Honest Engines

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Honest Engines

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Hey Noob5,000,000!

The guest on Autoweek After Hours says he's got a handle on what has been the big problem with rotary engines - the compression leaks past the spark plug and effectively you lose half the pressure....and also that's unburned fuel-air misture, not just air, so emissions and fuel smileage suffer accordianly.

The spark plugs presents a leak path that is wider than the apex seals. He's got some ideas to mill a slot that is narrower than the apex seals and mount an army surplus flame thrower in there to ignite the mixture. Now he needs to go on Shark Tank or get a Go-Fund-Me thing going so he can tool up some prototype engines.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Epo8C6CwI[/youtube]
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Mel Brooks History of the 0-60, Part II

Traction-Limited during the 1960s, Octane, fuel economy and Emission limited during the 1970s, and somewhere mid-way through the 1980s they got things fingered-out.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/sports-ca ... ogression/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Detroit DD15 Gen 5 showcases durability of new diesel tech

https://www.sae.org/news/2022/01/detroi ... sel-engine
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

now iff own lee wee cud putt their Injens inn our civil yen cars end trunks :( :arrow: :?

edit: is detroit diesel stihl owned by yer company, rope? witch is the bettor owner, gm er chrisler? :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:44 am now iff own lee wee cud putt their Injens inn our civil yen cars end trunks :( :arrow: :?

edit: is detroit diesel stihl owned by yer company, rope? witch is the bettor owner, gm er chrisler? :)
GM owned them until 2000, then DamnLiarChrysler purchased them (Using Chrysler's "Rainy Day" funds, no doubt)

They are owned by DamnLiar AG (Achtung Gesundheit) now.

So is the present ownership better than the previous owners?

U B de Judge:

"2016: Detroit Diesel agreed to pay US$28.5 million to resolve violations of US federal Clean Air Act. The company sold 7,786 heavy-duty diesel engines, which were assembled approximately 80% complete in 2009, including the crankshaft, block, pistons, and connecting rods. These short block engines were stored temporarily, and the remaining assembly work was completed in early 2010 for use in trucks and buses of in model year 2010.[7] These engines were alleged not to comply with stricter 2010 emission standards.[7] The company believed its practice was allowed under EPA regulations.[7]"

Seems like DamnLiar has a thing about breaking rules and getting fined for it, especially when it comes to Diesel Engines.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

STELLANTIS UNVEILS ALL-NEW IC ENGINE - Autoline Daily
People made a big stink when Ford started dropping V8s and V6s in favor of turbo 6s and 4s, but it seemed to have little impact on the company. Now Stellantis is going down the same route. It’s coming out with an all-new, twin-turbo 3.0L in-line 6-cylinder engine, codenamed Hurricane, that’s going to be offered in place of larger and less efficient engines. Some of the highlights include an aluminum block, forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods, dual overhead cams, special cylinder bore coating, integrated exhaust manifold and high pressure direct injection of over 5,000 PSI or 350 bar. Two outputs are available. Standard is 400 horsepower with 450 lb-ft of torque, while High Output versions will make 500 horsepower and 475 lb-ft of torque. Even so, it’s up to 15% more efficient than larger engines. The hurricane engine will be made in Mexico and start showing up in larger Stellantis vehicles sometime this year.

https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.co ... 3660&mid=1
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

TOYOTA UNVEILS ALL-NEW IC ENGINE - Autoline Daily
Piston heads, rejoice! We’ve got another all-new internal combustion engine to report about. And this one comes from Toyota. It’s swapping out the 3.5 liter V6 in the Highlander and replacing it with a new 2.4-liter turbocharged four. Customers are going to lose some horsepower. The turbo 4 generates 265 ponies, while the V6 generated 295. But they’re going to get more torque–310 pound-feet for the 4, versus 263 for the V6. Toyota says the new engine will also reduce NOx and nonmethane organic gasses by 50% as well as reduce CO2 emissions. And it expects the EPA to rate the 2023 Highlander at 25 miles to the gallon, about 1 mpg better than before. We don’t hear a lot about new IC engines these days. We already reported on the all-new inline 6 that’s going in the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer. But engine experts tell Autoline that after engines like these make their debuts they’re not aware of any clean-sheet engine designs that are being developed. Automakers will continue to update their existing engines, but they’re not designing any new ones.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/new-toyota ... emissions/
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:31 pm STELLANTIS UNVEILS ALL-NEW IC ENGINE - Autoline Daily
People made a big stink when Ford started dropping V8s and V6s in favor of turbo 6s and 4s, but it seemed to have little impact on the company. Now Stellantis is going down the same route. It’s coming out with an all-new, twin-turbo 3.0L in-line 6-cylinder engine, codenamed Hurricane, that’s going to be offered in place of larger and less efficient engines. Some of the highlights include an aluminum block, forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods, dual overhead cams, special cylinder bore coating, integrated exhaust manifold and high pressure direct injection of over 5,000 PSI or 350 bar. Two outputs are available. Standard is 400 horsepower with 450 lb-ft of torque, while High Output versions will make 500 horsepower and 475 lb-ft of torque. Even so, it’s up to 15% more efficient than larger engines. The hurricane engine will be made in Mexico and start showing up in larger Stellantis vehicles sometime this year.

https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.co ... 3660&mid=1
eye fink eye heard won off doze new f150s the other day, ether whiff a 4 cylinder turbo ore some hybrid plant eye’m too lazy two look up. Sounded horrible.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:39 pm Image

TOYOTA UNVEILS ALL-NEW IC ENGINE - Autoline Daily
Piston heads, rejoice! We’ve got another all-new internal combustion engine to report about. And this one comes from Toyota. It’s swapping out the 3.5 liter V6 in the Highlander and replacing it with a new 2.4-liter turbocharged four. Customers are going to lose some horsepower. The turbo 4 generates 265 ponies, while the V6 generated 295. But they’re going to get more torque–310 pound-feet for the 4, versus 263 for the V6. Toyota says the new engine will also reduce NOx and nonmethane organic gasses by 50% as well as reduce CO2 emissions. And it expects the EPA to rate the 2023 Highlander at 25 miles to the gallon, about 1 mpg better than before. We don’t hear a lot about new IC engines these days. We already reported on the all-new inline 6 that’s going in the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer. But engine experts tell Autoline that after engines like these make their debuts they’re not aware of any clean-sheet engine designs that are being developed. Automakers will continue to update their existing engines, but they’re not designing any new ones.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/new-toyota ... emissions/
just after my cousin bought a new highlander to replace her older one. For some reason she was against the hybrid, despite complaining about bad gas mileage on her ‘14 non-hybrid. For her whiff her two sons, the hybrid would’ve been a better choice methings.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Re: Honest Engines SO SMOOTH!!

Post by potownrob »

Give me your heart, make it real, or else forget about it...

https://www.wheels.ca/news/mazdas-is-us ... le-history
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Inline sixes don't fit well in East-West FWD vehicles. They don't fit well in North-South RWD vehicles with short hoods. These are some of the reasons the industry moved away from them. Same as why VW did their VR6.
Some V-6's are based on v-8s and can share some manufacturing tooling, but a straight six can share with an in-line 4.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:52 pm Inline sixes don't fit well in East-West FWD vehicles. They don't fit well in North-South RWD vehicles with short hoods. These are some of the reasons the industry moved away from them. Same as why VW did their VR6.
Some V-6's are based on v-8s and can share some manufacturing tooling, but a straight six can share with an in-line 4.
Guess that makes Mazda different. Eye fink Lexus might be collaborating whiff dem on diss doe so watch out fore long hoods and smooth engine notes.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Honda to Exit the Lawn Mower Market

"The decision to end lawn mower production is driven by market forces such as stricter environmental regulations, shifting customer preferences, and our focus on growing profitable products in our portfolio," the statement said. "Honda will continue to sell the remainder of its lawn and garden product line and industrial type power products such as GX engines, generators and water pumps, and continue to supports its service and parts operations in the U.S. market."

https://www.reddit.com/r/egopowerplus/c ... er_market/

Decision was based on headlice like this:

California Sued Honda Over Lawn Mower Engines Again
Honda has been hit with a $6.9 million dollar fine after it failed to meet strict emissions rules on small engines

https://jalopnik.com/california-sued-ho ... 1848180876
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:26 pm Honda to Exit the Lawn Mower Market

"The decision to end lawn mower production is driven by market forces such as stricter environmental regulations, shifting customer preferences, and our focus on growing profitable products in our portfolio," the statement said. "Honda will continue to sell the remainder of its lawn and garden product line and industrial type power products such as GX engines, generators and water pumps, and continue to supports its service and parts operations in the U.S. market."

Honda has been hit with a $6.9 million dollar fine after it failed to meet strict emissions rules on small engines

that's too bad, but i'm not sure most people will miss them in the small engine lawn service market. i had a 4 hp self-propelled mower that worked well (other than wanting for another hp) until the clutch went bust (it was too heavy to push up hills without the self-propelled feature). probably should've had the clutch replaced (and blades sharpened, engine tuned up, etc.) but got a cheap push mower from lowes instead (which worked well). we have a lawn service come in recent years, so they can use whatever works for them. honda did things differently, at least on my honda mower. thick plastic (rubber?) body, weird shaped carbs and stuff, cool angled double blades.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:28 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:26 pm Honda to Exit the Lawn Mower Market

that's too bad, but i'm not sure most people will miss them in the small engine lawn service market. i had a 4 hp self-propelled mower that worked well (other than wanting for another hp) until the clutch went bust (it was too heavy to push up hills without the self-propelled feature). probably should've had the clutch replaced (and blades sharpened, engine tuned up, etc.) but got a cheap push mower from lowes instead (which worked well). we have a lawn service come in recent years, so they can use whatever works for them. honda did things differently, at least on my honda mower. thick plastic (rubber?) body, weird shaped carbs and stuff, cool angled double blades.
I'm not against considering a BEL - Battery Electric Lawnmower - the next time I purchase one, but I'll still need to keep my "Leaf Boy" mower around for when the leaves fall from the trees - I've never run across another lawnmower that pulverizes and powders the leaves like this one does. I'm looking out for lightweight posers. I'd rather that the manufacturer took a proven lawnmower design and swapped the Breaks-n-Scrap'em engine for an electric motor. There is enough learning to go along with offering BELs that you don't need to change the chassis at the same time.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzKGWGEg-Co[/youtube]