Let's see your knives!

All things photo, moving or not.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Let's see your knives!

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:If you ever decide to move the pocketclip to aaccommodateyour carry method (4 positions available), make sure you locktight the threads on the bolts.

I was wearing my rat-1 a few weeks ago when I was staying at Austin. After I left Matt's, I went down to stay with another friend. As I was walking through her house, the pocket clip caught a doorframe lockplate and ripped it out the frame. Completely.
Were the Loctite advice and story related? I can't see how Loctite would have helped, but maybe they were not related.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:If you ever decide to move the pocketclip to aaccommodateyour carry method (4 positions available), make sure you locktight the threads on the bolts.

I was wearing my rat-1 a few weeks ago when I was staying at Austin. After I left Matt's, I went down to stay with another friend. As I was walking through her house, the pocket clip caught a doorframe lockplate and ripped it out the frame. Completely.
Were the Loctite advice and story related? I can't see how Loctite would have helped, but maybe they were not related.
Second cousins twice-removed, but let back in the family once.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

jk about getting the BG edition bro :lol:
does look cool though 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

theholycow wrote:

I was wearing my rat-1 a weeks ago when I was staying at Austin. After I left Matt's, I went down to stay with another friend. As I was walking through her house, the pocket clip caught a doorframe lockplate and ripped it out the frame. Completely.
Indirectly related. I put the screws on tocktite after I removed the clip to reshape it slightly to fix the retention after I broke the lock's door plate with it. From the factory they are on locktite and if you don't apply it, the screws will back out.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Too bad BG knives are made by Gerber and they use crummy steel. I don't consider myself a knife snob, but for a 'survival' knife, which is a medium to heavy duty knife, you have to use appropriate steel. What Gerber uses is less than ideal. Moreso, it's inadequate for the actual advertised use.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I doubt I will move it. Depending on what pants Im wearing and what Im doing I tend to carry knives differently. The factory location is probably ideal with this knife.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:Too bad BG knives are made by Gerber and they use crummy steel. I don't consider myself a knife snob, but for a 'survival' knife, which is a medium to heavy duty knife, you have to use appropriate steel. What Gerber uses is less than ideal. Moreso, it's inadequate for the actual advertised use.

Well, the Gerber Baby was impressed with the knife anyway.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

So I have recently tried stropping a knife using cardboard instead of leather. I worked on my RAT-1. The knife sees some mild to medium duty use and the factory edge has been long gone and resharpened since.

Oh my! I've never had a proper leather strop (always used a belt or piece of hide without adding any compounds, so not a fair comparison, probably), but plain cardboard does a fantastic job. I set the edge first on my diamond-coated stone, then on ceramic and then I refined it on cardboard. Now I have knife-mange on my arms from shaving off hairs.

I took a shotgunn shell and sliced off the outer husk, kind of in the same way you'd wittle the end of a stick, and it went through it like hot butter. I wanted to check out the particulars of the shot pellets...

Tonight I'm going to do some work on my TAK-1. 1095 steel on that knife takes a little more time, but it mostly needs ceramic and then cardboard action. I plan on going backpacking this coming weekend and my main camp knife (the TAK-1) needs to be ready.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote: I took a shotgunn shell and sliced off the outer husk, kind of in the same way you'd wittle the end of a stick, and it went through it like hot butter. I wanted to check out the particulars of the shot pellets...Image

thickset
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

KNIVES!!!!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Da Knife!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I haven't bought any new knives since the thread was started in Feb. I did buy a kydex sheath for my TAK-1 to replace the customer leather sheath, which wasn't working well for me any more.

I don't buy knives for looks, as every knife I own gets used, so I suppose I've not had a recent need.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650