Dkaz’s rides

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Dkaz’s rides

Post by DKaz »

So I bought a 94 Mazda MPV, 3.0L V6 automatic... I wanted a cheap second vehicle that had more hauling capabilities and that could comfortably seat 7 people rather than seat 4 comfortably+2 uncomfortably. Plus I've been plagued this year by left knee problems that has left me unable to drive my 5 on three separate occasions for one to two weeks.

So I do not need two minivan-equivalent vehicles. Goodbye, friend, it was a good three and a half years. Hello, Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv!

"It's not the first 40 MPG sedan, it's just the first one worth driving." So far with 75% city driving, I've been averaging 36 MPG (6.5L/100km), better than my 2008 Corolla, and the engine isn't even broken in yet.

Brilliantly loaded as well, I splurged a little and got the luxury package with the power leather seats, but even the base model Skyactiv would've more than suited my needs, heated seats, automatic lights and wipers, Bluetooth, all standard. I lost my automatic climate control which isn't available with this engine in Canada yet, I thought it would be a big deal but I only miss the feature slightly. So fun to drive as well, don't get me wrong the 5 was great but this is the 5 without the body roll from the higher centre of gravity. Overall, I love this car. This is fuel efficient driving without compromise.
Last edited by DKaz on Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: New rides

Post by Squint »

Looks nice! Had a relative with a few year old Mazda 3. It was a nice car when I was in it off and on. Hope the left leg survives :lol:

Also, do you see the faces in the front of the Mazdas? I've always found it easier to spot than other cars, like they put more effort into it.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

The Australians do have a term "prawn" for girls with hot bodies but ugly faces... lol. I kid, well I don't absolutely love the front end but I like it. As for finding it in parking lots, unfortunately Mazda 3's are very popular around here so it doesn't stand out as much.

I don't know if the 5's stiff Exedy Stage 1 clutch had anything to do with my left knee deteriorating. My new 3's clutch is a bit too light, I would've preferred the 2012 Focus' clutch, but it'll probably give me a better chance of making sure my left knee stays healthy enough that I can continue to drive stick until I'm too old and senile to drive anymore.

I'll post a full review of my ride maybe in a month or so, but so far I love the fuel economy, driving dynamics, how everything around the driver is laid out, and omg I love the seats. I don't like how the engine sounds a little raspy during acceleration and the transmission is not as precise as my outgoing 5's, 3rd and 5th gear in particular are very close together. I would've also preferred a lift up ring to go to reverse like the Lexus IS250 and Saab 9-3 I've driven had, rather than push down to go to reverse format.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

DKaz wrote:The Australians do have a term "prawn" for girls with hot bodies but ugly faces... lol.
Around here we call that a "butterface"...because everything is good but her face.
I don't know if the 5's stiff Exedy Stage 1 clutch had anything to do with my left knee deteriorating. My new 3's clutch is a bit too light, I would've preferred the 2012 Focus' clutch, but it'll probably give me a better chance of making sure my left knee stays healthy enough that I can continue to drive stick until I'm too old and senile to drive anymore.
I hope my stiff Cow Stage 1 clutch doesn't punish me the same way.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

Knees are fragile, I suffered my first knee injury when I was 14, midway though a 30km bike ride.

More photos:
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Car looks good, I kind of like that nose. They did a good job with it. The rear lights are the only downfall, but not the worst.

Also hyundai IMO tried to copy this design on their genesis coupe. Not as good looking.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

How does the skyactiv feel in regards to acceleration and briskness?
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

Mazda has had some hit and miss tail ends, I like my 3's, but I might be biased. :)

I haven't really pushed my 3 yet so I'll let you know as I ease my car out of the break in period. It's quick enough for a fuel efficient compact, I expect the 0-60 to be in the low 7s pushing about the same HP and torque as my old 2.3 in the 5 and weighing in at 500lb less. My 5 did 0-60 in 8.1s.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Honda Prelude

Post by comawhite »

I like it. :) I just don't like the steering wheel =\.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I'm a fan of white color on most cars. It has to be the white-white, not pearl white or whatever have you. Clear, crisp white looks great.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

Hey, Jay-Z didn't rap pure-white Lexus, he rapped off-white Lexus. Of course I don't have a Lexus but you know. lol. :mrgreen:

comawhite, what's wrong with my steering wheel? :?
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

I like this car, the more i look at the pics of a real owner on the street, not just the ones that are online. I might go take a look at one tomorrow.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Honda Prelude

Post by comawhite »

DKaz wrote:comawhite, what's wrong with my steering wheel? :?
I don't like it looks like a icicle like how it goes from fat to skinny and the sides on it.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

That's a lot of keys hanging from that steering column...I've done worse, but eventually I realized I prefer key rings separated by purpose, with car keys on a separate carabiner. Do you carry that bundle in your pocket?
comawhite wrote:
DKaz wrote:comawhite, what's wrong with my steering wheel? :?
I don't like it looks like a icicle like how it goes from fat to skinny and the sides on it.
I assume you're talking about the center part, not the round part.

Now that you've got me looking at it, it looks kinda like a chastity bikini to me.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Only on SS...