The beast has come...

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: The beast has come...

Post by ClutchFork »

Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

The mystery transmission. So the guy we bought the Mustang from said he had the transmission replaced with a World Class (WC) T5. That would be standard in 85 and up Fox Mustangs with a 3.35 first gear. However, I checked the gear ratio and mine (the supposed WC T5) has the 2.95 first of the non-WC of the 83-84 Mustangs. It also has the upper bolt on the side that looks to be a hex head (non-WC vs the WC torx head per a rebuilder on You Tube). To make matters even more confusing, the transmission is stamped TREMEC on the box under the shift lever and TREMEC did not buy Borg Warner until the 1990s. I wonder did the transmission rebuilder just use whatever cases were available and actually build a WC-strength T5 but with the non-WC gear ratios?

That the tranny and the King Cobra clutch were both installed about 30,000 miles ago and the kid who had the car wore the clutch out in that short time testifies to a strong transmission. We have about 300 pound feet of torque per spec and the non-WC is rated for about 265 pound feet. Well, all I can do is drive it and see what happens. But one thing on my side is that we will never do hole shots or power shifts, and are not likely to hit third gear hard (be way over the speed limit at that point), so this tranny WC or not may well last for now.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Update. The tag on the transmission case is numbered for a T5z which is the super duty according to this site,
http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg- ... D-Tags.htm

In fact my tag number (1352 251 06706) matches the one here (first 7 digits):
https://www.moderndriveline.com/shop/tr ... nsmission/

My gears match that trannys gear ratios.

Still a mystery box, but assuming the remanufacture shop left the tag that was on the original case (and why would they change it), then at least the case must be stronger than the T5 non-WC. Only thing left is I could look in the tranny fill hole and see if the syncro rings are black (carbon fiber WC) or brass (non-WC).
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Speaking of Beasts,.......from "The BBC"

Banana giant held liable for funding paramilitaries

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c6pprpd3x96o
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"