Mazda bringing super-clean diesel to US in 2014?

All the news that's fit to shift.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Mazda bringing super-clean diesel to US in 2014?

Post by Squint »

From BBC Auto (over a month ago.. my bad):
Without the soot traps or filters common in diesel engines on US roads, Mazda will have its Skyactiv-D engine ready for sale in the US for the 2014 model year.

Tokio Ishino, staff manager for powertrain development at Mazda, would rather the power plant not even be called a diesel, referring to it as a “new combustion mechanism”.

The engine meets stringent US exhaust emissions standards – traditionally a sore spot for European and Asian automakers hoping to offer their diesels in the US. It passes EU emissions restrictions that will not be enacted for another few years. It will have other manufacturers looking at their own diesels and wondering why they have to plug up the exhaust with pricey, energy-sapping equipment to be street-legal in the US.
The big question... will any vehicles with those engines have a stick option?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Re: Mazda bringing super-clean diesel to US in 2014?

Post by DKaz »

I'm test driving a diesel Mazda 6 this weekend. I'll give you my thoughts.

I think it's been confirmed that you can get the diesel with stick or auto.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint wrote:The big question... will any vehicles with those engines have a stick option?
The super question...will anybody buy them?

I read so many posts by people whinging about how they can't have diesels for whatever reason, but when it comes to where to bear shifts in the woods they don't buy. Either that, or they whinge and only buy used cars. You can't really make your choice known to manufacturers if you won't put your money where your mouth is.

The diesels that VW have on offer are more of a cult item I would think. They have a dedicated following, but the general public doesn't really give two flying forks at any rolling donuts.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:The super question...will anybody buy them?

I read so many posts by people whinging about how they can't have diesels for whatever reason, but when it comes to where to bear shifts in the woods they don't buy. Either that, or they whinge and only buy used cars. You can't really make your choice known to manufacturers if you won't put your money where your mouth is.

The diesels that VW have on offer are more of a cult item I would think. They have a dedicated following, but the general public doesn't really give two flying forks at any rolling donuts.
Oh, I agree. My parents had a diesel for years. I would very very seriously consider one for my next car purchase, whenever I can afford to replace the Civic. Granted, I'm only one person, not the whole market... so yeah. Your point does stand. I do think if the good fuel economy small diesels became more common here, they would become more popular just from people wanting good MPG.

For Pony!
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

tankinbeans wrote:The super question...will anybody buy them?

A good number of people who want diesels wouldn't touch VWs with a ten foot pole, Mazda's trying to get those people. There are people who bought VW only because of the TDI engine and nothing more, Mazda's trying to get those people to. This may be the niche Mazda is looking for.

I don't think the Skyactiv-Diesel will be much more fuel efficient than the gasoline model, but the attraction will be the gobs of torque at 2,000 RPM.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I just can't make myself interested in diesels at all. Not sure why...that's just the way it is.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Shadow wrote:I just can't make myself interested in diesels at all. Not sure why...that's just the way it is.
You engine-ist! Fuel-ist...? Who knows.

:wink: :lol:

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I want a car that runs on cow farts.

This reminds me of a thread I stumbled upon earlier regarding high pressure fuel pumps. I gathered that they're used in diesels and GDI (gasoline direct injection) engines. Is this something I should worry about when deciding to buy out my lease on Clifford in 2 and a half years?

</off topicish>
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:I want a car that runs on cow farts.
I should totally get one. I'd never need to stop to fill up, could just hook up fill tube to my seat.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

theholycow wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:I want a car that runs on cow farts.
I should totally get one. I'd never need to stop to fill up, could just hook up fill tube to my seat.
Rofl :lol: :lol:

I mentioned in IRC about it possibly coming to the Mazda 6 and one of the crossovers. Atleast that was what I was told at a Mazda Dealer. If one is put in a 3 and has a 6 speed, I'd gladly pay 25k for it. I assume it'll be priced competitive to a VW.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Double post... but this I think deserves a bump.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013 ... mobil.html
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed