My car used to be quick

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T 5speed

My car used to be quick

Post by mesaboogie18 »

But now it's FAST! I just got chipped with REVO stage II and the difference is like night and day. The stage 2 makes good use of my intake and turbo back exhaust and all together helps my car put out around 240hp and 250lb/ft tq. I also got a Forge DV put in and now my car makes a really loud blow off sound, almost like a true blow-off valve. I'm pretty happy with my car so far. Next mod will be suspension. I'm going to get some H&R coilovers and drop it like it's hot. Then, minor little cosmetic things and my car will be perfect the way I want it. So the chip upped my car by about 30hp or so and 80lb/ft of torque. My rev limiter was also upped from 6500rpms to 7200rpms so I can hit redline without fear of hurting anything. I'd say that my car now feels faster than the 09 Mustang GT 6speed that I drove a while back (there's no replacement for displacement, but you can't forget about power/weight ratio!), but not quite as fast as the LS1 Trans Am I drove even longer ago. Let's just say my car now has enough inertia to push me back into my seats and that puts a big smile on my face. I'm just really excited about my mods so far and I just have to rant. I've always wanted a fast car and now I got one. 8)

Mods so far:
-REVO stage II software
-2.5 inch turboback exhaust with Borla muffler
-Short ram intake
-Forge Diverter Valve
-NGK gapped spark plugs
-Bosch 4bar fuel pressure regulator
-Dunlop Direzza Z101 225/45/17 tires
-Carbon Fiber engine cover
-Febreeze vent air freshener (Tropical Moment scent)

Mods to come:
-Boost gauge
-H&R coilovers
-Window tint
-Clear or smoked front bumper turn signal markers
-Angel eyes with HID bulbs
-Front Mount Intercooler (later on down the road)
-Rubber ball sack to hang on tow hitch
Last edited by mesaboogie18 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

"Forgiveness is between them and God...I arrange the meeting"
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Re: My car used to be quick

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Sweet. Wish I could drive it. Drove my friend's bone stock 20th ae GTI and it was quite nice, yours would be a blast :D
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

nice!

man you got on the mod bandwagon quick with this car. glad to hear you're enjoying it.
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

Yep, I bought this car with the full intention of modding it. I specifically chose the GTI 1.8T b/c you can make so much power for so little $$$. It is definitely a blast to drive. The MKV GTI's however are even more insane when it comes to modding. You can make 250hp and 280lb/ft torque with a chip alone. That's more than I make with the chip AND full exhaust.
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2013 Ford Fiesta

Post by comingbackdown »

mesaboogie18 wrote: -Rubber ball sack to hang on tow hitch
I love the whole mods list. Nice work, and keep it up.

However, I must say somethng about the above.

I wholeheartedly approve.
2013 Ford Fiesta + a bike and a land yacht which are in pieces.
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

slam that bish! and get some 10" wide rims. HELLAFLUSH. :D
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

Oh trust me, I will be slamming my dub. I'm also going to get some spacers so I can get my wheels even with the fenders or maybe even have them sticking out a bit, like this:

2004 VW GTI 1.8T

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

In my opinion, the picture above represents all non-practical fad mods the Dubs are known for.

- stretched tires
- poking rims
- fender rub
- staggered setup wider in the back than the front. wider rear tires on a FWD, really?

My suggestion: keep the lowering mild, do not poke tires, especially on stock wheels. If you're gonna go aftermarket keep them simple. Don't buy into the whole BBS RS fad either. You gotta keep the car clean. The one pic above isn't clean.

Besides, what's the point of having a fast Dub when you're gonna slam it's balls on the ground and it won't handle worth a shit?

I'm not trying to slam (pun intended) you or your car. I just hate to see a car go from practical to non-practical and have it's performance reduced just to meet certain visual "requirements" set by the Dubber world. Look into OEM+. It's a very clean modding style and looks best on Dubs. Your car will be admired by all enthusiasts rather than just part of the Dub crowd, not to mention being practical.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I would also suggest against angel eyes that you mentioned in your wish list. It's not going to look clean.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

i agree with tony. keep it looking as is, just invest in better suspension parts and you'll have a mean ass dub.

don't follow the crowd, your car looks perfect now.

aside from the suspension, i would go with HIDs, minus angel eyes - those are meant for bimmers. keep the wheels and put that dough towards the FMIC.

don't get me wrong, i don't mean any disrespect.

you are living out my dream: driving a modded GTI and living in hawaii. i envy you :evil:
Last edited by vedran on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Seems like you're doing a great job.
Remember that everything can be taken too far.

Performance mods = good
Visual mods that affect performance for the worse = bad.

Anyway do what makes you happy. Thanks for the updates! When I saw the title I thought someone was going to be complaining about loss of performance. :lol:
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

vedran wrote:FMIC
This.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

bigger turbo and proper FMIC. your making more boost now and more power so now your tiny stock turbo is basically a hairdryer blowing scorching hot air into the engine.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:In my opinion, the picture above represents all non-practical fad mods the Dubs are known for.

- stretched tires
- poking rims
- fender rub
- staggered setup wider in the back than the front. wider rear tires on a FWD, really?
You forgot one: The tires have been replaced with rubberized paint.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's nice to hear from fellow dubbers too that don't follow the "cool kids" in the dub scene when it comes to slamming the car. I'm not going to slam it as low as the one in the pic. I'm just going to get rid of a lot of the wheel gap and keep it looking aggressive. I still want to do spacers just to keep the wheels in line with the fenders, but I'm not gonna poke 'em out or stretch my tires. I'm going to keep the stock rims b/c they are already 17's and they match my car. I do want angel eyes. I realize they are for bimmers, but they look nice on dubs too IMHO. Besides, the stock headlights get hazed over. I've already replaced my stock ones for some new ones so I want to get some glass headlights and if I'm going to spend the extra money on them, I might as well get angels. Besides, the angel eyes I want are HID capable so I just need to buy the bulbs. I want my car to remain practical and clean looking, but with a faint touch of personalization. Oh and BTW, I bought a reflex silver 337 rear valence from a guy here for very cheap and I'll be putting that on soon. It'll look nice and fit my single exhaust tip better. Once again, thanks for the input guys and I'll definitely keep you posted as I continue to mod the dub. :)
2004 VW GTI 1.8T