Trading in a new car ?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!

Should I replace my 04 Galant LS with a new Lancer Ralliart ?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:20 am

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 9

OzZyMaN2438
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Mits Evo MR

Trading in a new car ?

Post by OzZyMaN2438 »

Ok I am considering trading in my Galant LS for a new Lancer Ralliart

Here are my reasons-in order of importance
1-Cheaper to insure
2-better gas mileage and doesnt require premium
3-It has a 5spd and I really want to master driving those things and have fun with it
4-It has alloy rims,a sunroof,a 315w stereo system with a subwoofer in the trunk...mainly some things that I would have spent a lot more money on installing in the Galant later

Performance on these two cars is almost identical, with the Galant being only a 10th of a second faster to 60, but a little slower in the 1320.

I realize that its not smart to buy a new car and then trade it in for another car, especially a slightly cheaper one, as you will go in the hole financially...But I think that I will have more fun with this car and that I will save money in the long run.

Any comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. the monthly payments would be about the same
2010 Evo X MR- Rally Red :http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3863366
game_tip
Senior Standardshifter

Post by game_tip »

yeah man i'd say go for it, since your Galant is automatic anyways
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

I would say yes but the Galant is a bigger car. Make sure you don't need the extra room before you part w/ it.

Also, I think the Ralliart's engine is way too big w/ way too much torque for developing proper clutch techinque. May I also suggest the Corolla XRS and the base Mini?
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

What the hell?!?!

1. I can kind of see the cheaper to insure part, since the Ralliart ain't no Evo, but I still woulda thought a boring family car like the Galant would be the same or slightly cheaper.

2. The Galant requires premium?! That's pretty crazy, considering that most people don't see the Galant as a performance model.

4. Don't trust that 315w rating... OEM stereos generally suck for real music, except for maybe Scion. They're overrated and distort bad. Yu don't get what you pay for w/ many of those systems. Facotry Alloys are usually nice, but I still prefer to get my own elsewhere for cheaper, and in bigger sizes.

I really think this is a bad idea... they say a car loses half its value when you drive it off the lot... you will not get much of your money back, if they have their way. Also don't see how you'll save money in the long run... maintenance should be similar on both, and the dealer will screw you over on the new car purchase price, the trade-in value, or both. I would only suggest it if you are a VERY good negotiatot and know what you're doing... otherwise, you'll get screwed bad.
StandardShifterMz3s
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Trading in a new car ?

Post by StandardShifterMz3s »

OzZyMaN2438 wrote:Ok I am considering trading in my Galant LS for a new Lancer Ralliart

Here are my reasons-in order of importance
1-Cheaper to insure
2-better gas mileage and doesnt require premium
3-It has a 5spd and I really want to master driving those things and have fun with it
4-It has alloy rims,a sunroof,a 315w stereo system with a subwoofer in the trunk...mainly some things that I would have spent a lot more money on installing in the Galant later

Performance on these two cars is almost identical, with the Galant being only a 10th of a second faster to 60, but a little slower in the 1320.

I realize that its not smart to buy a new car and then trade it in for another car, especially a slightly cheaper one, as you will go in the hole financially...But I think that I will have more fun with this car and that I will save money in the long run.

Any comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. the monthly payments would be about the same
SERIOUSLY.........think AGAIN before you make this BOLD move.

Although you've outlined the aspects that you're interested in with the Lancer....are you willing to LOSE perhaps 5Gs on the trade in with the Gallant? Is the Gallant that bad?.... That's why when making a NEW car purchase......one should REALLY condier ALL options.... didn't you know you want these characteristics at the time of purchase?

I guess NOT........well..... you're gonna have to literally PAY for it now.....

My best advise to you is to live with the Gallant for at least 3 years.... (go check the depreciation value of this car..... most new cars lose a significant amount in the first year compared to the next few years of their life).

Then after which.... you could trade it in....and also you'll then get a good price on the LANCE you wanted......just remember.... BIG mistake to go trade in a BRAND NEW car you just bought.....perhaps you have the negotiating skills.....Good Luck!
Whisper Softly: --> Zoom-Zoom...
GonePostal
Junior Standardshifter

Post by GonePostal »

Ralliart sucks.... I am sorry :( You are losing too much money and getting too little in return
Xk0rEaNb0iX
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Xk0rEaNb0iX »

the galant doesn't require premium octane gas. if they tell you that in the owner's manual, don't believe it. :lol:
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

If you're trading in the Galant for something like Accord or Camry, I would have objected since you already have a car that serves your needs.

But when you're trading in a Galant for a smaller, more nimble car like the Lancer, that's a emotional buy. I'm not going to say whether an emotional purchase makes sense financially. I don't see people in Ferarris or Porsches having to justify their purchases when they could have bought a faster Corvette.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

The V6 in the Galant is a premium fuel engine.

Worst case, running 87 in a premium fuel engine, the car might not have a knock sensor and pings like mad, potentially doing major engine damage if you leave it like that.

Best case, the car might have a knock sensor and greatly retards the timing, hurting fuel economy and power.
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

scionkid wrote:If you're trading in the Galant for something like Accord or Camry, I would have objected since you already have a car that serves your needs.

But when you're trading in a Galant for a smaller, more nimble car like the Lancer, that's a emotional buy. I'm not going to say whether an emotional purchase makes sense financially. I don't see people in Ferarris or Porsches having to justify their purchases when they could have bought a faster Corvette.
That's fine, except for the fact that he's already bought the Porsche, and he's trading it in for the Corvette right after buying it. I object simply because he's losing too much money. Even if he's filthy rich and has no problem lsoing the money, it woud still have been a better idea to purchase a nicer car in the first place.

Maybe I just don't get excited enough thinking about the Lancer Ralliart. It's the Evo that gets my blood pumpin'.
OzZyMaN2438
Senior Standardshifter

Post by OzZyMaN2438 »

I test drove both the Galant and the Lancer when I bought it. I liked them both, but the engine in the Galant, the body style, gorgeous colors, and the acceleration in a four door sporty sedan turned me on to it more. I thought the Lancer was a blast to drive, but it was tough to imagine myself in a potential ricer-car at the time.

Now I wish I had bought a car with a stick, and one that had smaller payments/insurance/better gas mileage. The Adaptive Shift Control in the Galant is cool, but if you give it hell, it flat sux up gas. I know thats the case with any car, but it seems like especially in mine. Now I wonder if the Galant is the right car for a 20yr old dude...if the Ralliart would be more "me". The Galant is way classier though. Which do you think appeals more to the opposite sex ?

Would you guys have bought the Galant LS over the Lancer Ralliart if you were in my shoes ?
OzZyMaN2438
Senior Standardshifter

Post by OzZyMaN2438 »

Another thing that might change this thing completely...lol i should have mentioned this. The guy told me I would get over $3000 back due to unused warranties,counceling (whatever that means)...etc,etc....I'm not sure why I get this money....but ok.
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

I chose a Firebird over much more refined cars like the 300C, Legacy GT, and Magnum because I felt a more impractical would suit my age better, so I think you can guess what my choice would be. :)

However... I really like the old Galant VR-4 for its performance capabilities, and I REALLY like the Galant's new styling. If I was looking at cars in that class, i.e. Camry and Accord, I would choose either that or the Mazda 6. I personally am not a big fan of the Lancer in its non-Evo incarnations, and it is kind of a ricer car.

Are you loyal to Mitsu for some reason?

I don't know what kind of crowd you hang out with exactly, because that would factor heavily into which car would appeal more to the opposite sex, if it even matters. Most of the dorm folks in my school didn't really care, as long as you had a ride. :)
StandardShifterMz3s
Senior Standardshifter

Post by StandardShifterMz3s »

First of all, I'm sure everyone who's quite knowledgeable about cars would know that cars are classified in different categories. Economy, Compact, Mid-Size, Full-Size....etc....

Now the Gallant is perhaps a Mid-size Family Sedan...competing with others like Camry, Accor Mazda6...etc.... Key word..... Family sedan.....

For a 20 year old....... the Sportiest there is possibly the Mazda6...which I would have choosen......

NO...the Gallant doesn't suit a 20 year old.....unless you're planning on a family very soon.....

See my car..... I realized the I needed a bit more space than a two-door car..... but I didn't want to compromise Sportiness..... Styling.... Practicality...Interior features.... etc..... so far I'm just loving the Mazda3.....couldn't be happier......

I considered: RSX, '05 Mustang..etc!!!
Whisper Softly: --> Zoom-Zoom...
Akuma
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Akuma »

Why mitsubishis???

I'd rather go with mazda...if I had to pick from the bottom of the barrel anyways....

Reason being that even though mazda's owned by ford, they still manufacter their four cylinder engines themselves. And mitsubishi/chrysler (yes, technically the same company) have been plagued with recalls, bad trannies, poor manufactering and poor reliability. I wouldn't even think about purchasing a mitsubishi even after having the chance to drive the evolution 3, 4, and 8.
The drifting Nissan guy.