Threads marked read / not read

About the forum and Standardshift.com.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

eaglecatcher wrote:lots of times, I will log on, browse about 2 topics, and have to leave, and then I exit out, and when I sign back on, it says they were all read,

DAMN GREMLINS!!!!!
I think its like htat.. as long as you log in and log out, it will mark all your threads as read... I dunno if the software is suppose to be like this or if its a glitch, but it happens to me too.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Stay logged in! :lol:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

ok i think i have figured this behavior out. well sort of. i think i know what it is but not why or how exactly.

it seems to have something messing up in the session cookie. sometimes logging in and out works, but sometimes not. sometimes closing and restarting the browser works. but clearing the session cookie directly seems to do the trick. you can clear just session cookies with the web developer toolbar firefox extension, or you can just clear all cookies. it will mark all the current posts as read.

just thought i'd share.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
violinandbass87

Post by violinandbass87 »

now i'm having this problem...:(

:cry: silly forum!
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Make sure after you have read the specific thread you are in to hit the refresh button (or F5) until the orange marks on each post disappear. That should solve the problem.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
violinandbass87

10x and its not helping...i'll just deal w/ it...it should go away, right???

i have too much to do (write a speech) to "waste time" reloading pages...lol

sometimes, pages won't load...:(
violinandbass87

is it a problem w/ my computer, the web, or the forums? jw
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

It's not a problem with any of them, or rather, a small problem with all of them combined. The way the forum determines your new posts, your/SS's Internet connection (page no-loads), and the way your browser works (page caching).

phpBB has an extremely weird way of determining what you have read or not (it actually doesn't, read on). Basically, it takes the time you were last on, takes the current time, then marks all posts made in between those times that you have not read yet as "new." It only does this once. Once you read the topic (not posts, topics) it marks it as "not new" (that is important to note, it's "not new", not "read"). If you close the browser or log out, then revisit SS, it repeats the "marking" process: Takes the time you were last on (10 seconds ago), takes the current time, marks all the posts made within that time "new" (which is none), and thus, you have this "problem." It is based on time, not whether you've read it or not. Think of it this way: those orange icons mark what is new since your last visit, not unread items.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
violinandbass87

jomotopia wrote:ok i think i have figured this behavior out. well sort of. i think i know what it is but not why or how exactly.

it seems to have something messing up in the session cookie. sometimes logging in and out works, but sometimes not. sometimes closing and restarting the browser works. but clearing the session cookie directly seems to do the trick. you can clear just session cookies with the web developer toolbar firefox extension, or you can just clear all cookies. it will mark all the current posts as read.

just thought i'd share.
jomo, what will clearing all cookies do? what do cookies do online?

hmmmm i want a cookie
*ambles off in search of cookies to eat...*
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

It's PHPBB... :P