinking this car is going to be like a human brain to be able to really figure out new things and say, ‘Here’s something I hadn’t seen before, but I know what’s going on here, and here’s how I should handle it. A human can do that.

https://www.macobserver.com/news/steve- ... -vehicles/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGUnbEqSZfc
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Shadow wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:23 am I've said this before and I'll say it again---I think it would be a riot to DRIVE a car in a sea of autonomous vehicles. Why? Well, they will always try their best to avoid a collision with another vehicle. And think about how much fun you could have in a situation like that. Gotta love robot cars....
Hee hee, I already can do that in my clapped-out, beater Chevy S10 pickup. Everybody in their shiny lease vehicles can see that the S10 does not care if it needs a few more Gorilla Tape bandages applied, so they steer clear of me. I can pretty much nose my way into a line of traffic with ease. :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77