Honest Engines

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: Honest Engines

Post by Squint »

That is really interesting. At the moment, I would probably get a diesel over a hybrid if all else were equal. Partially because of the more fun to drive factor, partially because of the stick shift factor, partially because I have a tiny obsession with diesels. :lol: :roll:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Squint wrote:That is really interesting. At the moment, I would probably get a diesel over a hybrid if all else were equal. Partially because of the more fun to drive factor, partially because of the stick shift factor, partially because I have a tiny obsession with diesels. :lol: :roll:
yeah, if the jetta hybrid i drove is any indication (caveat: it wasn't broken in and i wasn't used to it), i'd be leaning toward the diesel instead.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Saabstory02
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 VW .:R32

Post by Saabstory02 »

Hybrids suck; diesels are the way to go. :mrgreen:
2012 Golf TDI - 6M, 4 Dr
| Chrome GTI Switches | Stainless Sport pedals | Golf R Steering Wheel, Shift Knob/boot & E-Brake | Moda MD6 wheels |
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

2014 Ward's 10 Best Engines

Diesels are well-represented among the winners.

http://wardsauto.com/2014-wards-10-best ... article_12
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Wards Top Ten Engines from the last 20 years

Yeah VTEC!

http://wardsauto.com/ward039s-10-best-e ... nes?page=1
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Was that 2.2 VTEC from the Prelude related to the one in the 95 Accord EX?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:Was that 2.2 VTEC from the Prelude related to the one in the 95 Accord EX?
For US market, it was H22 (DOHC VTEC Prelude) vs. F22 (SOHC VTEC Accord); as you might imagine without looking it up, the H22 engines are more powerful than the F22 engines. I think there was an F20 or something like that that was rated as more powerful than most of the H series engines, but we didn't get it. To answer your question though, same company, different engine series.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

From Autoline Supplier Symposium held during supplier days at NAIAS:
Speaker from TRW claimed that 50% of the friction in a piston engine is due to the piston rings. TRW is working on some new coatings to really cut that down - good for 3 grams of CO2 per 100 km. No, he wouldn't divulge what was in the secret sauce.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:From Autoline Supplier Symposium held during supplier days at NAIAS:
Speaker from TRW claimed that 50% of the friction in a piston engine is due to the piston rings. TRW is working on some new coatings to really cut that down - good for 3 grams of CO2 per 100 km. No, he wouldn't divulge what was in the secret sauce.
Do you really want to know about the special sauce? Really??

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:From Autoline Supplier Symposium held during supplier days at NAIAS:
Do you really want to know about the special sauce? Really??
In the last "He Like-A the Juice" sketch, the bottle finally ran dry and Rob's character had to go see the DOGs up on Mt. Olympus to get the bottle refilled. You do know what Zeus asked him, right?
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:In the last "He Like-A the Juice" sketch, the bottle finally ran dry and Rob's character had to go see the DOGs up on Mt. Olympus to get the bottle refilled. You do know what Zeus asked him, right?
Nope, I do not. But I'm going to say it was something similar to what I said. Rob looks really young in that screencap though... I might have been alive when this first ran.

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:In the last "He Like-A the Juice" sketch, the bottle finally ran dry and Rob's character had to go see the DOGs up on Mt. Olympus to get the bottle refilled. You do know what Zeus asked him, right?
Nope, I do not. But I'm going to say it was something similar to what I said. Rob looks really young in that screencap though... I might have been alive when this first ran.
The synchronizer was invented well before I was born, but that doesn't decrease my appreciation of it one bit.

So Rob's character hands Zeus the empty bottle and asks if he can get some more juice. Zeus sez to hymn "You like-a the juice? The juice is-a good? etc." and turns to the other Dogs and sez "He like-a the juice! He say the juice ees good", just like Rob's character has been badgering the customers at the restaurant every time they ask for more juice in a series of sketches that goes back several weeks.
Rob's character comes down from Olympus and the customers are all asleep at the restaurant tables, all covered with dust and cobwebs, like he's been gone a month or something. The the cast comes out of character and sez they won't be doing any more versions of this sketch.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:The synchronizer was invented well before I was born, but that doesn't decrease my appreciation of it one bit.
Fantastic way to put it. Thanks for the play by play.

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:The synchronizer was invented well before I was born, but that doesn't decrease my appreciation of it one bit.
Fantastic way to put it. Thanks for the play by play.
I read that too fast and thought you were thanking Rope for foreplay.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

New Ford V-6 Will Be Game Changer
From Wards Autohttp://wardsauto.com/blog/new-ford-v-6- ... me-changer

When Ford announced its new 2.7L EcoBoost V-6 would be made of compacted graphite iron at the North American International Auto Show, most journalists and civilians just scratched their heads. But everyone in the powertrain community knew immediately what the automaker was up to: a super-quiet engine capable of potentially mind-boggling output.

CGI is a metallurgically modified form of cast iron that is 75% stronger than conventional gray iron and 45% stiffer and has double the fatigue strength. These properties allow engine designers to create exceptionally strong architectures that are lighter and more compact with thinner walls and structures. But until Ford’s 2.7L EcoBoost, it only has been used for diesels and some race-car engines.

In addition to strength, the material has superb noise, vibration and harshness characteristics. A key factor that helped the 3.0L diesel in the Ram 1500 pickup win a 2014 Ward’s 10 Best Engines award is excellent NVH. Its block and bedplate are made from CGI.

“Most CGI engines end up being 0.5 to 1.5 decibels quieter than the old gray-iron engine,” Dawson says. “If you put the engineers around the dyno when they first run the engine, it’s the first thing they usually comment on.”