Car buck/jerk near idle speed while in first gear.

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
JelloShot
Junior Standardshifter

Car buck/jerk near idle speed while in first gear.

Post by JelloShot »

Hi folks,

I have VW MK5 GTi.

I notice that when the car is engaged in first gear and the RPM is near idle speed (~800 rpm), with slight throttle input, the car bucks/jerks back and forth. Is this normal for modern car with manual transmission?

When I am driving in heavy traffic, I would love to be able to drive at slow pace (like 5 mph) So that I don't have to "ride" the clutch for 1-2 seconds and then coast in neutral.

Any tips on how to drive slowly in the traffic would be much appreciated.

thanks
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Honda Prelude

Re: Car buck/jerk near idle speed while in first gear.

Post by comawhite »

I have the same problem when I try this in a parking lot.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

welcome to my world. you'll get better in time; some cars just like it rough though.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Post by fr4n »

this is pretty normal. just get off gas, and then very gradually apply gas again. if u just feather the gas at idle speed it will buck.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

I think it's normal.

My car does this too, but I found it won't if I just keep my foot GENTLY and steady on the gas. If I suddendly try engine braking and let my RPMs drop, my car looks like a bunny. :lol:
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Yeah it is normal. I just use second for that type of a situation. And sometimes third.

My car handles it just fine, plus its a 92hp engine.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
camera_man
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '97 Jeep, '12 Cruze

Post by camera_man »

I always try to leave a large gap in front of me in traffic, that way I can pretty much idle in first the entire time without needing to hit the gas or brake. This also makes traffic jams suck less, since it takes a decent amount of concentration to keep a following distance great enough (and to read the traffic further ahead) to never have to brake. If I do need to speed up slightly, then very gradual pedal application is key.

Otherwise, if it's truly stop-and-go, and you can't leave a gap, then I just slip the clutch. That's what it's there for...
2012 Chevy Cruze
1.4L Turbo, 6 speed

1997 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L, 5 speed
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Some cars are more prone to bucking/jerking while at slow speed in 1st gear than others. I remember my old V8 Mustangs were often like bucking broncos if I tried to putz along at low RPM in 1st gear. To smooth it out, I'd engage the clutch and then slip it a bit while letting it back out. This usually worked, but not always. I think it has to do with a combination of factors (gearing, engine torque, driveline lash, etc...) that makes some cars buck more than others.

FWIW, I've only owned two cars that have virtually no low speed bucking/jerking at all. The first one was an old '80s Celica (when they were RWD) that I bought as a winter beater back in 1993. The drivetrain on that car was smooth as butter no matter what the driver did. The other car is my current Audi. It's also perfectly happy crawling at low speeds in 1st gear, without any kind of bucking/jerking or protesting in any way. But every other car I've owned over the years has been at least a little bit of a bucking bronco, with the worst by far being my Mustangs.
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Honda Prelude

Post by comawhite »

Afaik in my car it only bucks when you're trying to give it some gas to creep through a parking lot in first gear. I don't think I experience it in second gear.
charbs152
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Mazda3 i Touring 6MT

Post by charbs152 »

comawhite wrote:Afaik in my car it only bucks when you're trying to give it some gas to creep through a parking lot in first gear. I don't think I experience it in second gear.
its the gear ratios. any manual will do this in first gear. the lower the gear (1,2,3,4,5) the more bucking you will get. you have to be smooth when you are pressing the gas pedal...I can drive my car smooth in first gear no problem. if you are in traffic and want to slow down just push the clutch in and coast or let off the gas a little bit and the engine will do the rest. its simple. stop over thinking things.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

comawhite wrote:Afaik in my car it only bucks when you're trying to give it some gas to creep through a parking lot in first gear. I don't think I experience it in second gear.
I think that's pretty typical. Most of the cars I've owned would only buck in 1st gear at low speeds (like parking lots, as you said). My current car doesn't buck at all in any gear or any speed.
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

I had a lot of experience with this in snowy bumper to bumper traffic a few days ago. Its because of heavy engine braking in 1st gear, you need to be extra smooth with the throttle.
2012 VW Golf R
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Gearing and throttle response are key factors.

Unlike a traditional automatic, a manual does not have a viscous coupling in the driveline to absorb the shock of abrupt control movements. Smoothly operating all the controls is key to smoothly operating the vehicle. In first gear, the engine has its best leverage and any sloppiness is most apparent.

That said, some vehicles have sufficiently non-linear throttle response that transitioning between no-throttle and light throttle can not be done smoothly. Try to smooth the throttle usage first, but some momentary clutch usage can smooth the transition between no throttle and light throttle for vehicles that are inherently jerky with that transition.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Carbucks?
Jeep Jerky?

Youse guise R meckin me hongry!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

Just give er gas to get to speed then clutch in and coast. Rinse and repeat.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage