Anti-spybot protocols

About the forum and Standardshift.com.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I just may have found a possible solution.

I signed up for a motorcycle forum because I want to learn more about them and stuff, and their registration, they use phpBB also, and you have to enter a VIP code, and they give you a link on the page, but its not a hyperlink, its just a plain address, so you have to copy and paste it, and then it shows you the number, which changes like every so often, and then you type it in in the registration thing.

I don't know if that will work, but its just a thought.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

eaglecatcher wrote:I just may have found a possible solution.

I signed up for a motorcycle forum because I want to learn more about them and stuff, and their registration, they use phpBB also, and you have to enter a VIP code, and they give you a link on the page, but its not a hyperlink, its just a plain address, so you have to copy and paste it, and then it shows you the number, which changes like every so often, and then you type it in in the registration thing.

I don't know if that will work, but its just a thought.
That falls under the "you lose half your users due to stupid crap" category.

There are way more easier ways for the user to be able to sign up while still getting proper spybot prevention.

IPB 2.2 has an awesome system that allows for CAPTCHA customization of backgrounds, fonts, etc.

Haven't gotten ONE bot, when I use to get a few a week.

Remember, it's about confusing computer bots (people that fill out forms to spam will still easily get around anything), while not making it too much of a bother for someone to sign up. Too many steps or stupid things/confusing things and they'll just leave.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

I haven't seen a lot of bots on here lately - so few in fact that the "Challenge" to catch bots has diminished quite a bit. We're always working on keeping the forum as clean as possible for ya'll. In the meantime, keep reporting those bad threads and we'll delete them ASAP. :)
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

Johnf514 wrote:I haven't seen a lot of bots on here lately - so few in fact that the "Challenge" to catch bots has diminished quite a bit. We're always working on keeping the forum as clean as possible for ya'll. In the meantime, keep reporting those bad threads and we'll delete them ASAP. :)
I haven't seen many post, but I've seen about 3 create an account.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

oh there's at least 10 new spambots registered when I just checked...

//primes fingers for spambot pwnage :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

Is it cheating if I sign up spambots to catch?
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

Warner wrote:
Johnf514 wrote:I haven't seen a lot of bots on here lately - so few in fact that the "Challenge" to catch bots has diminished quite a bit. We're always working on keeping the forum as clean as possible for ya'll. In the meantime, keep reporting those bad threads and we'll delete them ASAP. :)
I haven't seen many post, but I've seen about 3 create an account.
I've noticed that too. new ones sign up all the time, but they don't ever post.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs