Dkaz’s rides

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Re: New rides

Post by DKaz »

Lol... it's more a jock strap than anything.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

Installed a short shifter kit!

09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

Anyone like my April Fools joke?
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

I had two victims this year. :mrgreen:
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Dkaz’s rides

Post by DKaz »

Hi, I’m back. Still have the Mazda 3 which is my wife’s, coming on 8 years with 176k km (110k mi) on it. Have had a number of second cars and motorcycles along the way, sometimes both at the same time. Three other minivans, a 1/2 ton SUV, a manual hatchback, 3 scooters, 3 motorcycles, Now I’m back to the car I traded in for the 3 (not the exact same one), an 09 Mazda 5 GS. I was looking for a second gen GT with the 2.5L and 6MT but for $1500, I could love this one too. Needs new shocks which are on order plus a new windshield.

Here are some photos, it was a little dirty when I picked her up, haven’t had any time to clean it yet.

First task on the way home, picked up a chest freezer from Costco. The footprint is the exact same as the Mazda 3 but space wise it packs a good punch.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

"I love a vehicle that's being well utilized", said the man that wunce loaded 27 yards of sod into his Vega GT Hatchback and then drove it the 5 miles home riding on the suspension bumpstops.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:17 pm "I love a vehicle that's being well utilized", said the man that wunce loaded 27 yards of sod into his Vega GT Hatchback and then drove it the 5 miles home riding on the suspension bumpstops.
Surprised it didn't end up like this guy's car.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

No, is had sod rolls up front in passenger's footwell, on passenger seat, in rear seat footwells, and with rear seat folded down laying on load floor all the way to back of front seats, so weight was more evenly distributed than in the photo you showed.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:10 pm No, is had sod rolls up front in passenger's footwell, on passenger seat, in rear seat footwells, and with rear seat folded down laying on load floor all the way to back of front seats, so weight was more evenly distributed than in the photo you showed.
Ah, smart, or at least not half as dumb as the guy with the load of wood.

Back in the 1980s I had a econo F150 4.9L with 5 speed OD and 2.43 (somewheres thereabouts) rear end. That thing was NOT made for work. Anyway, we cut down a healthy (read very green and heavy) Siberian elm, maybe 10-inch diameter tree. Put all the wood in back to level with the bed sides. That thing had automotive radial tires and the differential case was sitting only a couple inches or so off the ground! We should have an overloaded pickup truck thread with photos. Might be a real hoot. One thing about an overloaded pickup. They steer like a barge. Front end wanders all over the place.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

I put about 2,200 lb of cinder block in my old Mazda 5 lol.

I've been averaging 27.5 MPG on my current 5 vs. 25 MPG on my old 2007. They did something in 08 to squeeze an extra 2 or 3 MPG out of the engine and while I was skeptical at first, the numbers are showing it. Not far off from the wife's Mazda 3 which has a better engine and weighs 500 lb less.

I replaced the rear shocks with KYB Gas-A-Just and engine oil with Amsoil XL 12,000 mile oil. Rides a lot better although I think I need to tackle some bushings and possibly end links to tighten it up even further. Oil, I hate doing oil changes and it's even worse on the 1st gen Mazda 5. The oil filter hole in the undertray doesn't line up with the oil filter, meaning I have to completely remove it to change the oil. Once a year oil changes? Sounds excellent to me.

09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

DKaz wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:23 am I put about 2,200 lb of cinder block in my old Mazda 5 lol.

I've been averaging 27.5 MPG on my current 5 vs. 25 MPG on my old 2007. They did something in 08 to squeeze an extra 2 or 3 MPG out of the engine and while I was skeptical at first, the numbers are showing it. Not far off from the wife's Mazda 3 which has a better engine and weighs 500 lb less.

I replaced the rear shocks with KYB Gas-A-Just and engine oil with Amsoil XL 12,000 mile oil. Rides a lot better although I think I need to tackle some bushings and possibly end links to tighten it up even further. Oil, I hate doing oil changes and it's even worse on the 1st gen Mazda 5. The oil filter hole in the undertray doesn't line up with the oil filter, meaning I have to completely remove it to change the oil. Once a year oil changes? Sounds excellent to me.

Myself and the vast hoards of members visiting daily are rejoicing in the fact that you ended your suspension of posts and started your posts of suspension. Yes, new dampers, bushings, tie-rod ends, ball joints, etc. sure can make a vehicle ride quietly and smoothly, if even a bit more sportingly.
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

It's been a little quiet here lately unlike my suspension system, I figured I should contribute something. It's sad that after a short lived revival around the start of the last recession, the manual transmission is dying at an even quicker pace.

Yea I'll just replace it all, well eventually. There's also a spot of rust visible in the rear fender. I'm considerring nipping that in the bud and keeping the car for as long as I can.

Oh and we still have the 3 which is my wife's car. I recently upgraded the head unit with an Eonon unit that runs Android and supports Apple Carplay, and finally got her the backup camera she's been asking for since forever. She still loves the car and sees no reason to get something newer, especially now that I put some of the latest tech into her car.

09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

wow, unholy blast from the past!! glad you're doing well and still rocking the mazdas. everytime eye consider a mazda, something happens to take me away. someday, i shall finally have one!! it's funny (and possibly telling) how a lot of canadians rock the FWD cars, while wee muricans are afraid to not have AWD or 4WD. of course, some of you guys up there (in certain provinces) are required to rock the winter tires in the winter, while we don't have any such rules, at least knot here in the northeast. been looking into early cx-5s to replace my 07 altima, but prices on the AWD models are too high, at least in my general region. also have my eye on earlier 2nd gen cr-vs with the Manuel, but they are rare apparently...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

DKaz wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:21 pm It's been a little quiet here lately unlike my suspension system, I figured I should contribute something. It's sad that after a short lived revival around the start of the last recession, the manual transmission is dying at an even quicker pace.

Yea I'll just replace it all, well eventually. There's also a spot of rust visible in the rear fender. I'm considerring nipping that in the bud and keeping the car for as long as I can.

Oh and we still have the 3 which is my wife's car. I recently upgraded the head unit with an Eonon unit that runs Android and supports Apple Carplay, and finally got her the backup camera she's been asking for since forever. She still loves the car and sees no reason to get something newer, especially now that I put some of the latest tech into her car.

Especially when you provide your own labor, for the price of one or two new car payments you can do a lot of maintenance and/or upgrading on an "Experienced" vehicle. With the average age of vehicles on US roads being 11.5 years, it's quite evident that many people intend to drive their vehicle until the wheels fall off.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDKCal8QqEY[/youtube]