Viper 5th gear ratio change nets new track record.

All the news that's fit to shift.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Viper 5th gear ratio change nets new track record.

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Viper SRT10 ACR recaptures lap record at Laguna Seca
Posted on Wednesday, November 25th, 2009 at 9:44 AM EST.

The Street and Racing Technology (SRT) team from Chrysler Group LLC arrived at Laguna Seca raceway yesterday on a mission—to recapture the production car lap record at the world-renowned road course in Monterey, Calif. Mission accomplished.

Chris Winkler, an SRT vehicle dynamics engineer piloted a black and red 2010 Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR (American Club Racer) to a lap record of 1:33.915 as recorded by Motech in-vehicle data recorder (1:33.944 – as unofficially recorded by trackside clock) around the 2.238-mile, 11-turn course, shattering the previous lap record by more than 1.1 seconds.

“It was definitely exciting but a somewhat uneventful lap overall from behind the steering wheel,” said Winkler, who is still learning the intricate details of Laguna Seca raceway, having spent only one other session on the course. “The Dodge Viper ACR has amazing power and handles like a dream, so following my first practice here last month, I came away pretty confident that we’d be able to set a new record.”

In 2008, professional road racer Randy Pobst, drove a 2008 Dodge Viper ACR to a one-lap, production car record of 1:35.117 at Laguna Seca raceway while working with Motor Trend magazine. That record stood until Aug. 6, 2009, when the most recent record of 1:35.075 was established by a one-off exotic prototype.

Ralph Gilles, President and CEO, Dodge Brand and Senior Vice President, Product Design Office, was impressed with the Viper’s performance. “I’ve been closely tied to this car my entire career and even after owning one myself for some time, I’m still amazed with what the Dodge Viper can do on and off the race track,” Gilles said. “After our record-setting lap at the Nürburgring circuit, we’re excited to set a second performance benchmark record at another world-famous road course.”

The Dodge Viper is going into the final year of production for the current-generation model. Approximately 500 Viper cars will be produced in 2010.

“We’re going to keep Dodge’s performance icon alive and well by not only producing some of the most special Vipers ever built, but we’re also investigating what the next-generation Viper is going to be,” Gilles added. “When we have partners across the ocean who are known as the best sports carmakers in the world, the future opportunities are huge.”

New for the 2010 model year is a shorter fifth gear ratio (changing from 0.74 to 0.80) for improved high-speed acceleration and higher straightaway speeds. This improvement is a direct result of SRT’s experience at the 12.9-mile Nürburgring Nordschleife circuit in Germany where during the lap-record run in 2008, it was found that a revised gear ratio would have resulted in a higher speed capability and potentially a shorter elapsed time.

The Dodge Viper ACR also receives a new short-throw shifter in 2010 for enhanced driver experience and better performance. The rear wing profile and end plates are redesigned to further optimize the vehicle aerodynamics and improve rear yaw downforce. These changes result in an increase in top speed of 4 mph (to 184 mph).

Powered by the venerable 8.4-liter, V-10 engine with 600 horsepower and 560 lb.-ft. of torque, the Dodge Viper ACR continues to offer extreme performance, including 0-60 mph acceleration in less than 4 seconds, quarter-mile time in the mid 11-second range and 0-100-0 mph in 11 seconds flat.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Re: Viper 5th gear ratio change nets new track record.

Post by Rope-Pusher »

RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

So now it's time to swap the new Viper drivetrain into the Devon GTX and let it take another crack at the record! That was a cool cool chiiiiiiiillll video. And it makes me believe even moreso that racing that track in Forza gives me actual valid practice time. Someday I'm bringing my car up there for a track day.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

RITmusic2k wrote: Someday I'm bringing my car up there for a track day.
+1
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I would love to have a track day at Laguna Seca. That would be quite awesome.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

My buddy is a pit manager at Laguna Seca :twisted: He's got to have some kind of 'in' for me, I'm thinkin'.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

RITmusic2k wrote:My buddy is a pit manager at Laguna Seca :twisted: He's got to have some kind of 'in' for me, I'm thinkin'.
I hope he doesn't have some kind of him in you. :shock:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Those short little parking spaces they expect you to pull into at racing speeds are the pits.
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

Good luck to you guys. I tried to see about an open track day a few years ago, they don't exist. A car club will rent the track for a day, but I have no idea who's renting it right now. :?
RITmusic2k wrote:My buddy is a pit manager at Laguna Seca :twisted: He's got to have some kind of 'in' for me, I'm thinkin'.
If so, can you hook me up?

On topic: I still can't wrap my head around an 8.4L street car engine. :shock:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^ I still think the guy who skate boarded down the stairway handrail and into the lower parking lot and was promptly run over by a passing car had bigger balz / less brainze. There are some activities where the probablility of getting seriously hurt is greater than one. As all statisticians know, this doesn't mean it is guaranteed that you will get maimed, but that on the average you will get semi or completely killed. For every time someone performs one of these feats and doesn't get hurt at all, there is some person who gets it twice (Or several people who get 1.333 x killed).