Dkaz’s rides

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Re: Dkaz’s rides

Post by DKaz »

I do what I can do on my own: suspension, brakes, spark plugs, etc. Things like clutches, belts, bearings, etc. I rely on a mechanic on but I do have a couple of indie mechanics I like and trust. I always intend on keeping things for a long time but I end up going through cars and motorcycles like underwear. I think I like buying cheap vehicles because it just allows me to easily exchange vehicles to suit my needs.

I have a 6000 lb loaded camping trailer for example, I should've bought a tow vehicle but I hate daily driving half ton pickups so I just rent it from UHaul. I might also want to look at hybrids or EVs in the future. The 5's not bad on gas though and gas is a relatively "affordable" $1.15 a litre ($3.34 US per gallon) right now.
potownrob wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:46 am wow, unholy blast from the past!! glad you're doing well and still rocking the mazdas. everytime eye consider a mazda, something happens to take me away. someday, i shall finally have one!! it's funny (and possibly telling) how a lot of canadians rock the FWD cars, while wee muricans are afraid to not have AWD or 4WD. of course, some of you guys up there (in certain provinces) are required to rock the winter tires in the winter, while we don't have any such rules, at least knot here in the northeast. been looking into early cx-5s to replace my 07 altima, but prices on the AWD models are too high, at least in my general region. also have my eye on earlier 2nd gen cr-vs with the Manuel, but they are rare apparently...
Haha, I figured I should try to breathe life back into this forum. We're seeing the same shift towards AWD CUVs in Canada. 10 years ago, compact sedans dominated the passenger vehicle sales charts while now it's half compact sedans and half compact CUVs. In terms of all vehicles, full size pickup trucks are king.

Yea I have dedicated winter tires for both vehicles. My wife pondered getting a compact CUV at some point but after I got her brand new MIchelin X-Ice for her 3, she doesn't want the CUV anymore. The 3 has been well maintained mechanically and we know it'll serve us well for years to come.

AWD CX-5 never came with manual, you'd have to look at Subaru and Jeep for that. The FWD with winter tires should be fine but I know that for example Californian roads up to the mountains require AWD/4WD with no exceptions for winter tires.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

DKaz wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:29 pm I think I like buying cheap vehicles because it just allows me to easily exchange vehicles to suit my needs.
You can buy a LOT of cheap vehicles for the price of one new vehicle. My S10 was $2000. My wifes Mazda 5 was $3500. Even toss in my son and daughter's cars and the total for all four cars is under $14,000! Ha, cheap vehicles are my life story!

CUV? First time I ever heard the term. Probably because I don't read car magazines, well I do, but not MT and such (boring), but rather I read Car Craft, Hot Rod, etc (fascinating).
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

DKaz wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:29 pm
potownrob wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:46 am wow, unholy blast from the past!! glad you're doing well and still rocking the mazdas. everytime eye consider a mazda, something happens to take me away. someday, i shall finally have one!! it's funny (and possibly telling) how a lot of canadians rock the FWD cars, while wee muricans are afraid to not have AWD or 4WD. of course, some of you guys up there (in certain provinces) are required to rock the winter tires in the winter, while we don't have any such rules, at least knot here in the northeast. been looking into early cx-5s to replace my 07 altima, but prices on the AWD models are too high, at least in my general region. also have my eye on earlier 2nd gen cr-vs with the Manuel, but they are rare apparently...
Haha, I figured I should try to breathe life back into this forum. We're seeing the same shift towards AWD CUVs in Canada. 10 years ago, compact sedans dominated the passenger vehicle sales charts while now it's half compact sedans and half compact CUVs. In terms of all vehicles, full size pickup trucks are king.

Yea I have dedicated winter tires for both vehicles. My wife pondered getting a compact CUV at some point but after I got her brand new MIchelin X-Ice for her 3, she doesn't want the CUV anymore. The 3 has been well maintained mechanically and we know it'll serve us well for years to come.

AWD CX-5 never came with manual, you'd have to look at Subaru and Jeep for that. The FWD with winter tires should be fine but I know that for example Californian roads up to the mountains require AWD/4WD with no exceptions for winter tires.
ah, ik zie, meneer...i remember feeling invincible driving my old '12 jetta with firestone winterforces the first year i had them, but they weren't as good the 2nd winter and no other car/tire combo has come close. i am 3/4 retired from driving manuel, i need to disclose to you. i remember finding it outrageous that the cx-5 manual could only be had with FWD, back when it came out way back when (2012?). i hardly drive the altima, maybe once every couple of weeks. that one is a manual, but eye will most likely replace with an auto SUV of some sorts. the altima is more-or-less redundant with my main car being another sedan. i like to store things in it. 3rd gen cr-vs seem to be high on my list based on price/availability/reliability/condition etc.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.