CC or subtitle

About the forum and Standardshift.com.
eRad
Junior Standardshifter

Post by eRad »

Krakilin wrote:Wow, I actually didn't know people who are deaf are allowed to drive...
I can kind of see where he's coming from with the perspective, though. Renders a horn pretty much useless, which could potentially open up lots of chances for accidents that could have been avoided.

Then again, if you're driving a 5spd, you're probably already paying more than enough attention to the road, heh.
STidriver06
Junior Standardshifter

Post by STidriver06 »

Sypher wrote:
Oh, by no means am I saying that deaf people are lifeless. I am just saying that I am surprised to know that you are hearing impaired.
u say deaf people are lifeless?? don't think so, i do have live..

also i can drive, i drive rencetly. my mom love me when i go drive wiht her
she say i very msooth drive but still little speed. i love speed ;-)

ps: oo cool that u have hearing aids.. to cruder, and u still do sign launague?
DEAF DUDE
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

:shock: No no no STidriver06, he said "by no means am I saying that deaf people are lifeless" means he DIDN'T say that deaf people are lifeless in any way (phew...).
STidriver06
Junior Standardshifter

Post by STidriver06 »

oh peace, not see he say didn't, sorry bud. :oops:

also i was very sleephead now also rencelty arrive home from highschool..
DEAF DUDE
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

eRad wrote:
Krakilin wrote:Wow, I actually didn't know people who are deaf are allowed to drive...
I can kind of see where he's coming from with the perspective, though. Renders a horn pretty much useless, which could potentially open up lots of chances for accidents that could have been avoided.

Then again, if you're driving a 5spd, you're probably already paying more than enough attention to the road, heh.
I think there are noise-activated lights that can be installed to let them know to look around for other cars, ambulances, cops et cetera. One of my assistant scoutmasters back in the day sold his manual dodge pickup to a deaf kid. I too had a hard time picturing a deaf person driving, let alone a manual. The truck didn't even have a tach... That was when I found out about the light they were gonna install. I don't know what it's like to be blind or deaf, but I've heard that the senses you do have are keener to make up for the lost sense. Any insight on that?
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
STidriver06
Junior Standardshifter

Post by STidriver06 »

oo really? hmm i don't see any like that but i hear that deaf people are most that have good visual than hearing.. that what i hear from other people.. i agree cuz deaf use their eyes to see thing and feel.. sometime talk.. hearing use most with their ears and talk so that why there eyes are still not good careful to watch thing happens. i alway see something happen sudden
DEAF DUDE
STidriver06
Junior Standardshifter

Post by STidriver06 »

so anyway, we out of point view.. i am talk about caption or subtitles.. so are anyone try put it in videos yet?
DEAF DUDE
Tiamat
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Tiamat »

Ummm... It's going to be a bitch to do, I think. I know it takes some serious time and possibly some special programs. On the other hand, it might just take a special player and a crap-load of work on someone's part to transcribe and time it. If I have time this weekend, I'll look into it but no promises.

*Goes to hunt down her friends who fansub*
Cruel Night
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Subaru Forester

Post by Cruel Night »

STidriver06 wrote: ps: oo cool that u have hearing aids.. to cruder, and u still do sign launague?
I know sign, but i never needed it to communicate because my impairment was caught early, and in addition i was placed into speech therapy, thus i learned how to speak properly, despite being at an older age.
2005 Saturn Ion 3
~Resident Drag Queen~
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Tiamat wrote:Ummm... It's going to be a bitch to do, I think. I know it takes some serious time and possibly some special programs. On the other hand, it might just take a special player and a crap-load of work on someone's part to transcribe and time it. If I have time this weekend, I'll look into it but no promises.

*Goes to hunt down her friends who fansub*
Couldn't you just display the spoken words at the bottom of the videos when they are said? I can't imagine that being terribly hard, you'd just need to transcribe the video first.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
STidriver06
Junior Standardshifter

Post by STidriver06 »

oo alright.. yea it hard to do that but it worth for us to uderstand what man say if we are hearing imapired
DEAF DUDE
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Exactly. We're out there to help everyone and anyone drive stick, and anything we can do to help you is our pleasure. Just to let you know, I forwarded this suggestion to the site admin., so hopefully we can get those videos worked on. :D
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
STidriver06
Junior Standardshifter

Post by STidriver06 »

yea ofc :P
DEAF DUDE
STidriver06
Junior Standardshifter

fyi

Post by STidriver06 »

i rencetly pmed admin about this suggest
DEAF DUDE
skabbo
Junior Standardshifter

Post by skabbo »

Looking at the video section, there is quite a bit of video that would have to be transcribed. Good coincidence though, I work in television video editing, specifically V-Chipping and CC'ing programs before they air. There's a couple problems though.

Firstly, we arent usually the ones who transcribe the video, we just strip the captions to the program. Second, the process of laying the captioning onto the video is done in real-time by a program, as the video plays. Meaning we don't physically 'place' the words on the video.

However, if there is one or two specific videos on the site that you're particularly interested in (launching, DCing, etc), I could transcribe them and layer the text onto the existing video in Avid. This would create a new video file that would then need to be hosted somewhere, but if anyone has any suggestions on this I'd be willing to give this a shot.
'96 Saab 900 SE Turbo 5-speed