Why is it bad to start the engine in gear?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
soresu
Junior Standardshifter

Post by soresu »

Actually I should rewrite the second one. I only stall when I'm at a complete stop and I want to start the car again. Therefore the car is already in first gear. So

2 should be
stall -> press clutch -> start -> go

Yea, much easier for me.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

If you stall in traffic, you would most likely be in first gear. Just clutch in and start it up, then launch as usual. No need to go back to neutral in that situation because you are fully aware of what you are doing at that point.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

six wrote:If you stall in traffic, you would most likely be in first gear. Just clutch in and start it up, then launch as usual. No need to go back to neutral in that situation because you are fully aware of what you are doing at that point.
+1 That's what I do when I stall.. last thing you want is to keep people waiting by putting it back in neutral... or is it... :lol:
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Post by Prodigal Son »

soresu wrote: stall -> press clutch -> start -> go
For safety,

stall -> set hand brake -> press clutch -> start -> go, releasing hand brake as you launch.

When you stall, you may not always be aware of whether or not you are on a grade. If you clutch in without some form of braking, you may roll backwards or foreward with regretable consequences. You could use the foot brake, but your right leg needs to be ready on the gas for a quick restart, so using the hand brake give your foot one less thing to do.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
PureLife
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '98 BMW 323is (2.8)

Post by PureLife »

I would seriously hate to stall on a really high grade ... because I would not be concious enough to remember the handbrake before I tried to set off again. :lol:
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Post by Prodigal Son »

PureLife wrote:I would seriously hate to stall on a really high grade ... because I would not be concious enough to remember the handbrake before I tried to set off again. :lol:
Yet another reason to make the use of the hand brake a regurlar habit. :D
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
JlNba ittai
Junior Standardshifter

Post by JlNba ittai »

jvf1mikey wrote:I've read (back in my VW owner's manual) that it's also harder on the starter motor when you fire up the engine while in gear vs. in neutral.
Actually... I read the same thing in my manual.
DW10+BE4/5L
Senior Standardshifter

Cold start

Post by DW10+BE4/5L »

If the gearbox is in neutral and clutch is engaged, the starter has to spin the gearbox. If you disengage the clutch the gears won't spin and the starter has that much less torque to overcome. If the battery and/or starter is weak this could make a difference. Citroën Xsara owner's manual recommends depressing the clutch when starting in cold weather in order to reduce the loading of the starter.
I know it shouldn't take significantly longer to

stall -> shift into neutral -> start up engine -> shift into first -> go

versus
stall -> shift into first -> start up engine -> go

but for some reason it takes me a LOT longer. I guess I freak out too much when I stall at a green light and there are cars behind me.
If you keep the clutch engaged in option 1 while starting the engine, the gearbox turns with the engine. When you disengage the clutch and shift to 1st, the synchonization rings must stop the gearbox first which takes some time depending on how much force you apply to the shifting lever.

Also keeping the clutch depressed while the engine is running is discouraged by some. This is because the camshaft end bearing carries the force that is used to disengage the clutch. This might be harmful to the bearing when the engine is rotating. Some say that the camshaft bearings are constructed in a such way these days that it doesn't matter.

If you let the gears spin, i.e. engage the clutch while in neutral, and then quickly shift to 1st, clutch disengaged of course, without waiting for the bearing friction to stop the gears, the synchronization rings must stop the gears. So the compromise would probably be to let the gears spin with the clutch engaged and anticipate the start so that the inherent friction of the gearbox bearing has enough time to stop the gears. But all of this only matters later in the car's lifetime. Modern car powertrains should go at least about 150 000 km without problems in any case.
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Post by jcprov21 »

My care does not have the clutch interlock device on it so i can start my car with it just in N.. Thats why i always put in N before i start it so that i am in the habit of doing it so i dont forget and throw my car into the shed.

But my moms car has one on it so i usually just make sure it's in N and push the clutch down.
beekay
Senior Standardshifter

Post by beekay »

I enjoyed a nice stall after startup the other day because I was really out of it and I forgot that I parked the car in gear. I felt like a tard :P Mostly because my friend was getting in on the passenger side and she was like, "wtf just happened?!"
2006 GTI 6MT
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Post by SteveUK »

Yes you can start your car in gear and the following will happen.

1. ) Clutch in - nothing it starts and everything is fine and off you go.

2. ) Clutch out - you shoot forward (or backwards) like a rocket and go through the garage door.

You should only ever leave your car in gear if you are on a hill. Just incase you forget that it is.

If you stall the way that we are taught to restart is:

Stall
Hand brake on
Neutral
Start car
Into first
Hand brake off
Move off, if safe

This does not take long if you are an accomplised driver.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

SteveUK wrote:If you stall the way that we are taught to restart is:

Stall
Hand brake on
Neutral
Start car
Into first
Hand brake off
Move off, if safe

Yeah, it also helps that everyone around you understood what happened to you.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Post by Hatchman »

six wrote:
SteveUK wrote:If you stall the way that we are taught to restart is:

Stall
Hand brake on
Neutral
Start car
Into first
Hand brake off
Move off, if safe

Yeah, it also helps that everyone around you understood what happened to you.
Exactly. I stalled at a green light yesterday. I wasn't "warmed up" yet for the day. I went to neutral and restarted the engine, then took off as usual. And yep, I got a honk from behind from a slushie. I gave an apologetic hand gesture. When I was on my way, I looked in my rearview to see the honker and she was way behind me talkin on her phone :?

I once had a guy stall in front of me and I cut him tons of slack even though he made me (and himself) miss my advance left turn arrow. We gave each other an understanding hand signal when it happened. We shifters are brothers and sisters 8) Slush drivers are impatient outsiders, most of them anyway.
Sisrahtac
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Sisrahtac »

Just make sure you switch it to neutral if/before you let out the clutch. And make sure the parking brake is set. LOL
Dusty
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Dusty »

i haw a habit of starting my 460 in 1st gear, no clutch, groans the jumps a few feet forward, but i park in my driveway, and i have 100 yards to the road. about the old bad thing about this its kinda hard on the starter, but a ford big block starter seems to last forever. 26 years and counting....yes i rebuilt the motor, but used the same starter!
Found Off Road Daily
1992 Ford Bronco 5.0 4x4