Got another standard shift

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Got another standard shift

Post by Stelcom66 »

Since there was room in the driveway again for a truck a month and a half ago I purchased a '98 Chevy Silverado. It was a good vehicle for the price, but used gas much more than I anticipated and had to settle for an automatic. Then it started intermittently getting stuck in 4WD. I didn't want to deal with that and start putting money into the truck. I really wanted a V6 and manual transmission, quite rare in a full size pickup. Some would think I'm crazy - I traded the Chevy in for a '97 Dakota 2WD with the 3.9 V6 and 5 speed. I'm surprised the dealership did an 'upside down' deal - the Chevy was worth more than the Dodge even with the defect. I would have preferred full size 4WD, but this is fine. I have the option of just not driving the Dodge when it snows. It is a pleasure to drive - the V6 and the manual transmission seem like a great powertrain for the truck. It sounds and feels good. I was also pleased to see mine has the 3.21 axle ratio. If I tow anything it'll be a small utility trailer. The rpms at 65 mph are good around 2150 rpm. The Dakota has an upshift light which I've never had before. After buying the Dakota I wondered why sales weren't good enough to keep it in production, I think 2011 was the last year. And again, as before especially wonder why standard shifts are unpopular.
2007 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2.7L 5MT
2002 Chevy Silverado LS 4x4 4AT
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Got another standard shift

Post by ClutchFork »

Glad to hear you got another standard shift. Sounds like a nice truck. Yeah, why did they kill the Dakota, ther Ranger, the S10, and I think even the Colorado? The masses in america want big blobish hulking vehicles with every convenience and automatic and computerized feature. It's a different world.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

There is a user on here who has a rare GMT800 (1999-2007 GM full size) with V6 and manual transmission. I don't remember who but he was happy with it.

You can drive without 4WD in the winter. Snow tires and ballast help, but what you need most is practice.

Yeah, that's a bummer about the market not supporting compact pickups.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

well, the colorado i can understand - every review bags that I5 engine (amongst other things). as for the RWD dilemma, i've heard of people driving them in the snow with good tires, though i doubt it's half as safe as the 4WD.

edit: where does OP live?? :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

From what I understand, and I've never been in the market really for a truck, the mileage is pretty much the same and the hauling capabilities are reduced. Granted for every truck that is being used for trucky things there are twelve posers using them as the man sedan.

Wasn't the Colorado/Canyon supposed to take over for the S10/Sonoma (or whatever GMC's version was called)?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Don't think 4WD is safer. Easier to get where you're going, yes, but if you can halfway drive and plan ahead RWD will do anything you need it to and if you can't drive or plan ahead, 4WD won't save you.

Yes, Colorado and Canyon replaced S-10 and Sonoma.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

IMBoring25 wrote:Don't think 4WD is safer. Easier to get where you're going, yes, but if you can halfway drive and plan ahead RWD will do anything you need it to and if you can't drive or plan ahead, 4WD won't save you.
In the frozen Tundra I see far more 4x4 trucks and SUVlets in the ditch than I see cars. Everybody who has them seems to think that they will make up for a loss of traction...ON ICE. Meanwhile 4 times 0 traction is no better than 2 times 0 traction.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:From what I understand, and I've never been in the market really for a truck, the mileage is pretty much the same and the hauling capabilities are reduced. Granted for every truck that is being used for trucky things there are twelve posers using them as the man sedan.

Wasn't the Colorado/Canyon supposed to take over for the S10/Sonoma (or whatever GMC's version was called)?
Tow rating may be reduced, but not how much you can haul in the bed...the I5 may be no speed demon but base model compact pickups traditionally were not, and the Colorado/Canyon needn't be any better. It's still going to be plenty to haul more than the rated load at the same speed as everybody else on the road is going. The lowered towing capacity would likely be for the sake of the automatic transmission which would struggle and do a lot of heavily-loaded shifting with an underpowered engine. The trend for manual transmissions seems to be that they don't bother to build them strong enough to be rated for as heavy towing as the way they're rating automatics. Anyway, a decent driver with a manual transmission would merely have to be patient and could tow the same stuff just as safely.
IMBoring25 wrote:Don't think 4WD is safer. Easier to get where you're going, yes, but if you can halfway drive and plan ahead RWD will do anything you need it to and if you can't drive or plan ahead, 4WD won't save you.

Yes, Colorado and Canyon replaced S-10 and Sonoma.
4WD isn't completely bereft of safety advantages, but it is nowhere near the panacea that people like to think it is. Its safety advantages are minor. It discourages thrust at one end of the vehicle from breaking traction causing that end of the vehicle to slide sideways. It connects front and rear axles, slightly reducing brake skidding. In a sideways skid, both axles get to thrust for a powerslide, if the driver is very good at that.
tankinbeans wrote:In the frozen Tundra I see far more 4x4 trucks and SUVlets in the ditch than I see cars. Everybody who has them seems to think that they will make up for a loss of traction...ON ICE. Meanwhile 4 times 0 traction is no better than 2 times 0 traction.
This. Not only does it make people think they can do more just because of the idea that they have 4WD, but it messes with their perception of available traction. When acceleration works well and doesn't cause sliding all over the place, a driver might not realize that there's very little traction available for steering and braking. It also encourages people to drive unnecessarily when it would be a better idea to stay in.

I gotta say though, I left my 4WD truck at home all winter with chains and plow mounted and drove my RWD Buick even in the snow, and that actually worked out great. I'm pretty damn good at it, apparently; credit also goes to the car's good weight distribution and my studded snow tires.

Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

In the 70s I only had RWD cars. My driveway now is at a slight angle, if I was to park the Dakota head in before clearing the driveway of snow I'd probably be stuck, my son was with his 4WD Ram in 2WD. As mentioned, snow tires, chains, and weight in the back would be a big help. For years town police cars were Ford Crown Victorias, most state police cars in Conn. still are. I don't get overconfident when driving my Subaru Forester, I've also seen 4WD vehicles (ironically more so than 2WD) in ditches or spun around the other way.

The Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon did offer a manual transmission, don't know if the Dakota did in it's final years. I'll admit the CVT in the company Jeep is nice, keeps the rpms low on the highway and responds well - but I wonder about durability. I've seen that discussion about the latest Subarus, the CVT models are rated for better fuel economy but they haven't been out there long enough to see how they'll hold out. Subaru had one in their 3 cylinder Justy years ago, I don't know about their durability. And some automatics are now 6 or 8 speeds??
2007 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2.7L 5MT
2002 Chevy Silverado LS 4x4 4AT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

CVTs have been around long enough and don't seem to be horribly weak. I wouldn't want one anyway. ;)

My driveway is quite steep and is made of rutted mud that used to be thoroughly covered in stone. Getting up it with 2wd is my biggest problem, though now that I have a plow it gets scraped clean enough that it works. I do park in the flat back yard once the driveway is slick. Speaking of which, 4wd gives you 3 wheels of parking brake...

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

CVT is very interesting, but totally obscures the joys of "motoring" as it was understood in the days of yore. Other automatic transmission likewise.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Stelcom66 wrote:I traded the Chevy in for a '97 Dakota 2WD with the 3.9 V6 and 5 speed.
Nice. Do you have any pictures of the truck?
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

InlinePaul wrote:CVT is very interesting, but totally obscures the joys of "motoring" as it was understood in the days of yore. Other automatic transmission likewise.
I don't know that many people care about the "days of yore motoring". I think many of us here do, but not many of your average drivers. They just care about point A to point B, not how they get there.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Squint wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:CVT is very interesting, but totally obscures the joys of "motoring" as it was understood in the days of yore. Other automatic transmission likewise.
I don't know that many people care about the "days of yore motoring". I think many of us here do, but not many of your average drivers. They just care about point A to point B, not how they get there.
Most would prefer a Star Treck transporter to get from A to B. I would not mind for those long tedious trips, especially if the alternative is to fly. But for routine trips, I would hate to give up drivin my stick. Then I would have to go out driving for the fun of it, instead of having fun while getting where I need to go.
Stick shiftin since '77
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

InlinePaul wrote:Then I would have to go out driving for the fun of it, instead of having fun while getting where I need to go.
That is exactly the feeling that I think most of us have, that your average person doesn't care about. I enjoy the getting from A to B sometimes more than the arrival at B.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!